I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, hoping for some advice. We bought home our puppy last week 馃槏 however, yesterday she has began to growl and nip one of my children when she touches her when trying to sleep. We have told the children some rules on when not to touch/pick her up. We have a crate which she wasn鈥檛 keen on but today every time she led down for a sleep I picked her up and put her in the crate hoping she would get used to it and start putting herself there as the children know not to touch the crate.When picking her up this afternoon she began to growl again. At night time we have her upstairs in a basket and during the day downstairs with the crate door open and our dining room for a bit of freedom. We are thinking perhaps we need to change the bedtime situation and have her in the crate downstairs at night instead of upstairs with us so she knows she only has one bed and maybe not to confuse her? Sorry for the long post just wanting some advice on what is best 馃槵

Registered
I would growl too if someone touched me when I was trying to sleep - firm rules needed that if the children want to interact with the pup they should call her to them and if she does not then leave her alone. Make the crate the wonderful place where she gets treats and food and all her toys as well as a great place for a snooze with a comfy bed and she will soon be choosing to go there. Maybe for tonight have her upstairs sleeping in the crate in your room and give her a couple of nights of that and then move the crate downstairs when she is happily sleeping in there for the whole night.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you I will give that a try. The children have been told some ground rules and was sticking to them yesterday. Thanks for your reply

1 - 5 of 5 Posts