I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Liz and my puppy is only 2 weeks old and still with her doggie mummy. She is beautiful and her name is Holly. She will be joining a manic household including a husband, our 2 sons, 2 cats both male, a tortoise also male and some stick insects. We love life and having fun but due to my onset of Rheumatoid Arthritis, meniers and fibromyalga I have had to alter my lifestyle. Holly will be my little girl, we can keep each other company and I already have in mind a pink harness with diamanté studs. My husband is already despairing and is probably regretting agreeing to Holly but he has and the deposit is paid. I have never owned a dog before so will probably need advice from veterans!!! I have 2 pics but as yet the site wont let me upload them. I will post pics regularly as this helps me feel in touch with my new baby. :D

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, sounds like little holly will be spoild rotten. not keen on harneses as most dogs just pull more on them.

just watch you dont baby her to much, some dogs can turn that round on you and before you know it they are ruling the roost. i would start calling round training classes in your aria get yourself prepaired to start out on the right foot.

cant wait for photos, it might be that the file is to big and you need to resize them.

what kind of cockapoo is she and what colour.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics sorted

She has a cockerpoo mum and a toy poodle dad. As you can see she is apricot and will probably be small but she is so lovely. I am reading lots and lots to attempt to ready myself.

Due to timings etc she will be 11-12 weeks old when she comes to live here but even so I'm already very excited. Already read lots of posts here and will probably be asking lots of questions....lol.

She will be spoiled rotten but within boundaries as she will have to sleep in a crate downstairs and not in the bedroom with me as I would like. I still have a husband to keep happy!

But once you see the pics you will understand why I fell in love with my baby girl.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi liz, Your baby is a sweety - bet you can't wait!!!! Have you thought of the handsfree leads that you can attach to your waist - definitely worth a shot to save extra pain on your hands (they have an extra hand held bit as well for extra control)!! Just search handfree leashes on google (go for one with elastic as it gives an extra shock absorber!!! Good luck & keep posting the pics j :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a good idea, I will have a look. So much to learn but at least I have some time to source the right ideas and 'stuff'.

I find myself addicted to looking on here at all the post as I am learning some good tips. Anyone has any other ideas I am willing and open to suggestions
xx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
"Smile it can always be cleaned up"

i halve to laugh at your comment in you sig lol i wonder if you will be saying that in a couple of months lol it always starts that way with every pup "aww its only a wee pee" then its nooo!!! dont pee there your right next to the puppy pad lol

but thats the right attitude dont get stressed just enjoy her

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Have you thought of the handsfree leads that you can attach to your waist
A good idea for anyone.

My trainer always complained that I yanked Flo around by her lead too much and should use more treats and praise to teach good lead walking and the lead was really only there to keep the dog safe. Also pulling the dog back using the lead can actually encourage a dog to pull so if you started from day 1 with a handsfree lead you could potentially have a very well mannered dog when out walking who gets loads of positive reinforcement.

We did have someone in one of my classes who only had 1 arm and leashed his dog to his belt and it was much better on lead than all the other dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts