I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

i bought a puppy off gumtree. It was all a bit of a rush. The seller told me I would see the mum, he’d been vet checked, vaccinated and chipped. He was a lot cheaper than I expected. Just under 2k from a London seller.

when I turned up to collect the puppy, the man I was meant to see had to go to work so his gf brought him out. the dogs mum was at his girlfriends house allegedly 40 miles away. She had no vaccination or chip details. She phoned the boyfriend seller when he was at work.....he’d left them in his glovebox in his van and couldn’t get to them til lunchtime but he’d forward them onto me at lunchtime. I had my 9 year old son with me who fell in love with the puppy and was so excited. Stupidly I transferred the money and brought the puppy home.

the seller didn’t get in contact with me so I contacted him asking for vaccination and chip details. He said he couldn’t find them. Repeatedly text and called telling him to get in touch with his vet to get the details...no reply. Alarm bells were ringing. Cut a very long story short, in the end he admitted that he hadn’t got the puppy vaccinated but he was chipped But he couldn’t find chip details. Again I asked him to see/call his vet. Then he said someone came to his house to chip. I arranged to get puppy vaccinated the next day..... chip was Romanian! So assume puppy trafficked.

i feel so stupid......I’m not even sure he’s a cockapoo! His tail sits on his back. I’ve been looking at cockerpoo images but can’t see tails. Puppy is very fluffy and when I’ve been looking at images some are.

i reported seller a couple of days ago to gumtree and then he called me. We had a heated argument and he said he’d pay/take him back/pay for his injections when I pressed him on issues.

ive never bought a dog before and feel totally ripped off and stupid! I don’t want a yappy small dog. Do I return him....I don’t know what to do. Can anyone help please?

All very dodgey!

puppy is gorgeous but very fluffy! And his tail sits on his back. That’s not cockapoo is it?
thanks in advance.

k

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
How old is this puppy meant to be? 15 weeks is the minimum age for an imported puppy, does pup have baby teeth or adult teeth? Have you got any photos? How old did vet think pup was?
The dog you need up with will depend on the work you put into it regardless of what it actually is, cockapoos can be small yappy dogs just as others can so I think you need to think of you have the time to train and raise a dog for now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is this puppy meant to be? 15 weeks is the minimum age for an imported puppy, does pup have baby teeth or adult teeth? Have you got any photos? How old did vet think pup was?
The dog you need up with will depend on the work you put into it regardless of what it actually is, cockapoos can be small yappy dogs just as others can so I think you need to think of you have the time to train and raise a dog for now
Now 10 1/2 weeks. He has baby teeth. Vet said he was healthy thank god. The vet said he was a young pup. I asked him if he thought he was a cockerpoo... he said... well he’s fluffy!

He wasn’t legally imported obvs... I doubt anything was legal about it but he’s very cute and he is well loved. I’ve had him just over a week and half and he’s been very good on toilet training. Hit and miss but mostly hit. I’ll be talking him proper training when I can... or I’ll do it online. I’m looking into it.
B902AF92-3158-4795-BA51-16DFC3BC2739.jpeg
D7E70A94-0159-420A-B57F-2A31CD8A70F6.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I agree with the vet and Jo - not a typical cockapoo look. With his origins just be grateful he is fit and well as could very easily be a different story I am afraid.

·
Registered
165 Posts
In the first photo he looks very similar to one of our dogs who is a rescue ? Maltipoo. Sounds like he’s become one of the family no matter what his breed is so as long as he’s healthy that’s what matters. Enjoy your pup 😀

·
Registered
2 Posts
He's absolutely adorable. I would keep him and write the $ off. He looks like my cockapoo who's tale is kind of like that. Barking can be contained. When he barks tell him NO and when he stops tell him what a good boy he is. Mine is a barker too. Loves to go out in the back yard and bark. Put a doggie door in for when he wants to go out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Given what you have learned anything is possible. A true cockapoo is 1/2 poodle and half Cocker Spaniel. Your could be have come from dogs that were not purebred Poodle or CS. He could also me a descendent of cockapoos who also had some mixed breading. As others have said what is important is he is healthy and his personality and behavior will depend more on how you train him. I also find that a dog will take after his owner as well. I used a US Pet Chain to train mine called Pet Smart. The trainer was excellent and I learned things I do not think I would have figured out on my own. Some things like do not let the dog sleep with you until he accepts you as the leader of your pack. If you do let him sleep with you make sure he does not sleep above your head because that will make him think he is the boss. And positive reinforcement is better then punishment should be mild like using a crate to five him a time out.

I do not find your dogs fur to be as big of an indicator of the bread as I do his ears. My Cockapoo has big floppy ears like a CS. Snickers parents were a mMale toy Poodle and a female CS. Here is a picture of him at about 4 weeks and at about 3 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts