I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I found this site because I was searching for Cockapoo forums since I am a brand new mom to 4 mth old Maisey. I hope I can join in and get your advice. My name is Julie. I am from WI.

I am attaching a pic of my new puppy. I adopted her and was told she is a Cockapoo although when I first saw this pic I thought she was a retriever. She seems large for 4 mths old and also she is completely straight/short haired coated and blonde. I love her to pieces no matter what though and she is a total sweetheart. Introducing Maisey: let me know your thoughts on her size please. She has really large paws also. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Maisey doesn't seem to have the classic look of a four month Cockapoo but she looks adorable! She has long legs and looks like she has lab in her? Could she have been a lab/poodle cross? My Mum has a 6 month old black labradoodle who has big paws and she looks like a white version of her dog? The size would fit a labradoodle puppy of that age aswell.

All that matters though is that she sounds perfect for you! :) Was she a rescue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Maisey doesn't seem to have the classic look of a four month Cockapoo but she looks adorable! She has long legs and looks like she has lab in her? Could she have been a lab/poodle cross? My Mum has a 6 month old black labradoodle who has big paws and she looks like a white version of her dog? The size would fit a labradoodle puppy of that age aswell.

All that matters though is that she sounds perfect for you! :) Was she a rescue?

i think you may be right. I actually thought she was a blonde Golden Retriever when I saw her pic. She is not a rescue. I got her off of CL and when I went to pick her up they showed me her mom who was definitely a cockapoo from the looks of her as well as they said she was and her dad is. But she certainly is large and does have long legs for a 4 mth old cockapoo so I am thinking something is not right there either but as you said she is gorgeous and sweet so I am not complaining. Oh and she definitely has the ears and face of a Cocker Spaniel. Thank you all for the advice.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i think you may be right. I actually thought she was a blonde Golden Retriever when I saw her pic. She is not a rescue. I got her off of CL and when I went to pick her up they showed me her mom who was definitely a cockapoo from the looks of her as well as they said she was and her dad is. But she certainly is large and does have long legs for a 4 mth old cockapoo so I am thinking something is not right there either but as you said she is gorgeous and sweet so I am not complaining. Oh and she definitely has the ears and face of a Cocker Spaniel. Thank you all for the advice.
I would just like to add what a lovely owner you are to Maisie whether Labradoodle/Cockapoo etc as you really just love her for what she is which is lovely to read! She is definitely a lovely looking girl and at the end of the day as long as you are happy with her that is all what matters! She does seem to have ears like a spaniel (I have owned both Cocker and Cavvie so know this maybe right) but as I have said before I am rubbish at this and to be honest who cares as you can still join in with the forum chat etc and keep us updated on her progress etc and you never know you may get a definite idea of what she is :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awww thank you so much. I must start perusing all the pics of your adorable doggies here. Maisey has those puppy traits (not always fun as I am sure you all know..lol) but she really is as sweet as the day is long.

I guess we will know for sure if she is a true Cockapoo as she grows. :)

I got super lucky (blessed) to get her.

·
Registered
509 Posts
She is lovely! As both her mum and dad were cockapoos that would make her an F2. There is something called the "granddad effect" whcih can make the pups look more like a grandparent so she may be going back to the cocker coat and looks. The genetics are such a mix you never know what you are going to get and the F2s sound as if they have the greatest variations.

She is a stunning looking girl :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that info and compliment. When I saw her pick I truly thought she was a retriever or lab and a retriever is my dream dog. But her owner said no way as she was also getting many responses asking the same thing. I feel like I got the best of both worlds since she does resemble a retriever yet will not be as large and if she does end up getting curlier, how adorable she will still be. I am a bit excited to see if she will stay the same as far as coat and how big she will actually get. Now though, since coming here I will probably want a small cockapoo pup at some point but there is no way as I already have a Shih Tzu and 3 cats. Thank you again. I am not great about posting a lot but I plan to try to keep up here and meet you and discuss all your adorable pups.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hello maiseysmo, im a new mum too - Tegan who is a chocolate 10 week old cockapoo. Weve only had her 2 weeks and i have found this site so helpful and it was great to get reasurrance last weekend when tegan had her 2nd injection and was under the weather. Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. x

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hello maiseysmo, im a new mum too - Tegan who is a chocolate 10 week old cockapoo. Weve only had her 2 weeks and i have found this site so helpful and it was great to get reasurrance last weekend when tegan had her 2nd injection and was under the weather. Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. x
Hi and I agree. This site in just a couple days has been so welcoming and helpful. Congrats on your new puppy. Is there a pic here? I haven't had a lot of time yet to do much except ask questions here because as I am sure you know my time is being spent training her..lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She is lovely! As both her mum and dad were cockapoos that would make her an F2. There is something called the "granddad effect" whcih can make the pups look more like a grandparent so she may be going back to the cocker coat and looks. The genetics are such a mix you never know what you are going to get and the F2s sound as if they have the greatest variations.

She is a stunning looking girl :)
Hi Soo, another question to you and anyone else who may know, since my puppy is almost 5mths could her tptally straight hair still end up curly or more wavy? Or is she old enough at 5 mths (in March) to where her coat is going to stay pretty similar? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi & welcome!
She is absolutely gorgeous :D She's probably just taken much more of the cocker look than the poodle look, definitely has a spaniely looking face IMO :)
Were her parents cockapoos then or a cocker spaniel and a poodle?
She could just be bigger due to her mum or dad being bigger, because they are cross breeds they can vary so much.
It would be possible for waves to appear, however tbh I would probably say she will stay quite how she is now, her coat is shorter & straighter so probably won't grow really long and curly like most cockapoos do. Hope that gives you a slight idea :) x

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.