I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has gone and booked a groomer to come and give Treacle the "works"
I am now speaking to him again [just] but I love the long look and do not want her to have too much cut off. Her hair is silky soft with no matts - she looks shaggy and needs to be able to see again!
Is there a good website with hairstyles for dogs [my husband is killing himself laughing at me as I type this!]
I want to show the groomer my ideal look for her rather than try to explain it!
:D

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
have you seen any photos of cockapoos on here that you like ? tell the groomer just a bath and a light trim

·
Registered
322 Posts
As a groomer I can say a pic tells a thousand words.
I groom a fair few cockapoos.
There are comb/guard attachments like we " grade 3 etc" for our hair.
The longest attachment is an eight.
I'd go for an eight all over, six on the head and ears. All the sanitary areas and arm pits as short as u can go.

This will give u a consistent cut for your dog to have, hair always grows back!

A pic will give u the face you want, I will try an upload some line drawings of face/ beard options from one of the popular grooming guides.

Hope this helps.
A

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd go for an eight all over, six on the head and ears. All the sanitary areas and arm pits as short as u can go.

A pic will give u the face you want, I will try an upload some line drawings of face/ beard options from one of the popular grooming guides.

Hope this helps.
A
Hi,
I'm a hairdresser and have used clippers for many years, this is probably a silly question but I presume the grade attachments are different lengths to hairdressing clipper grades, and where do you get them from. The grooming clipper sets I've seen only seem to come with 4 grades. The websites I've looked on don't seem to show the 5-8 grades. I'm going to have a go at home grooming in-between having her done professionally to keep costs down (Although, I take a dim view of my clients having a go at doing their own hair!!!)
Pip X

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi,
I'm a hairdresser and have used clippers for many years, this is probably a silly question but I presume the grade attachments are different lengths to hairdressing clipper grades, and where do you get them from. The grooming clipper sets I've seen only seem to come with 4 grades. The websites I've looked on don't seem to show the 5-8 grades. I'm going to have a go at home grooming in-between having her done professionally to keep costs down (Although, I take a dim view of my clients having a go at doing their own hair!!!)
Pip X
I home groom and have listed all my stuff here including comb attachments that go from 1-8 http://www.mydogslife.co.uk/2011/08/11/home-grooming-flo-diy/

Adam - Can you recommend a good slicker please? The cheap Mikki slicker I'm using doesn't get right through Flo's coat properly.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts

Hope this helps.
A
Kendal may be able to help as well!

aww thanks, im still learning i know what i like but i allso know it changes with the weather, a shorter coat in the winter does make life easier.

very interested in your drawings, perhaps you could post some before and after shots of the next cockapoo you do?

the beauty of our breed is that the coat grows back.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Mandy - Flo looks fabulous, you've done a brilliant job. I've been trying to keep Phoebe's coat groomed since it grew after her last scalping, hopefully by the time Izzy's adult coat is in I'll have got the hang of it! Are your clippers dog ones? I have human ones I'm using just now, grades are only from 1 -4

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If she has no matts i would just ask for her to be combed etc and washed and maybe just get her face area trimmed,i think On the JD grooming video Julia cut Buzzs face nice she had his ears cut shorter rather then left longer and this gives the teddy bear look.Also id have the underneath clippered as you dont really see this area and this is the part that gets matted .

·
Registered
236 Posts
We kept Jess fairly short, this is the 13mm (biggest) guide on the Wahl clippers. We will let it grow out for the winter.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Kendal
Here are some line drawing examples.
It's from a book called notes from the grooming table, great crimbo gift!

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Kendal
Here are some line drawing examples.
It's from a book called notes from the grooming table, great crimbo gift!
oh i have toat book but not looked at it in years mum got it for me when i first started at the kennels, will go dig it out the cupbored

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah thanks everyone - pictures are great - will post a before and after on - but I think the trim will just be her face and around her sanitary areas x

1 - 20 of 24 Posts