I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Grooming

11K views 83 replies 15 participants last post by  cockawho 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, I'm new to posting. I have a 8 month old Cockerpoo she has a few little matts in her coat, which I am trying to get out. But was wondering if I keep her coat regularly brushed and cared for, do I have to have her clipped. She is beautiful the way she is and don't really want to have her hair cut short!

Thank you in advance

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I think I'll keep her coat long for as long as I can manage to maintain it myself with the occasional visit to a groomer. She doesn't mind being brushed for a while but gets bored and fed up if I take too long, so will just have to see, also think I will have to wait and see if her coat changes, (hope fully I'll be lucky and she'll be like flo!) at the moment it is so soft and loose curls so easier to get matts out. I too am worried about using scissors as she fidgets and would hate to nip her.

Thank you everyone for all your advise.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
"Light trim all round" booked

Cos it keeps growing you'd have to at least keep trimming it. Just make sure you are specific with a groomer what you want maybe take some photos... as i ve said before I killed myself laughing the first time Wilf was cut dont think I impressed the groomer and she wanted to keep him short so that the job was easier for her but if i d have wanted a short haired dog Id have got one .. I wanted a lamb. But his coat had started to grow outwards and had lost its shine and was almost sarting to look frizzy.. I've found the more its been cut its got curlyer... just know what you want and ask for it x
Well I've been brave and booked a grooming appointment..........so watch this space. Will post before and after pictures!

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Who are you using .. I used Plush Puppies .. she s mobile and comes to the house in a fully equiped transit . Who ever you use Id show them pictures of what you want.. especially if they have nt done a cockapoo before x
Oh wow, what a coincidence Plush puppies is who've I've booked. I see her van everyday as my little boy goes to the same school as her kids, so thought it would be handy! was think of showing her pics of your flo if you don't mind!

Discussion starter · #16 ·
I too love the long look, but am struggling with the black dog that comes back from walks too!!!!!!
Did you every read a book called "Harry the Dirty Dog"? well if you did, that's my bramble ha ha

Discussion starter · #20 ·
wilfiboy (Karen) - thanks for picture, wilfiboy looks lovely, not too short, and I think I've seen the poodle looking cockerpoo your talking about that's why I'm so worried about getting her clipped! Wow 4 hours, not sure if Bramble will have the patience for that, did you stay with her when she did it, I was hoping to so I could get a few tips. I tend to walk at the rocks at the weekends and then when the evenings get lighter I'll be there, so its only a matter of time before we bump into each other :)

Discussion starter · #39 ·
This is exactly what's happening with Bramble, matts appearing on front legs and chest. Keep trying to get them out, bought a matt splitter, but scared to use it as it has sharp blades! She is booked in to be groomed 29th so will try to wait until then? Will also try and post before and after photo's - if I like the results?

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Gosh she looks fab, I so wish you lived around the corner and you could help me with bramble. I love the look, hope you don't mind if I print out a pictrue to show my groomer?

Discussion starter · #62 ·
Hi Everyone, as I started this Post, thought I should show you pictures of how brambles first "Grooming" turned out. When she came through the door it was a shock, as she was so long and shaggy, but I am REALLY pleased with the results, her fur has gone right back to being as soft as puppy fur and we all just can't stop cuddling her.

Thank you to you all for your advice, and here are the pics!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Oh and Mandy , Bramble looks lovely .. how long did it take ?
It took 2.5 hours! All the time my front room window had to be open for electricity brrrrrrrrr but it was worth it, I think she'll be much easier to look after now. Although my Husband thinks Debs swapped bramble for another dog in the back of a van as she's suddenly turned into a dog with attitude, want come back in park etc........... Adolescence I guess? Maybe have to start a post on that to get some advice on how to get my old dog back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.