I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello - newbie here! Multiple dog owners please!

Hi all

Bit of background to me, I have an Australian Labradoodle called Bailey who is 4, coming up to 5 in November; and have always thought of getting him a sister, ongoing thing for last few years.

However, I think I am close to being ready to make the jump.

I have contacted a few breeders for the times when it would suit best, and just have some questions for two dog households.

I live alone, so this will be a lot of fun, madness think tears of joy, tantrums of new pup and Bailey looking at me to say your mad moments!

Firstly, I have little fear (though you never know) of Bailey with a new family addition, he has always been great with other dogs and when he did use to go to creche was the dog that could get every puppy out to play even if they were nervous. However, having one at home could be interesting, though he was playing with a 12 week old terrier this past weekend and was great with her (was kind of clarity moment - yes this could work).

So questions,
1. As Bailey is now not crated (he was until 7/8 months but is now free around home after working up to this) how does this work with a new pup? He sleeps in my room, though I sometimes hear him move around the flat at night. Has anyone had same situation will he stay with me or head to lounge (where crate would be) and be with pup or perhaps tell pup to be quiet if crying or would it be best to keep him in my room and close door?

2. Bailey will still need his walks, I have great friends and neighbours who have already offered to help with these, but can't expect that all of the time, when he was a pup I took him with me to shops (carrying in coat until jabs were complete) but with taking Bailey to park I wouldn't want to risk taking the new pup for health reasons. Would she be ok for up to 30 mins in her crate for first few weeks?

3. If I do have to go out alone, how have people found a pup in crate and older dog out of crate for short periods of time? Wouldn't do this right away, but will be something that will happen.

I spent considerable time training Bailey up to past his first birthday, the teenage months were fun - he was/is definitely too smart for his own good and will do the same. But people always say an older dog helps, care to share any experiences?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help. Guess I am a bit of a veteran with getting/planning a pup as waited nearly 3 years for Bailey and still have every book, dvd I could buy during that time. So I will help out if anyone has any pup questions, Bailey was very easy to toilet train and was using a pad within a day and only had a few accidents afterwards - hoping to be lucky again (probably tempting fate lol). Even had the joy of the fact I live in a flat (though have balcony, parks and communal garden at hand - but he now won't use communal garden or balcony - stopped at 4 months lol - think he likes the park too much). So any questions please ask!

Thanks

Garry

Ps starting to get responses to emails to breeders, some of you may of heard from me!

· Registered
8,636 Posts
Sorry didnt see your post there seem to be so many at the moment and you tend to just see the ones at the top of the list and others just scroll down.
Wilf was 3 when we got Mable and from the off they played nicely together, infact Mable would tire Wilf out not the other way around. He would tell her off only if he was trying to rest, he would get up on the sofa out of her way, she'd try to reach her and he would grrr.
Wilf sleeps in the lounge and we just put Mables crate in there as well, she was fine it was him who cried the first night !!!! " you've forgotten something! you've left her with me !!" after that he was fine. I would leave Mable in the crate while I took Wilf for a walk then would do short lead walks carrying her to get her used to traffic etc.
Its great having 2 out walking and double the greetings, I'm sure Bailey will soon adapt to a new sister and you'll have two best mates x

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I needed to hear that so much.

Well lets see what happens, a breeder will have pups late June and that timescale would work, have sent some questions back to them and hope to speak with them later this week. Then take it from there. Still to hear from a few other breeders, but for some reason, I have a feeling and the pups on their site our gorgeous.

I am sure my family and friends will think I am slightly mad but nothing unusual there. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.