I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have just gotten a new puppy about 1-1/2 weeks ago and we are having some problems getting him to eat (he will be 15 weeks tomorrow). I can get him to eat, but only if he thinks our older dog is after his food ! if I put the food down he walks away, but if the older dog tries to get it the puppy runs for it and eats most of it. Any ideas on how to get him to eat ? this is driving me crazy ! Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purina pro (which is what the breeder was feeding him). So do I just put the food down for a specific amount of time and if he doesn't eat it pick it up ? We leave dry food down for our older dog all the time and the puppy has been grabbing a bite of that every now and then and running with it, which makes the older dog mad !

·
Registered
18 Posts
We are having a similar problem with our 9 week old puppy Pru. The breeder sent us home with some of the food she was on before - eukanuba - but she really is not eating much. We are having to wet it as it is so hard and her teeth can't really cope.

The breeder was also giving her scrambled egg in the mornings, which we are hoping to gradually stop doing as it is a bit of a hassle! I worry she is not eating much though, as she is very tiny - much smaller than her brothers and sisters were.

Also, as she isn't eating much, she isn't pooping all that much either, I guess as there is not much in her to come out!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If you are happy with the food that you are feeding, then you can either just carry on and assume that your pup will eat enough, (check with your vet that pup's weight is ok if you have concerns) or you could put something with it to make it more appetising - some people have mentioned bio yoghurt and others on here use a little piece of Nature Diet (a complete natural wet food) as a kind of gravy. The other option is to switch to a different food, either staying with a dry kibble or moving to a different type. You will find lots of threads on here about feeding and lots of advice. Many of us are now advocates of natural foods, but whatever your preference I am sure that someone on here will have experience to share.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts