I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just registered tonight. We don't have a cookapoo ..... yet ;) I grew up with dogs mainly labradors (working gundogs) but also a dalmation. Now mother of two and not working we as a family would like a dog. Obvious choice would be a labrador (better the devil you know) but our dog will be in the house (childhood dogs were in kennels outside) and therefore a labrador would be too big. Together with this my husband suffers from asthma and this definitely needs to be taken into consideration. After browsing different websites I think I have found what we have been looking for - affectionate, good with children, non shredding, easily trained, not too big = cockapoo.
So here I am on my first steps to find out more about cockapoos with the intention to be a cockapoo owner soon! :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome

first the best idea is to fins a cockapoo you can meet so your hubby can spend some time with it she he can tell if he might have a reaction.

if you do find a litter you like, try and pick the one with the waviest or curliest coat, this will more likely be thee pup that should cause the least reaction.

it im portant that cockapoos are not hipalagenic as they are a cross between a sheding and non shedding breed so their is always the chance the pup may shed a littl or alot.

a 2nd generartion cockapoo my be a good bet as you are mpre likely to find a curlier pup in the litter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and information. How would I go about finding initially a cockapoo owner and then a breeder near me? I have had a look on epupz and breederonline but nothing ... so far. Is there a "wanted" forum somewhere?
Sorry for the silly questions.
Thanks again
P

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
you could always pop an add in the paper asking to meet up with a cockapoo owner, or see if anyone hear is close to you.

i theink preloved and pet4homes have add for puppys.

do you know what you would be looking for English/American cocker cross Toy/Min poodle?

colour, boy/girl?

G

·
hi dont no were you live but if you want to meet me and have a cockapoo outing at my home you are welcome i live in new quay wales janice p.s. or i can find some one were you live who would be happy for you to visit

·
Registered
818 Posts
"non shredding" No their not lol. They have the potential to be, but are not always. You are taking a shedding (cocker) and a non shedding (poodle) and breeding them. It's a true guess if they will, or will not, shed.

The only way you will truly know would be to meet with intend to buy a adult (over one) dog. This way you know for sure the dog is done changing and the coat is set for life.

Be sure your breeder cares about health and not just money, you want at least eyes tested, if not slipped stifle too. Be sure the line you get a pup from is free of epilepsy, both breeds are prone to it and it's a nightmare.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Wilf has never moulted but when brushed there is a certain amount of dander, but Mables puppy coat does moult not sure if this means that her adult coat definitely will... wil have to wait and see. Although I myself am asthmatic I have nt had a problem to her coat, alot of people are alergic to dogs saliva x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Patricia and welcome...

You will get lots of good advice here on cockapoos...

Kendal is right let your hubby spend some time around the litter when you find the breeder for you.

Also a few little tips, find a nice local family / hobby breeder, visit your puppy, make sure you actually like the breeder and trust them, see both parents whether they are cockapoos, a cocker spaniel or a poodle, please make sure your pup has a show type cocker spaniel background rather than a working cocker spaniel, produce kinder temperament pups..

Please let us know how you get on .... and you have picked a great dog choice .....cockapoos are the best.

G

·
jojo may i ask you a question? as you only have 1 cockapoo how do you no that show cocker against or other than working cocker has a kinder temperament ? and you say hobby breeder surely the profesional person has more experience with producing a better quality and health tested dog , from my experience with hobby breeders they are after a quick buck! from the family pet, back to patricia my offer is still open to you and have fun selecting the most wonderful pet .............. janice (romeo)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
and you say hobby breeder surely the profesional person has more experience with producing a better quality and health tested dog , from my experience with hobby breeders they are after a quick buck!
Hi Janice,

Just out of interest - what do you describe yourself as? From what I've seen on your website and from what people have posted on here, I would have said you were the kind of person JoJo was referring to when she said 'family' breeder - you seem keen to raise the puppies as pets before they go to their new family. I presume that some breeders keep them outside in a pen until they are bought?

Louise

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
jojo may i ask you a question? as you only have 1 cockapoo how do you no that show cocker against or other than working cocker has a kinder temperament ? and you say hobby breeder surely the profesional person has more experience with producing a better quality and health tested dog , from my experience with hobby breeders they are after a quick buck! from the family pet, back to patricia my offer is still open to you and have fun selecting the most wonderful pet .............. janice (romeo)
:rolleyes: Ummmmm I don't think it is at all helpful to categorise anyone who breeds dogs using generalisations. There are superb home 'hobby' breeders just as there are professional breeders producing great puppies and also appalling home breeders and professional breeders motivated just by making money, whether on a small scale or large scale. A good home breeder may know their business very well indeed but choose to breed on a small scale for any number of reasons. Many home breeders I have come across only have 1-3 bitches out of choice as they know they can give the dogs and puppies the attention they feel they should. I suppose they could increase the scale of their breeding programme but choose not to.

Am I right in thinking you have quite a few dogs you breed from, as you always have puppies from litters available online? You wouldn't like it if someone said 'in their experience all larger scale breeders were 'puppy farmers''? I expect you prefer people to visit and make up their own minds based on what they see for themselves first hand rather than listening to those who generalise and say that all large scale breeding setups must be 'puppy farms'.

Flo came from a home breeder who had done her research, tested her dam and found a tested and proven stud dog that was a good match in terms of build and temperament for her girl. When we enquired about the litter we were vetted then made a initial visit before we were even considered for one of the puppies. The result has been a very healthy, well balanced dog who is in superb condition and whose most formative developmental weeks were spent in a home with a well informed, experienced owner, her mum and the litter, another spaniel and a cat with plenty of visits from family and friends.

It goes without saying that anyone considering getting a puppy should research well and check out the breeder first hand, whether they are a home breeder or a 'professional' breeder. Unless the breeder is an entirely altruistic person, breeding for the sheer pleasure of producing pups then selling them at cost (food, vet and stud fee) all breeders will be making money whether they have 1 bitch or 50, it's just a matter of scale!

Ohhh - and surely every 'professional' breeding starts out as a 'home' or 'hobby' breeder with their first dog and first litter with some knowledge but also with lots to learn and experience to gain then builds up from there?

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Ditto Mandy , here, here ...there will be good and bad in both just hope potential puppy owners do their research first x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Janice, I can only presume you are a breeder ... I didn't mean to offend you in anyway, I may only have one cockapoo, but I was simply giving some useful advice to a potential cockapoo owner... I do know breeders and I have I been advised and seen for myself that show spaniels tend to produce a family type dog.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I too agree with Mandy. I'm sure there are some excellent "hobby" breeders out there and also some not so great larger scale "professional" ones.

Probably the best advice is to go and visit, see the dogs, meet the breeder in person, do as much research as possible. If the breeder is asking you a lot of questions, eg. do you work, are you around for much of the day, etc, then it must be a good sign.

I have also heard from several sources that cockapoos from working cocker spaniels (opposed to show cockers) and more energetic and require more exercise - I know this is a generalisation, but I guess there must be some truth in it.

Welcome Patricia, I hope you find a wonderful breeder. Cockapoos do make great family pets and we have found them to be excellent with allergy sufferers. My teenage son has asthma and is allergic to most dogs, cats, horses, etc. We were able to spend a morning with a friend's cockapoo and found he had no reaction. As Kendal suggested, if you choose a wavy-curly cockapoo pup I'm sure he/she will have the non-allergy properties of the poodle coat.

All the best :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts