I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, i have been a bit quiet about this, but i REALLY need some advice, have found a 12 wk puppy on a site, he is being sold on as the people who brought him are finding it all too much, as they have a six month old baby, and husband works full time, which i ca nsee would be hard. well they told me yes , the breeder told them he has come from eye tested stock, but they havent seen or got the proof to show me.he is obviously going to be snapped up quite quicly by somebodY not as fussy as me, so what do i do? i really want to take him,some body will for sure, the lady has given me more time to think about it, she sounds l;ovely, HELP!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
right, i have been a bit quiet about this, but i REALLY need some advice, have found a 12 wk puppy on a site, he is being sold on as the people who brought him are finding it all too much, as they have a six month old baby, and husband works full time, which i ca nsee would be hard. well they told me yes , the breeder told them he has come from eye tested stock, but they havent seen or got the proof to show me.he is obviously going to be snapped up quite quicly by somebodY not as fussy as me, so what do i do? i really want to take him,some body will for sure, the lady has given me more time to think about it, she sounds l;ovely, HELP!
The biggest thing that stands out a mile here is - why haven't the breeder taken the pup back ????????? - the pup is only 12 weeks old !

There is another post just added to about the "eye test" - if it was a BVA test then that is just a spot-check done at a vet's - if they breeder had carried out a PRA DNA test and the result was "Normal/Clear" then they should most certainly be able and willing to confirm it with the relevant paperwork.

As a breeder myself - I would not hesitate to take back any puppy at any age and then look to find them a "forever home".

There are puppies out there and most with more than an acceptable degree to paperwork, checks, health and breeding - so is jumping on this pup a head thing or a heart thing !?

Whichever way you go - places like this site, The Cockapoo Club of GB and no doubt the Cockapoo Owners Club would be happy to help with advice and support.

Stephen xx

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I agree, the family rehoming it should go back to the breeder. The problem is though alot don't as they want to try and recoup some of the money they have spent. It is a shame. Even though they might not be legally binding I still think contracts could deter some from selling on.

I know it is tempting when a pup is there and available and it all just might be ok but there are too many alarm bells ringing for my liking. Good luck with your decision. :)

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
but they have no certificate? or a health guarantee? or an origional contract for him. Just ask where they got him, and do a quick bit of research on where they got him.....

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
You have received good advice already. I had the same dilemma a while back
when a lady on here was looking to rehome a 5 Month old dog because she
had become allergic to it..she posted some videos of the dog running around on a beach and it was very cute. Unfortunately she could not obtain proof of
eye or health testing from the breeder because they had fallen out. I went to quite a bit of trouble to find the information out independently but without success. In the end I decided I was not prepared to take the risk..and in hindsight i know that to have been the right decision. I think it would be hard
to live with yourself if the dog went blind knowing you had not obtained the relevant testing...I'm sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you everybody, i came on asking for advice, before i jumped in, and that is what i have got- good solid advice. No i do not want to jump in and regret it later, part of the reason i want to get another dog sooner than later is because our current dog will be 7 very soon , and i dont want her to be much older, as i feel this wont be fair n her, and what i am looking for is proving hard to come by,so if jukee doodles you do get a pup returned PLEASE think of me, i had a look at your website, and really liked what i saw, but you have an almighty waiting list!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Have you had a look on www.breedersonline.co.uk? There are often puppies available or you could look in the breeder section and call a few. I am sure other members would also be happy to make suggestions of breeders to call....you never know, there might be some puppies available! :)

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi there,

I hope you don’t mind me saying but I noticed you wrote on your ‘homepage’ that you’d like a slightly older puppy because you feel it would be more fair to leave an older puppy during the day. However, if you buy an older puppy it might have previously lived with a family that was in all day and so the adjustment could be all the more difficult. If you get the school holidays off why don’t you try and find a puppy that is available to coordinate with the next holiday? Then you could be there in the early stages and you could gradually get your puppy used to being by itself. When you return to work I’d organise a dog walker - your working hours aren’t particularly long compared to some of the other full-time workers on here but being by itself for that amount of time may still be too much for a sociable dog like a Cockapoo.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! :)

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I totally agree - "now finding the right dog" is certainly better than "finding a dog right now".

We hear all too often "I wish I knew then what I know now" - so I agree - any alarm bell in your head is an alarm bell worth listening to !

If you look at The Cockapoo Club of GB's website (www.cockapooclubgb.co.uk) you will see that we are looking to set-up a list of people happy to re-home or even foster a Cockapoo until it's "Forever Home" can be found.

Having links now with Wood Green Animal Shelter - we hope to be advised of any Cockapoo made known to them - so by all means join and register an interest.

Stephen xx

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
BE VERY CAREFUL! Breeding papers conveniently not available should ring alarm bells. If there is nothing to hide all the information should be available. Never buy a dog out of pity some of these health problems do not show themselves until some years down the line. If someone else was going to snap the puppy up you can bet your life the seller would not give you time to think about it. In the end it is up to you, take the risk at your own expense. If you feel you want the pup go ahead but don't let your heart rule your head. (Easy for me to say!)

Also if they are having problems with the puppy are you experienced enough to take those problems on and resolve them?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i said no to the pup, hard to do but now done. i will look later on breedersonline, i am thinking maybe easte rnow? we are away two weeks in the summer holidays, so that would be difficult, oh i dont know! my head feels all messed up with it all! but i do thank you all for your help, i do listen to things i am told, now just need to find perfect pup/ older pup!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.