I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm seriously thinking in adopting a Cockapoo puppy by the end of the summer.
2 questions:
Can you tell me if they are good dogs for young children. I have a 3 and 5 year old. And do they bit??!!
Thank you!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Cockapoo's tend to be very good with most people, including children, as with all puppies they will probably go through a bitey / chewy phase !
You cannot guarantee that any dog will never bite.
If you go to a breeder to see puppies, make sure you ask lots of questions and see the parent dogs - don't let your heart rule your head !
Jukee Doodles on here have lots of good advice, they also have a website :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi, I got Rosie 4 months ago and my kids are 2 and 3. I won't lie - it is really difficult with the three of them at times, but generally, it is the kids that are at fault and not Rosie!

To begin with, I found it quite frustrating that Rosie was jumping up them all the time, as she was big enough to knock my littlest one over. And when she jumped up, she would mouth them and nip at their clothes. She has put holes in a fair few tops! But that was just puppy behaviour - she looked like she was just running with her littermates!

She hasn't been like that for a couple of months, maybe more. She has bitten them, but it has always been playful nips, rather than actual bites and it has always been when I have already warned them that they are playing too rough with her and winding her up. She puts up with unbelievable amounts of pulling hair/tails/ears wihtout reacting at all.

I can't tell you that it's easy, because the dog interferes with the family discipline (I cannot get them to focus on anything when she is about because they just want to play with her or laugh at her or talk to her) and the children interfere with dog training and discipline. But, I haven't ever regretted getting her, the kids absolutely love her and I think it is really, really good for them to be around her. When I see my little girl cuddling Rosie and rolling around laughing with her, I know it was a really good decision!

So, I guess my feeling is that if you are sure that having a dog is the right thing for your family, a cockapoo is a good dog to get. But, check out the parents' temperaments, make sure you train them properly etc etc. Whatever dog you get, it will only be as good as its genes and environment allow it to be.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
What a great post Louise! Very well said!
Pups are alot of work and they all do go through a biting Phase. I would say that you can not guarantee any one dog breed will be good with children, and it is alot to do with how they are brought up, and who they are brought up around. we are all cockapoo lovers on here, and lots and lots have kids. Do what is right for you

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Hi Slemieux,

Feel free to take a peek at - www.jukeedoodles.com
If you type "Jukee Doodles" into the search bit - you will see all the posts and threads we have been involved with - as there are loads of "Cockapoo" options to consider - mainly Working or Show Cockers - then F1 as opposed to F1b; F2 and so on.
If you are in the area (and in the UK come to that) - then there is a big 'Poo Fest '11 happening at Rickmansworth on Sunday - there will be loads there and you should be able to get hands-on with several types to help you narrow your search.

Stephen x

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Hi, I got Rosie 4 months ago and my kids are 2 and 3. I won't lie - it is really difficult with the three of them at times, but generally, it is the kids that are at fault and not Rosie!

To begin with, I found it quite frustrating that Rosie was jumping up them all the time, as she was big enough to knock my littlest one over. And when she jumped up, she would mouth them and nip at their clothes. She has put holes in a fair few tops! But that was just puppy behaviour - she looked like she was just running with her littermates!

She hasn't been like that for a couple of months, maybe more. She has bitten them, but it has always been playful nips, rather than actual bites and it has always been when I have already warned them that they are playing too rough with her and winding her up. She puts up with unbelievable amounts of pulling hair/tails/ears wihtout reacting at all.

I can't tell you that it's easy, because the dog interferes with the family discipline (I cannot get them to focus on anything when she is about because they just want to play with her or laugh at her or talk to her) and the children interfere with dog training and discipline. But, I haven't ever regretted getting her, the kids absolutely love her and I think it is really, really good for them to be around her. When I see my little girl cuddling Rosie and rolling around laughing with her, I know it was a really good decision!

So, I guess my feeling is that if you are sure that having a dog is the right thing for your family, a cockapoo is a good dog to get. But, check out the parents' temperaments, make sure you train them properly etc etc. Whatever dog you get, it will only be as good as its genes and environment allow it to be.
Couldn't agree with this more! Very well said and the same in my house. My kids are 3 and 6 yrs. We do however all LOVE having Obi and we're going to get another pup later in the year. I think it's brilliant for kids to learn to care for and respect an animal as part of the family. My son has Aspergers Syndrome and it's helping him enormously! Be prepared for a lot of hard work but lots and lots of pleasure!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Yes - there are several established breeders on this site.

I have copied our post below from another thread but I think it is relevant for you in your search for a healthy happy puppy:-

The choices you must make are whether to buy a rescue dog, a cheap 'back street' bred puppy, a pup from a hobby breeder (some are very experienced and some are not so) or from a licenced professional breeder with testimonials and a reputation to protect.

We ourselves always recommend that buyers do more than just surf the internet. We say go and view at least 2 if not 3 breeders. Never take your cheque book and be prepared to walk away to give yourself time to think rationally. Any reputable breeder will not do 'hard sell'. We understand that finding the right puppy is paramount to you being a happy owner at the end of the day, happy owners make happy dogs.

Prices do vary but remember there are a lot of costs involved in raising a puppy to the highest, healthiest standard.
Quality breeding mums carry a premium themselves.
Breeding dogs should have relevant health checks by vets.
Breeding dogs need worming, flea treatment and vaccinating.
Breeding dogs need good kenneling and vet care.
Breeding dogs need premium food, which costs.
Pups must have the best heated housing.
Pups must be wormed every two weeks from two weeks old.
Pups must be kept clear of fleas, ticks, mites and ear mites.
Pups need best quality weaning food.
Pups must be socialized before they are 8 weeks old.
Ideally pups should be microchipped and have their first vaccination before leaving the breeder at 8 weeks old.
** Also - Breeder's "Puppy Packs" can vary too - ranging from "just the paperwork" through to comprehensive Packs including microchipping amoungst other things.

The most important factor you need to concentrate on is which 'type' of cockapoo suits you and your lifestyle best so you must be sure what the adult cockapoo will be like. The purchase price should be secondary. In our experience you get 60% of the end result from mum. So you need to meet and like her too.

Happy hunting.

Stephen x

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can't agree more with Louise brilliant reply and honest. Cockapoos are great with children However as with children they need to be taught their place within your pack you then the children then the puppy, this is with all dogs. As for biting I think your refering towhat is otherwise known as mouthing, all puppies mouth, children use hands to explore for example hold a finger out babies will often grip it, you may have noticed dogs dont have hands!!!:rolleyes: and so they use their mouths to explore. It is easy to stop them it just need calm commands I use ah ah gentle" and Harley will start licking. so I would say yep a dog/puppy will be hard work but as long as you are consistant show them the boundries and stick to them along with clear simple commands your children and puppy will be the best of friends forever and an asset to family life! good luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
The most important factor you need to concentrate on is which 'type' of cockapoo suits you and your lifestyle best so you must be sure what the adult cockapoo will be like. The purchase price should be secondary. In our experience you get 60% of the end result from mum. So you need to meet and like her too.

Happy hunting.

Stephen x
hey stephen, think Harley got more like 98% from his mum- she must have had a pair of quality jeans......oops genes :D;) what do you reckon.....infact he looks more cockapooish when wet! and his coat is getting thicker and clearly different when next to a pedigree cocker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW!! Thank you!

WOW, i'm so impressed. Thank you for all your great responses!! This is such great help in finding the right puppy for our family. I'm going to meet a second breeder on Friday. I will take my time and make sure to adopt the right puppy for us. Have a great day!xx

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have 4 children the youngest being 20 months. Coco is 6 months old and is very good with him, Harry even gets in Coco's crate with him, takes his food off him everything. If I am busy I will shut Coco in his crate so I know both are safe. I would go for a cockapoo 100%. Like others have said it is hard work, it seems like your always telling one of them no!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
hey stephen, think Harley got more like 98% from his mum- she must have had a pair of quality jeans......oops genes :D;) what do you reckon.....infact he looks more cockapooish when wet! and his coat is getting thicker and clearly different when next to a pedigree cocker.
I know that you love Harley to bits whatever his coat ends up like. Some of the more cocker looking babies take a bit of time to reach their full potential. The little girl below is Dexie who was short coated but now has turned into a swan. She will be at 'Poo Fest '11 on Sunday I'm told.

Julia xx

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh, I love love love all the different looking cockapoos! It always amazes me when someone comes up to us and asks us if Rosie is a cockapoo! I don't know how people can tell when all of ours look so different!

And look at Dexie's green paws - now which of your doggies gave her that colouring, Julia? :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello, I'm new too

I have been reading some of the post on here for a little while now as we are also in the process of researching to get our first Cockapoo. I love the wealth of information everyone shares, its fantastic.

Its interested to hear that your son Clare has Aspergers and he gets on well with your pup as our son also has Aspergers. We are looking to get a Cockapoo as our family pet but also as a companion for our son. We are hoping that he will find it easier to bond with a dog than he does with a human. In a few week we are attending a course run by Dogs for the Disabled for parents of Autistic children.

Cockapoo's sound like a fantastic breed and the more I read about them the more I'm excited about finding one of our own. Thank you everyone for the information I have already read from your posts and I look forward to being able to join in with more post :)

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you choose a Cockapoo for your family. We've had two of many testimonials recently telling us of what perfect temperaments their Cockapoo's have with disabled people. Indeed we have a puppy leaving us this weekend who has been bought by a disabled couple with the intention of training him up to be a Helping Dog for the husband. He will be followed in a few months time with a second Cockapoo for the wife again to be a Helping Dog.

Julia x

Obi
"Hi Julia, well it's been almost 6 months since we got Obi and he looking great. We get stopped everywhere asking about him and what a wonderful colouring he is.
He is a truly loving and energetic dog and has been great with our Autistic son Chase. I've attached a photo for you. Hope you are all well." Regards, Daniel

Tallulah
"I thought you would like an update on Tallulah.
We can't believe that she is nearly 10 months old! She is loved by everyone at home and on the common.
She is going to be a PAT dog once she has had the test, the vet says she will be a perfect candidate as she is such a good natured dog.
Hope all the dogs are doing well and Yum Yum is still being a good boy, if possible could we have a recent picture of him please.
Have a good summer,"
Kind regards, Ruth

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Its interested to hear that your son Clare has Aspergers and he gets on well with your pup as our son also has Aspergers. We are looking to get a Cockapoo as our family pet but also as a companion for our son. We are hoping that he will find it easier to bond with a dog than he does with a human. In a few week we are attending a course run by Dogs for the Disabled for parents of Autistic children.
Hello and welcome! I have seen my son showing genuine empathy and concern for Obi's welfare which as you know doesn't come naturally from children on the spectrum. He is very protective of Obi and likes to tell his younger sister how to treat him all the time!! I've read a lot of research about dogs helping autistic children so I think you should go for it! I've had other breeds of dogs during my lifetime and along side the Bichon Frise I think Cockapoos have a wonderful temperament and adore people. Good luck in your search, keep us posted!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts