I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am new to this and posted my hello on an old thread so apologies :eek:
We are the proud family of a wonderful 12 week old puppy called Poppy - she is absolutely stunning and loads of fun.
We only have one issue, she cries a lot in the night, we have had her for a week now and unfortunately I got into the habit of going down when she cried to stop the kids waking up and she is used to it now. Last night we tried to ignore it but then she started barking so I went down but didn't open her cage, just sat there until she stopped and fell asleep - it took a while but she did settle. We have put a hot water bottle in with her, radio on, top with our smell on it and cover the cage (the breeder recommended that), will this stop soon or is there something else I can do to help her?
Any advice is gratefully received.
Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
You are right - she is a stunner! Very cuddly looking! I'm afraid the way I would do it is just to leave her. The minute you go down to their crying, then they learn that that is the way to get you there. I would rather have the kids waking just to get her used to being left for the night, which should bring quicker results. You sound like you have done all the right things as far as the crate is concerned but the hardest part now will be to ignore the barking and whining! I know it's hard but they are just like babies really and will learn to settle as soon as they learn that making a noise won't bring you to the crate. In the end, it's the kindest thing you can teach a dog to be able to settle alone and to get the sleep she needs. Good luck!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi, poppy is soooooo cute😍😍😍, I agree, we had the same prob with Tilly, I went down for the first 3nights (bad move), on the 4th night even though it broke my heart I left her, she cried all night. 5th was the same, by the 6th night she cried for about 20mins but when she I wasn't coming down she went off to sleep. I haven't had a prob since. She's now 20weeks,and sleeping through the night till we get up the next morning. I have her sleeping in the kitchen with the lights out but radio on down very low, she also has a top belonging to me in her bed, which helps. She has now gone away from the hot water bottle stage but that was really helpfully,
Hope this post helps you, it may take a few sleepless night. But tough love will pay off, I PROMISE,

Good luck😉

·
Registered
103 Posts
See, I do everything that the books say I shouldn't but the end result is that I have NEVER had a night with Ruben crying at all. I figure that they are babies and they must be so scared being left alone at night. From the very 1st night Ruben slept in the bed with me. I know that this isn't for everyone though. Is there an issue with bringing her crate into your bedroom with you? Is it such a big deal to have her close to you at night? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic here, just trying to offer other alternatives. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hello and welcome. I agree, I would leave her to settle on her own, when Arthur was a baby we asked my parents to have our 2 girls for the night while we slept downstairs on the sofa bed and let Arthur bark in his crate until he settled (we pre warned the neighbours!!), its hard but it does works. We also put him into his crate for small periods of time while we were at home during the day and we also always left his crate door open during the day so they he could go in when ever he wanted, I would encourage him to go into the crate on his own by leaving tit bits as a way to reinforce that the crate was a nice place to be. Good luck and just keep going it gets better x

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time :/ Tbh I have done both, with Izzie she whined for a couple of nights but we left her & eventually after a few nights she was fine. However when she got older around 6-8 months, we decided to start letting her sleep upstairs with us, she loves just sleeping on blankets on the floor :)

So obviously whe we got Poppy it was more difficult, she was way more difficult! She howled & whined the place down for hours during the night in the kitchen, quite a few times she seemed to have gotten so stressed that she pooed and her crate was a mess, so we had to sort that in the middle of the night :/ After well over a week of her not settling (probably because she knew that Izzie was upstairs), we decided to give her a go in my mums room (laminate flooring just in case of any messes), however she's been clean & quiet & slept through the night since! Until at least 8.30am every morning :) It's brilliant.

So there's a couple of options, if you really want her crate trained & to stay in the kitchen then persevere, but if you wouldn't mind a dog sleeping on the floor (or some choose in their bed - Poppy sleeps on mine sometimes) then that would always be a good option so that everyone gets some sleep.

It is entirely your choice & I hope whichever you choose to do that your pup settles soon & you get some sleep :) x

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi - thank you all for your advice. Poppy sleeps through now - but starts crying if she hears movement from upstairs, ie if the kids go to the bathroom during the night. She wakes up at 6.30am and cries until we come downstairs - is this too early or is that about the right time for her to be waking up?
Sorry to keep asking questions but don't want to create more problems in the long run. Very tempted to bring her upstairs but don't think she'd stay on the landing and would want to be on our bed.
Thanks
Hurfbird

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi Hurfbird and welcome to the forum ... Poppy is totally gorgeous .. try to stick to a night time routine you wish to continue .. there are no hard rules when night time training, just decide on a routine and stick to it, waking at 6.30am is about right for a young puppy, I know the first few weeks can be hard but they do sleep in eventually.. for example I will come down and let my dogs out and they just look at me as if to say "no not yet mum" :) :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi - just an update, poppy still isn't settling at night, is crying now and we've put her to bed with the radio on low, a kong, blankets etc but this carries on and off until morning. Should we just bring her upstairs? Would the landing be a better option or will she just cry out there for us?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
No advice as on the second night of Beau crying my daughter marched into where she was sleeping, picked her up and took her off to bed and that is where she has stayed ever since but that for us was easier said than done as Madeleine was 17 at the time and so up to her if she wants a pup sleeping with her plus when Madeleine is at a sleepover I get to have Beau sleep with me :) I think everyone else has given good advice above so all I can say is good luck and it does get easier plus Poppy really is a gorgeous pup :)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi - just an update, poppy still isn't settling at night, is crying now and we've put her to bed with the radio on low, a kong, blankets etc but this carries on and off until morning. Should we just bring her upstairs? Would the landing be a better option or will she just cry out there for us?
It depends on whether or not you'd be happy to let her stay upstairs with you in the future & not just for a few weeks, Poppy has stayed upstairs with us ever since we first let her up & has had no accidents and has slept til morning nearly every night (except when she was desperate for a wee in the night & she cried). She's been brilliant :) Izzie has also always stayed in our rooms since we let her up.

If you are okay with that then yes by all means move her upstairs with you, we were happy to do it & it never bothers us :) But it depends on personal opinions. If you would rather have your pup downstairs then keep persevering, at some point it will all calm down, but every pup is different so I have no idea how long it could take. Izzie took only 2 nights, Poppy cried for 2 weeks (then we brought her straight upstairs).

Good luck with your decision, it's hard when you're not getitng much sleep :/ Let us know what you decide x

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You need to get some sleep, can you not have the crate in your bedroom? This should make both of you more relaxed. Personally I don't see this as giving in it is purely a means to an end i.e. a good nights sleep for everyone. You will have to let her out during the night for a comfort break but that is better than cleaning up a mess. As she gets older she will sleep through the night and once she is used to her enviroment you can decide where you want her to sleep, a bed on the landing often works well, good luck!

P.S. I know there are many people who have had sucess with their pup from night one but each dog is different and you have to adapt.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do you know what provoked her to start crying again? I just wondered wether it was because she needed to Toilet and she has possibly learnt to Toilet outside?
It seems strange that she stopped and settled and now has started crying again?
I persevered with Clyde - ear plugs for the children and left him to it - I left the cage door open - small light on and access to Puppy pad for Toileting!
He has stopped crying now - but we do have another cockapoo and I think that helps too!
we take them both out last thing at night for ten minutes - give them both a biscuit - no fuss no night night - just close the door!
Good luck - I really feel for you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.