I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took Riley to the vets to be microchipped and have a Rabies Vac as we are going to France in the Summer.
I explained to the vet that when Riley was 11 weeks I had taken him to be microchipped but after several attempts (was horrible) the chip would not stay in as his skin was too thin so I was a little worried how he would react.
Anyway the microchip was fine, no reaction at all but when he gave him the rabies shot Riley growled as I was holding him and the Vet gave him a really good telling off, which I can understand as he needs to know who's boss etc etc, but he then continued to almost tell me off as I comforted my pup. After the growl and the telling off I can only describe the sound that came from Riley as 'crying' it wasn't a yelp but a really sad 'you hurt me' noise, I moved my hand to rub his neck and tell him it was over and the vet said' You see, these dogs are too smart, you petting him just tells him everything I said was rubbish, you don't want an aggressive dog so you tell him No and ignore him until you get home, he isn't used to being told No!' I told him he absolutely is always reprimanded if he doesn't behave and came out feeling a bit shocked.
I also realised they didn't even weigh which I would have expected as part of a vaccination/consultation.

Am I wrong to be cross, I don't want to go back there and had already decided this vet (which was one breeder used) was too far anyway but also don't want to over-react?

Tracey

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
If you know the name of the vet just ask for another vet in the practise. most witll have aatleast 2 or more and some will be more poppular than others.

lol when gypsy last went to the vet she was eyeing up the vet and she asked if she needed muzzled. i said no and just pulled her head in to me.

some vets are just funny. they deal with dogs when they are in pain so they get them when they are grumpy they dont see them the rest of the time.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I would never tell a dog off for growling either. As far as I am concerned growling is a way for a dog to vocally tell me it is unhappy with a situation. Tell them off for growling and they may well stop growling and escalate to a bite with no warning instead.

I do take firm control of my dogs head at the vets so if anyone gets bitten it is likely to be me rather than the vet which vets seem happy with. Molly did growl the first time she had acupuncture - she was not told off but was reassured it was OK and she is now far more relaxed about it and tolerates it with no growling - she even managed to wag her tail with her needles in last visit :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Poor little Riley - hope he is ok today :) When Beau was chipped last year and yelped our lovely vet picked her up and cuddled her. Beau also had to have an antibiotic injection last year and yelped when she was given it as was already in pain and unwell and the nurse handed her to me and told me to cuddle her. I wouldn't go back to a vet who reprimanded me OR told me what to do with Beau if she was upset! It is your prerogative to go where you like as you are the one paying and if you aren't happy then change vets and hopefully you will get a more positive experience :) Big hugs to you and Riley :D xx

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
The only thing I find strange from your post is that your vet thinks a dog can understand every word he has said :confused: and then by you reassuring your pup have enabled the dog to then DECIDE that what he has said is rubbish..............Dogs don't think like humans and you would think a vet would know that.
You absolutely done the right thing reassuring Riley, he wasn't misbehaving, just communicating that he wasn't happy, poor boy.

If you aren't happy change your vet, I have two that I use. Its absolutely fine to pick and choose, find one you trust and can have a good relationship with :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
I can completely understand what you are going through. The same thing happened to us last time I took Scarlett for her shot. She growled at the vet because she remembered him "hurting" her last time. Now my vet was a little more calm than yours and didn't yell at me, but he did make me feel bad - like I wasn't doing a good job raising my pup. There are 2 doctors at our vets office and I am going to see if I can switch to the other one, who came highly recommended; maybe you will have to do the same. I am so sorry that the vet spoke to you like that - obviously you are taking good care of your dog and he is just a baby so that is how he is letting you know that he doesn't like what he is feeling. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all, have confirmed what I already felt - to add fuel to the fire he was head honcho and wrote notes for Riley on someone else's card! and wrote someone else's details on the microchip form!!! Eeeekkk, how much more evidence do i need to change - not going again!!!

Now off to cuddle my 'dangerous dog' lol!

xx

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would never tell a dog off for growling either. As far as I am concerned growling is a way for a dog to vocally tell me it is unhappy with a situation. Tell them off for growling and they may well stop growling and escalate to a bite with no warning instead.

I do take firm control of my dogs head at the vets so if anyone gets bitten it is likely to be me rather than the vet which vets seem happy with. Molly did growl the first time she had acupuncture - she was not told off but was reassured it was OK and she is now far more relaxed about it and tolerates it with no growling - she even managed to wag her tail with her needles in last visit :D
Yes great point re the growling, I too had good control over his head so if anyone would get bitten it would have been me

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Oh Riley boy,
I hope that you don't think all vets are awful!
As said above, Vets do have to deal with dogs when they are generally at their worst. But, he should know that 1 growling doesn't necessarily mean aggression, just like a tail wag doesn't always mean a happy dog. and as a vet he should have some level of professionalism with you.
That would be like me as an interior designer, designing a home for someone and they decide to hang a piece of art somewhere that I would not have, and then I go and tell them off for it!
sorry, not going to happen, in essence, you are paying the vet for a service, if he would like to tell you how to teach your dog something he should do it in a constructive way. and not reprimand you as the owner.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You are right to be upset some vets have no 'bedside manner'. At my practice there is a super male vet and a rather snooty female vet who is very condecending. Another female vet who I have not seen recently(I think she has moved on!) seriously upset me after I was trying to discuss my terriers problem and giving reasons for it(ie both my parents were ill and in different hospitals) when she snapped "do you want me to treat her or not". I never saw her again and made a complaint to the practice who I have been with for over 25years.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd definitely change. You have to be able to trust your vet and if you have that feeling he isn't right for you, then he isn't.

For the first couple of minutes of the consultation, our vet actually gets down onto the ground with Boston and smothers him with lots of hugs and kisses. He also gets a lot of love from the ladies at reception too, so now he just loves going to the vet and actually pulls to get in there quicker. Will be interesting to see if he still feels this way after having the snip this week!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd definitely change. You have to be able to trust your vet and if you have that feeling he isn't right for you, then he isn't.

For the first couple of minutes of the consultation, our vet actually gets down onto the ground with Boston and smothers him with lots of hugs and kisses. He also gets a lot of love from the ladies at reception too, so now he just loves going to the vet and actually pulls to get in there quicker. Will be interesting to see if he still feels this way after having the snip this week!
I want to come to your vets!!! Good luck with the snip hope he soon feeling better

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yesterday I took Riley to the vets to be microchipped and have a Rabies Vac as we are going to France in the Summer.
I explained to the vet that when Riley was 11 weeks I had taken him to be microchipped but after several attempts (was horrible) the chip would not stay in as his skin was too thin so I was a little worried how he would react.
Anyway the microchip was fine, no reaction at all but when he gave him the rabies shot Riley growled as I was holding him and the Vet gave him a really good telling off, which I can understand as he needs to know who's boss etc etc, but he then continued to almost tell me off as I comforted my pup. After the growl and the telling off I can only describe the sound that came from Riley as 'crying' it wasn't a yelp but a really sad 'you hurt me' noise, I moved my hand to rub his neck and tell him it was over and the vet said' You see, these dogs are too smart, you petting him just tells him everything I said was rubbish, you don't want an aggressive dog so you tell him No and ignore him until you get home, he isn't used to being told No!' I told him he absolutely is always reprimanded if he doesn't behave and came out feeling a bit shocked.
I also realised they didn't even weigh which I would have expected as part of a vaccination/consultation.

Am I wrong to be cross, I don't want to go back there and had already decided this vet (which was one breeder used) was too far anyway but also don't want to over-react?

Tracey
Oh how horrible. My old vet was a bit stern with Pushca and she would shake if I took her there so we moved vets to a lovely French lady... Plus the old vets was so expensive and charged me £120 for kennel cough. I say move vets. I just asked all my doggy walker friends for recommendations
Good luck

·
Registered
532 Posts

Where abouts is your vets please? I'm in South London. Sounds a great one to me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.