I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we picked up our new, now 9 week-old puppy, Rory, aged 8 weeks. Have been reading various forum threads avidly for several weeks now in preparation and have found different views/advice on topics really helpful. It has generally be a wonderful first week during the day but much more traumatic at night!. Have tried using all of the advice about supporting Rory to feel safe and secure sleeping on his own at night but to no avail as yet unfortunately. House-breaking training is also pretty hit and miss but that seems to be pretty "normal" from many of the posts I have been reading. We are very thankful that Rory has seemed to be getting on with our 10 year-old cat, she is "top dog" at present, she is a bit nervous of Rory but standing her ground and hopefully this will bode well for the future - a couple of pics of Rory attached, will definetly be posting on other threads for help and advice as we continue to help Rory to settle in!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and the gorgeous Rory. Everyone went through much the same as you did in the early days. It will pass! I rarely give any advice on here, as although Teddy is a year old now he is our first dog and we are still finding out things as we go along. There are plenty of experienced people on here, as you have found out. Its a great forum for support. See you around the forum, no doubt:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Trying to keep Rory awake for as much as the evening as possible tonight to hopefully help with sleeping tonight -

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
aww what a lovley face, welcome, cant wait to hear more about you all.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Welcome!

Accidents during house training do not have to be normal, in fact they do not have to happen more then rarely, even for a young pup. =) Do you have a puppy pen or a tether for him?

He's a cutie. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcome all. Dylansmum, once Rory has had his remaining jabs and can get out we will hopefully bump into you, we will probably end up doing most walking at Whipps Cross or short drive to Wanstead at weekends.

Last couple of nights much better, had a terrible night on Friday, tried putting Rory down in the kitchen again in his crate overnight and he whined and barked for about 7 hrs solid again. On Saturday night, scoured the forum for more tips and ended up halving the size of his crate, keeping him awake from 7.00pm until his bedtime at around 11.00pm (very hard to keep him awake as he gets so sleeps after an hour or so of activity!), I downloaded the "Canine Lullabies" CD (which I was a bit sceptical about at first) -

'The combination of these things and I think, mostly the CD, worked really well - just got up at about 3.00am and 6.00am to take him out to pee and put the CD on each time I put him in his crate and stayed with him for a minute or two and he settled each time within a minute or two - fantastic. Same routine last night and worked again which great as back to work today. We are begginning to get a sense of the warning signs that he wants to wee/poo and managing to get him out to the garden most of the time so hopefully he will begin to get the idea .

Rory is getting lots of attention from my daughter and friends, Vet was not too concerned about him being in the garden so fortunately with the good weather his has been out quite a bit. After hours of scouring reviews of dog insurance just got fed-up and ended up going with Asda "premier" at about 24.00 monthly - Pet Plan wanted 46.00 monthly - I think the London post code is really working against us with insurance premiums. Vetsmedicare was very tempting but think we will wait a year with Asda until there are more reviews of Vetsmedicare insurance but the 18.00 monthy premium is very tempting.

Thanks to all again,

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for the welcome all. Dylansmum, once Rory has had his remaining jabs and can get out we will hopefully bump into you, we will probably end up doing most walking at Whipps Cross or short drive to Wanstead at weekends.

After hours of scouring reviews of dog insurance just got fed-up and ended up going with Asda "premier" at about 24.00 monthly - Pet Plan wanted 46.00 monthly - I think the London post code is really working against us with insurance premiums. Vetsmedicare was very tempting but think we will wait a year with Asda until there are more reviews of Vetsmedicare insurance but the 18.00 monthy premium is very tempting.
We are at Wanstead Park most weekends - you can see my pics of it in the "favourite doggie walks" thread. There is another chocolate cockapoo called Marley who is also there regularly - he's much bigger than Dylan.

I agree with you about the insurance - I've noticed that the premiums that everyone else quotes are impossible to find in London. I am with E & L who are by far the cheapest - I get a reasonable level of cover for £12 a month, but I've no idea if they are any good as a company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts