I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, who am I?

I own Labs, my OH works Labs, springers and cockers. So, what am I doing here?

Well, unlike some who believe that there's no place for cross breeds, I do believe there's a place for proven crosses, such as cockerpoos, and Labradoodles, but I also believe in ethical breeding full stop.

So, why am I here?

Simples ;) I'm here to help with the cocker side, should anyone need it. Anyone buying a dog from a breeder, should be presented with the full picture. Too often, whether it's a pedigree pup, or a cross breed, that information is only partial, and presented to look the best. Personally, I have the best interest of the dogs at heart.

How can I prove that?

I own chocolate Labs, one of the most freely available puppy farmed, byb'd to death versions of Labs. I've spent nearly £1k health testing two bitches, only to decide, to spay one bitch, even though I have doubts about the plates that were taken, and if I take one litter from the remaining bitch, I will be happy. If she had one pup, I'd be ecstatic! What could I have made from them and appear to be ethical, at least four litters each ;)

Anyway, enough about me, I do look forward to trying to help if anyone has questions re cockers, and please do not look at me as judgemental, I really am not, just someone who believes that it should be a level playing field for all. Don't judge me just because I have pedigrees, they're just as daft, honest :eek:

Edited to add, I don't bite, honest....

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Hallo and welcome, I have had two cocker spaniels in the past and now have an adorable cockapoo. I dont really have any questions about cockers- we are all cockapoo mad here!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, my mum had to cockers when i was wee, a Mitzi black and Tico a deep deep red/gold and my gran had Mitzi's sister Kizzi

so got a big soft spot for cockers.

do you have any photos of you gang.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi Tarimoor welcome, your imput and experience would be welcomed, great to get a different point of view. Interesting to learn what traits you think are directly from a cocker. You never know we could sway you .... you could end up with a cockapoo or two x

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, I'm afraid, I'm only swayed by ethical breeding, and I know there are some who do this, which is what I hope to highlight by being on here ;)

These are my two girls, Indie and Tau

For those who know about Labs, and the health scores relating, Tau has 0:0 hips, 0 elbows, is CNM Clear and PRA clear cbp, although I will be testing her for PRA if I do breed, as her sire's results aren't on the KC database. I'll also renew her BVA eye cert.

So, what do I know about cockers, a little bit, having brought on a pup to sell on part trained, and also looking after numerous working cockers, yep, I'd guess you could say I know a little bit about their characters. My OH breeds cockers, he only breeds to keep a pup on for himself, and firmly believes against churning pups out for the sake of it, which, to be fair, is a pretty good belief to have!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And cheers back again Sezra, glad you found the barf chart useful!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, hope I can share some useful information, if not, I hope people will learn to ignore me!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Ok, who am I?

I own Labs, my OH works Labs, springers and cockers. So, what am I doing here?

Well, unlike some who believe that there's no place for cross breeds, I do believe there's a place for proven crosses, such as cockerpoos, and Labradoodles, but I also believe in ethical breeding full stop.

So, why am I here?

Simples ;) I'm here to help with the cocker side, should anyone need it. Anyone buying a dog from a breeder, should be presented with the full picture. Too often, whether it's a pedigree pup, or a cross breed, that information is only partial, and presented to look the best. Personally, I have the best interest of the dogs at heart.

How can I prove that?

I own chocolate Labs, one of the most freely available puppy farmed, byb'd to death versions of Labs. I've spent nearly £1k health testing two bitches, only to decide, to spay one bitch, even though I have doubts about the plates that were taken, and if I take one litter from the remaining bitch, I will be happy. If she had one pup, I'd be ecstatic! What could I have made from them and appear to be ethical, at least four litters each ;)

Anyway, enough about me, I do look forward to trying to help if anyone has questions re cockers, and please do not look at me as judgemental, I really am not, just someone who believes that it should be a level playing field for all. Don't judge me just because I have pedigrees, they're just as daft, honest :eek:

Edited to add, I don't bite, honest....

A warm Welcome to you Tarimoor x

You mention a strong desire to be "non-judgemental" - so I take it that someone outside of the forum has invited you over ?

Also your desire to be "ethical" with only stating "4 litters each" - both factors do relate to recent posts on this site - though you are new here ?

I also note that you express an open knowledge of Cockers - is this the range or just the Working you mention in your later post ? .........and you state a "limited" knowledge but openly ask to be quizzed on anything Cocker ?

Excuse my post and my questions - but we have all recently been slightly frazzled by a few members with an alternative view - all too actively looking to inflict views.

Stephen xx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for those who like the cocker side of things, this is the boy I ran on for six months, he was nicknamed 'Miggin' or 'the Pie Man', as he was a little bit on the chunky side initially. My job was to train the recall, which I managed, here he is with the girls, Tau was his favourite Aunty, as I think you can tell:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

You mention a strong desire to be "non-judgemental" - so I take it that someone outside of the forum has invited you over ?

Also your desire to be "ethical" with only stating "4 litters each" - both factors do relate to recent posts on this site - though you are new here ?

I also note that you express an open knowledge of Cockers - is this the range or just the Working you mention in your later post ? .........and you state a "limited" knowledge but openly ask to be quizzed on anything Cocker ?

Excuse my post and my questions - but we have all recently been slightly frazzled by a few members with an alternative view - all too actively looking to inflict views.

Stephen xx
I share your concerns

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Stephen xx
Nobody's invited me over, although I did stumble across the forum via a link from another forum ;)

My introductory post is nothing to do with recent posts on here, I haven't a clue which post you're on about, but will have a browse through and perhaps respond on the correct thread. I strongly believe in the ethical breeding of dogs, and for that to happen, there needs to be a change in how people buy puppies. People need to know the correct facts so that they're not misled by people who don't put breeding stock first, and churn pups out left right and centre.

You could say I have a bit of knowledge about cockers, although anyone who knows cockers will tell you that the breed sort of takes over you, and really you know b*gga all about them. They're an education in themselves.

Let's put it this way, my OH bred a dog that competed in the IGL retriever championship this year, and is out on the grouse moor picking up on various shoots over 90 days every season. His cockers retrieve everything from snipe, to hare and goose ;)

I decided a long time ago, if ever I had to hide anything about my dogs, then I shouldn't be in it with the intention of breeding, hence my forthright and honest approach, apols if that's offputting to anyone, but I say it as it is!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I love Labs but am highly allergic to them :( Your pictures are lovely and I look forward to seeing more xx

Reactions: Tarimoor

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the forum, I love Labs but am highly allergic to them :( Your pictures are lovely and I look forward to seeing more xx
Yes, they do have a very good double coat! Something I'm reminded of every day when I'm sweeping up, chuckle.

These are old photos of me working my dogs, but thought I'd share. Indie, who is doing the tracking, ruptured her anterior cruciate on her left knee in an accident when she was 18 months old, so she's just a retired, big daft numpty. Tau still does the gundog stuff, a little bit, when I have time, inbetween a full time job and a business.

G

·
wellcome tarimoor your cocker boy is chunky !! but lovely am i right in thinking the working cockers come in a variation of sizes and models? unlike the show cockers who seem to fit a standard ? we never see working cockers shown at open or championship show level , we welcome your imput im sure you will be very helpfull romeo/janice

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tarimoor:)

Stephen xx
im guessing im one of the members you're referring to lol, tbh i dont know why my views would "frazzle" you or anyone else for that matter, they're not exactly unsual views afterall:confused:. Now i could maybe understand if the way i had perhaps aired them had done the frazzling as my way of speaking is rather blunt, but i have apologised for this.

I just want to say i have no problem with anyone challenging my views, i will always defer if im proved to be wrong.:)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I can sympathise with you there! I sometimes sneeze when I go to my mum's house as she has a lab. I have spent time with a local cockapoo and seem to be fine with him. I know they are all different but I know if I am allergic I will build up an immunity. I used to be able to tell if people had a cat after ten minutes of being in their house due to my allergies but I ended up rescuing one, that was fouteen years ago! I am fine with him but if I go to my sisters (she has two) I have to arm myself with inhalers before I go, and don't even get me started on horses! :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts