I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning everyone,
Ok, this might be a stupid question but when do puppies learn to bark? I haven't heard Obi bark (or even attempt to) yet and he often makes squeaks like a guinea pig! He seems quite happy and will 'squeak' whilst wagging his tale so I don't know whether he's fearful or it's just his way of communicating. I don't want a dog that barks lots anyway but then I don't want a mouse either! Is your puppy barking yet/how old are they?

Might have to change his name to Sir Squeakalot ;)

Clare

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Gosh I opened the thread thinking you were asking which pet to buy lol andd was all fired up to argue the cockapoo's corner. I really dont know when Wilf was little he used to do a little squeeky thing when he was playing with other dogs especially if he could nt catch them. Mable's 7 months and she does bark but cant think when she first did, she barks if other dogs are on the tv and if dogs walk past the house... but has learnt that from Wilf i think... but cant think how long she's done it for x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Just consider yourself lucky - I didn't want a dog that barked much either and I got Dylan - possibly the noisiest dog on the planet :(

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I think Izzy always barked, I got her at 10 weeks and her bark was cute, but louder than I would have expected. Her bark matured and is now quite deep for her little stature! xx

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
WE got lady at 12 or 13 weeks...she didn't bark untill she was about 5 months old....it was cute when she did it for the first time...she scared herself and looked around for what made that noise. lol

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Delta is driving me mad, the other barck but she barks all the time at just about everything, very anoying when my brother comes in a 1 in the morning most nights and she kiks off every time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Some pups will bark early, even 5 -6 weeks! But some take a long time, even to 6 months. Depends entirely on the dog, but believe me if he turns into a hyper alert guard dog, you're going to want this quite time back lol.

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WE got lady at 12 or 13 weeks...she didn't bark untill she was about 5 months old....it was cute when she did it for the first time...she scared herself and looked around for what made that noise. lol
LOL, bet that was funny to watch!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the no-barking! There are two dogs on my street who bark ALL the time (they seem to set each other off) and it does get a bit wearing, especially when I'm trying to get the kids to bed. I was just curious. More concerned that the squeaking was him being overly anxious.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Ooh Mable could win any dog on the crying whimpering front she'd cry if she was tired, hungry you name it . There are a few dogs on our street and Wilf was fairly quite when he was younger .. but he joins in with the corus now and often gets brought in. We went to stay with friends no neighbouring barks ... no barking Wilf.... heaven x

·
Registered
710 Posts
Rufus didn't bark much when we got him, but now that it's summer and all the windows are open he barks a LOT during the day... whenever people walk by, whenever he hears something strange. It's quite annoying!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Poppy just barked for the first time today - she will be 12 weeks on tuesday. For no reason she decided to repeatedly bark and pounce on her toy for about 5 minutes - was hilarious! Same as Cara, Poppy's bark was louder than I expected.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our pup oscar barks but he also does a kind of meow too which we all fall about laughing at when we hear it - i thought you were going to be asking about the appearance of you dog, oscar is about the same size as a guinea pig ,,,,,,:p :p :p :p

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oh so funny thats what we used to say is she meowing again !! .... and we quite liked kitty as a name, a bit tongue in cheek as well, but thought people might think us a bit strange lol x

·
Registered
235 Posts
Harley (8 weeks) barked, well sort of barked but he does a yawn with a squeek at the end very funny I can only just pick it up if holding him and he yawns into my hearing aid!!does anyone elses do a squeeky yarn????
You do know you can train a dog to bark and stop barking!!! very useful having an off switch!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The funniest thing for me is the huffing and grunting when she is told off or has to do something she doesn't want to do. Reminds me of my daughter at the hair flicking age! xx

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Mine both did that yawn with a squeek/miaow at the end but only when little ...they've both grown out of it. Mable does a sort of back of the throat low growl in the morning when she greets you x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
You do know you can train a dog to bark and stop barking!!! very useful having an off switch!
I know I could train Dylan not to bark so much, but he enjoys it so much! When he is retrieving balls or sticks he barks constantly, but he wouldn't have so much fun without it. But there are other times when I could really do without it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Noodle barked at about 10/11 weeks - but rarely barks. She doesn't bark when anyone comes to the house, she just gets all worked up and overexcited that there's someone else to play with and pees herself. The only time she barks is when she's playing with her toys - she growls, barks and pounces on them and then shakes them in her mouth - I guess some sort of hunting game!!! We can go days without any barking...

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
WEll this isn't about barking....but lady fell asleep whith her head on my lap yesterday afternoon, and she was making the funniest little squeaks when she was sleeping....I wonder what they dream about

1 - 20 of 23 Posts