I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Grooming

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  doodlebug 
#1 ·
We have our two dogs trimmed at a local Dog Groomers after much searching we are really happy with them. The other day we met another Dog Groomer at a Show that told us we should get our dogs tummies shaven down to near enough nothing in the summer as this will keep them cool. She said the fur down the sides will hide the bareness of their tummies. Has anyone else had this done and found it helps keep them cool. Holly being brown seems to suffer more in the heat so was wondering about getting it done in a couple of weeks at their next visit. Though at the moment with the wind and rain i think they need their fur he,he.

#4 ·
i like my girls tummys shaved more so because Gypsy in particular has very fine hair on her tummy but lots of it so it apears thick and you only have to look at it funny and it will matt, not a nice place the sit and brush. most groomers shave the tummy and genital arias as it is cleener and more higenic. i also litly shave down the inside thighs as it reduses matting their aswell and look neeter.

#5 ·
Had mine scalped at the end of April, very short all over apart from their beards ! Their fur was like velvet - beautiful altho I prefer them with longer hair.
They have only just grown back to how I like them, all fluffy and beginning to curl, but they're going for a face and feet trim this wk before we go away, and then a proper cut in about a month, but not quite as short.:)

#6 ·
Francesjl, we learnt our lesson with Bayley as we left him to get too long and then couldn't get rid of the matting underneath him and had to have him scalped all over he looked like a sheared sheep, so now we have them both trimmed regular. We do like the shaggy look but try and keep in between now. It certainly makes it easier to keep them clean and they seem to enjoy their pampering day and smell delicious when they come home. Think i will get their tummies trimmed short now after watching JD video.

#13 · (Edited)
i have seen dog delt with in a much rugher manner than this, in order to groom a dog you do need to manipulat them into a position than makes thing easier and quicker for both yourself and the dog. i use both nooses and belly straps on my girls. the meard in the easiest way to hold a dogs head still as you donot want them flinching when you have skissors near their eyes. some dogs are also so laid back on the table that they make it harder for you to do your job, only the other day we had a cokapoo in who would not stand for me as he just wanted to sleep under the heat of the drying but i had to strap him up as his leg were a mess.

personaly i still prefer to cut down through the matt in the direction the hair falls rather than pulling the coat i have a similer tool to the coat king but still preffer my scissors combe slicker and les pooch after 4 years of using that combination of this l think its one of the best ways of getting mats out of a dog.

i think some groomers a crull fo scalping a dog rather than spending the time to work on their coat. how many of you have complaind that the groomer has shaven your dog to beond recognition.

#23 ·
My wife usually does all the posting on here, though I do like to read the forums for the hints and tips, and stories from happy owners. As I see it, this is what this site is all about, people sharing with other people their delight in owning a cockerpoo.

So it is at this point where I have to put something on here myself, as doodlebug appears to have a problem with JukeeDoodles. Let me relate what I witnessed in my dealing with them.

Firstly, we went to several places to look at Cockerpoos. Most of the dogs were lovely little things, but there was never that 'just right' feel about them. Then we went to see Steve and Julia. They could not have been more welcoming. Without us even asking at that point, they offered to show us EVERY bitch they had, as well as Marley, their full grown cockerpoo, and their stud poodles. The way that every dog reacted to Steve and Julia spoke volumes.

We instantly feel in love with Marley and Ziggy, (one of the stud dogs), and decided there and then that we wanted a male puppy fathered by Ziggy. JukeeDoodles felt right.

We went back to look at the dogs several times, it was never a problem, we were always made to feel welcome, and anyquestion we had was answered quickly by phone or e-mail. We asked for photos, hints and tips, and general information about cockerpoos, it was never a problem.

When we finally got our Bayley, we have had nothing but fun with him. He's a nice natured, (if a little on the dim side!) dog, who is healthy and we wouldn't be without.

So would I recommend Jukeedoodles? Yes, and have done on many occasions. Would I get another one, of course I would, (though not at the moment, 2 is quite enough thank you!!!!!). Am I happy with the dog we got from Jukeedoodles, yes, 100% yes.

Doodlebug, you are of course allowed to have a veiw and a say. But, if I was you, I'd go to see Jukeedoodles, meet Steve and Julia, meet the dogs, see the puppies and how they are cared for. Ask them questions. Then, and only then, can you form any sort of opinion. I'm sure that there are many other people that also use this site, that will tell you almost the exact same story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.