I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I’d just like to introduce the Myers family to I Love My Cockapoo!!!

After years of pleading by my dog obsessed kids I have finally given in and told them they can have a puppy. After careful research we have finally decided that a Cockapoo would fit our family best.

Both my wife and I have had dogs before so we know what a huge commitment getting a dog is and that’s why we have waited until our children are a little older (boy aged 9 and a girl aged 7).

We are searching for the right bitch pup at the moment (see my post in the breeder forum) but we hopefully will have found the right one by the end of May. Any tips/ info appreciated.

This forum seems like a great place to share info and also learn more about the breed and caring for puppies/dogs in general.

Just one query at the moment. I have crate trained a couple of puppies in the past without much issue (one lab / one standard poodle). However, previously I have always had the crate downstairs (during the night) and this time we are considering having the crate upstairs in our bedroom. This is due to the fact that our lifestyle has altered as we have had kids and we spend quite a lot of time upstairs in a evenings with the kids, on the laptops, or watching TV etc.
The pup will be allowed upstairs, it’s just weather we take her downstairs last thing and settle her in her crate in the kitchen (where it will be during the day) or weather we bring it into our bedroom for her to sleep.

I know a lot of these things are purely down to individual preference, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi to the Myers Gang! And welcome to the forum. I think you will love a cockapoo - my family certainly does. Good on you for waiting till the kids are a little older too. I didn't and one of my biggest issues is with trying to retain control over them all at the same time!

As you've guessed, I think most replies will confirm that it is really up to personal preference. What I would say is make sure that you are prepared to keep going with whichever method you start - once they're used to something it could be difficult to change it. So, as long as it won't bother you having a fully grown dog upstairs in your room in the evenings/night-time, go for it. She/he will soon learn that their routine then involves going downstairs to sleep, if that's how you want to start. Just choose something that will fit in with your life and won't stress you out too much!

Good luck finding a breeder, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Like you, we spend our evenings in our bedroom. When we first got Dylan we had him upstairs with us for the evening then put him downstairs in his bed to sleep at night, using a stair gate as we don't use a crate. He accepted that readily and quickly learned that once I had taken him down and let him out for a wee he would then just get into his bed and not try to follow me upstairs. But we found it hard to get him house-trained at night as he had free run of the downstairs so would find somewhere to poo during the night. So we tried him sleeping in his bed in our room and that did the trick - instant house-training. So since then he has slept in our room and it suits us fine. He'll cuddle on the bed sometimes in the evening, but as soon as we turn the light out he will jump off and into his own bed. So I think that the dog will get used to whatever you prefer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello Myers gang. Like you I am trying to decide how to play this one. I would like puppy upstairs in our room but my husband is not keen and wants me to put Holly downstairs in a crate at night!!

I'm sure once you have your dog it will works itself out, that's what I'm hoping anyway

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I would like puppy upstairs in our room but my husband is not keen and wants me to put Holly downstairs in a crate at night!!
My hubby wasn't keen on dogs in bedrooms until he fell in love! Now he is worse than me for spoiling Dylan. Just wait - these pups are irresistable and know how to charm the men :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello Myers Family :)

I agree, totally personal preference on where you let them sleep at night. Whatever is right for your family.

Hope you find your puppy soon!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Whatever works for you.

I decided Flo would sleep in the utility room as we have kids (5, 13 and 16). Youngest gets up and wanders around at night and oldest sometimes comes home late so having Flo upstairs would be chaotic as she would probably keep getting up to investigate the comings and goings! Also little one leaves lots of toys lying about and boys leave lots of clothes lying about upstairs.

If I lived alone I would def take her up with me for a cuddle :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys. I'll keep you all posted as to how I get on once I've got a pup and got her home.

Just want one now!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts