I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and your lovely Cockapoos!

I'm Sarah, 31, been married to James for nearly 9 years. We love in Hadleigh Suffolk with our 3 kids, 2 Rabbits, 3 G.Pigs and 350 litre fish tank.

We have been looking into getting a puppy for a while now. My hubby grew up with dogs and has always wanted one since we moved in together. I had a gorgeous golden lab retriever when I was younger, but found out my Mum and I were allergic to him, so had to rehome him (luckily our neighbours took him in, so I still saw him). I've never had a dog since :(

Anyway, I have been researching and researching for almost a year now, into different dog breeds and crosses, and how to manage my allergies, and hoping that a Cockapoo is the dog I have been looking for! I looked into other breeds that shed less than normal, but I don't like the look of them full grown.. I also am not keen on the look of Poodles, but have looked at many pictures of Cockapoos, and I am in love! Hubby likes the look of them too, he's not into the tiny dogs like Bichon Frise etc so we may be onto a winner here!

Oops, I seem to have started rambling! Anyway, I am looking for a cream/apricot/brown + white male Cockapoo puppy, preferably from an English non working Cocker Spaniel.. As I said, I live in Suffolk and would welcome any information on recommended breeders near by (Essex, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk all fine).

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Sarah xx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, you will be looking for a miniture poodle cross as they are larger than the toy.

you may have to be less selective on coulor and consentrate more on picking the pup that is curlier than the others, you may want to look at second gen to insure you do not have a reaction, i would recomend finding a grown cockapoo you can spend some indore time with so you can asses for yourself if you think you will react.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am looking for a cream/apricot/brown + white male Cockapoo puppy, preferably from an English non working Cocker Spaniel..
Hi Sarah,

I know there is some difference of opinion on here, but my puppy, Rosie is from a working cocker mum and she doesn't seem particularly boisterous. Only time will tell, I guess, but I'm guessing that she is going to be pretty calm. I've met one of her half brothers (same dad and also a working mum) and he was really laid back!

Kendal's advice is good (as ever) - don't go for a first generation, where you might not get the poodle coat, go and meet some other cockapoos and see if you're allergic, and choose the curliest one you can find. It might be an idea once you've found a breeder to see if you can meet any potential brothers/sister to see if you're allergic to them too.

Let us know how you get on! Cockapoos are lovely, so I hope you find one you can live with!

Louise

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies, I will look into it! :)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi there I had to laugh you sound so much like the rest of us researching for ages to get the right breed then deciding on a cockapoo and Ive heard that many times that the fella s dont want a small dog then once they've seem a cockapoo they're smitten. I would highly recommend the Southern meet when a date is fixed hopefully it should be cockapoo crazy and you'd get to meet different dogs from different parentage and see different coats... try before you buy lol . But yeh look for the curliest pup at about 4 weeks if you check out Strangelands 86 (Bethanys) pictures of Nell from a tiny pup you'll se how her coat developed from straight to curly over the weeks, a great reference . I ve got asthma and Wilf does nt moult and is really curly, started off wavey and has gotten curlier with age , Mable has still got her puppy coat which is moulting wehter this continues to do so as she gets older Im not sure, but luckily it has nt caused a problem although I chose her for her colour at the time and not how curly she was ... now whose rambling .. good luck x

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Cant believe it just done a "massive" rambling pot and now its not there will wait a while and see if it surfaces x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Cant believe it just done a "massive" rambling pot and now its not there will wait a while and see if it surfaces x
Stared at this post for quite a while trying to work out what a 'massive rambling pot' was - like trying to solve a weird cryptic crossword clue but on further investigation of the thread I've caught up. It was the missing 's' that threw me.

It can be quite difficult to find a breeder where you get the opportunity to select a puppy from a litter once you can see their coat developing as the curls don't really show until 4-6 weeks and lots of breeders let buyers put down a deposit on a specific puppy when they are just a few days old by looking at emailed pics. Some breeders setup a waiting list then those on the list view the puppies from 4 weeks at which point you can select a curlier puppy so you'll need to check with breeders you are talking to and ask how the waiting list and selection process works. Another option is to look for an F1b backcross or a cockapoo bred back to a poodle which is more likely to produce low to no shedding/dander curly pups.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hello and welcome! Sounds like you're on the right track. I agree with what people are saying about picking a curly pup. Rufus isn't very curly at all and does seem to shed a bit (not nearly as much as dogs I've had in the past, but if I pick him up and cuddle him I can see bits of his fur on my clothes). Best of luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts