I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Texas and I want to get my little girl, Sophie, sort of a summer haircut but I don't want her shaved. She was shaved once in the past and it looked like her head was too big for her body. Does anyone have any pictures of their cockapoo with a shorter cut? Sophie's hair is very curly.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My 'Lo has longer fur on her limbs, and short body fur. The abdomen is where the most heat is released, so this cut is great in hot climates, while still looking cute.

Short abdomen.

Longer for on body. (half inch?)

Longer mane, stomach and mohawk, real short ribs.

Really long mohawk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pictures. Sophie's body shape is more like Flo's and she is almost exactly the same color. I never knew that most of the body heat is released through the stomach so she could be a little longer in the summertime as long as they shave her belly.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hey, Ennierda, just out of interest, have you ever let 'Lo's hair grow shaggy all over? I'm more of a shaggy dog person myself, but I love the look of 'Lo and can't imagine her looking any different. I am captivated by her face - it's so completely different from the shaggy dog face. Lo's whole cut makes her look totally different to the shaggier dogs on here and I can't imagine them with her cut, or her with their cut.

Flo is a good example of that, in the picture where she got cut really short, her face looked like a different dog!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I live in Texas and I want to get my little girl, Sophie, sort of a summer haircut but I don't want her shaved. She was shaved once in the past and it looked like her head was too big for her body. Does anyone have any pictures of their cockapoo with a shorter cut? Sophie's hair is very curly.
I guess that, in Texas, dogs will be very thankful for a short hair cut - how hot does it get out there?

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Wilf s quite a bit shorter .. picture in process honest !! but he quite curly so he suites a bit shorter cos it just grows out and eventually almost frizzy x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Wilf s quite a bit shorter .. picture in process honest !! but he quite curly so he suites a bit shorter cos it just grows out and eventually almost frizzy x
OK - I really must insist at this point that you get some pics of Wilf and Mabel posted. We are all waiting................;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
OK - I really must insist at this point that you get some pics of Wilf and Mabel posted. We are all waiting................;)
Yes, this is simply getting absurd! :rant: If you absolutely refuse to do it yourself I can help. For a price.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I never knew that most of the body heat is released through the stomach so she could be a little longer in the summertime as long as they shave her belly.
It's the way I've always thought of it at least. :) I know they only sweat through panting and their paw pads, but just normal heat loss must happen, and the thickest body part is normally the hottest. So their thin lean legs in my opinion are better to keep long then their abdomen. I know my kids need less body hair during hot spans or they start to overheat fast, yet don't react differently with leg hair or no leg hair. Though the leg veins are closer to the air, I think the body mass is a deciding factor. And If I only get some long hair, it's going to be on the legs, not the middle. ;)

Hey, Ennierda, just out of interest, have you ever let 'Lo's hair grow shaggy all over? I'm more of a shaggy dog person myself, but I love the look of 'Lo and can't imagine her looking any different. I am captivated by her face - it's so completely different from the shaggy dog face. Lo's whole cut makes her look totally different to the shaggier dogs on here and I can't imagine them with her cut, or her with their cut.

Flo is a good example of that, in the picture where she got cut really short, her face looked like a different dog!
Never her face, I started shaving it at three weeks and haven't stopped lol. Her body was first shaved to about half an inch at about 3 months, then to a 7 at around 4- 5.

I did really try growing out her body once. All over shaggy, and though it nearly killed me I didn't shave her lol. She began to look fat, which really bugged me a lot. The deciding factor was when a vet tech said "she looks big, but she has a really small face!" to a friend... my dog is properly proportioned thank you very much. So if I and everyone else was going to start thinking she was obese or something... I was going to shave it of and make her lean and trim looking again.

I think I'll get some pictures together and post the once fuzzy 'Lo for you soon. :)

I guess that, in Texas, dogs will be very thankful for a short hair cut - how hot does it get out there?
On a bad day, about 105. I AM moving off of this flat lava pit, one day lol. I can't stand it, it's starting to get hot again and I'm starting to wilt, it's awful. :( Soon I'll be waking up before the sun to exercise my dogs, even dusk is to hot around here.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
On a bad day, about 105. I AM moving off of this flat lava pit, one day lol. I can't stand it, it's starting to get hot again and I'm starting to wilt, it's awful. :( Soon I'll be waking up before the sun to exercise my dogs, even dusk is to hot around here.
Wow! We all think that it would be great to live somewhere with good weather, but I guess it can be too good. The last two days have been really beautiful here - walking in a T-shirt in the sun, but I actually felt too hot on our walk - and it was only around 15 degrees! Gonna have to get out earlier in the summer. And Dylan is using the pools and puddles to cool off and they have got stagnant and SMELLY :( Have had to bath him and I can't do that every day so somehow I have to stop his fun.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I just had to use an online converter - 41 degrees C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blimey, that's hot!

Helen, I was just thinking on my way home yesterday that, at 17.5 degrees (according to my car), yesterday was hotter than a lot of days in August last year! Which goes to show what a c**p summer we had last year!

Yep, if I lived in Texas, Rosie would definitely be making friends with a hair trimmer.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
WOWZER THATS HOT!!! but its a dry heat right ;) kidding...we are at -1 celcius today....I think I need to get myself somewhere warmer.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Come to England - it's a beautiful day today! I'm working from home, but anytime I don't need to be on-line I keep going out into the garden to sit in the sunshine. It must be about 17-18 degrees today and no clouds in the sky. The kids have even got sunscreen on, but they've both inherited their Daddy's Scottish skin (one is a redhead too), so it doesn't take much for that.

Rosie is loving it!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ahhh can't wait for some warm weather, though I would die at 105. I max out at around 85-90 and can't move hahaha though it is terribly humid here which doesn't help. Give me 60-75 and I'm a happy happy person.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I want warmer weather too, waaah!!! We still have tons of snow and ice though. I want to see some green grass and flowers...

·
Registered
818 Posts
walking in a T-shirt in the sun, but I actually felt too hot on our walk - and it was only around 15 degrees!
You mean celsius right? (I use f, so it would be 50 ish) I consider that a little cold, I'd at least have a jacket on. My family are a lot worst then I though, I can have on a sleeve less thin shirt (want darking arms!) jeans and boots, and they have on scarves and thick jackets lol. I wish I could move out there now. What are your coldest temps?

Yes, its very hot Louise, I'l already dreading it... for about 2/3s of the summer we should be able to stay in the 90, but barely.

It's not dry sadly Amanda, it's high humidity most days and even a two minute trip outside has you feeling sticky. :( Even if I walk at midnight to give it 4 hours of dark to cool of, I'll still sweat.

Lia, I'm the same way, I like it 60 or 70, once you hit 80 I just start to slow down, 90 I stay in the house all day every day. (besides for one before the sun walk so the dogs keep sane)

The best I can offer are pictures of dogs running in greenery Kelly, if you'd like them lol. =)

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
icky I hate humid but that is how our summers here are too we fluctuate from +40 celcius (in heat wave) to -40 celcius ( oh how painful)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts