I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My name is Gillian and I am new to this site. i am getting my first cockapoo puppy in about 6 weeks time, so any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, what kind of cockapoo are you getting, what colour, boy or girl do you have a name yet.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Hi and welcome....my advice to any new puppy owner...sleep now!! you won't get too much rest while they are little

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
:iagree: tiring.....but soooo worth it :D I tried to nap with Izzy this afternoon, but my very loud 22 year old son came bounding into the room, "oh, were you asleep?"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello

I am getting a golden girl Cockapoo think we are going to call her Nahla or Nala (not sure how to spell it yet) She will be almost 3 weeks old now so just over 5 weeks till we bring her home.

x

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just ask any questions and someone will be able to help - lots of experienced dog owners on here :)

You must be very excited?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am very excited as I have never had a dog before. Also we have 2 children and have decided not to tell them, we are just gonna take them to pick her up without them knowing where we are going. Can't wait to see their little faces, my little girl is desperate for a dog :)

I have lots of questions so don't really know where to start, but have found a lot of useful info on here.

I'm gonna have to use a crate for when i go out to work, I only work part time and my husband does shifts so it will prob only be left alone one day per week (not for a while tho) Does anyone else go out to work?

Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
I work in a school so get all the holidays off and my hubby works from home (mnost of the time!) so Eddie has only had to be left occasionally but when we have left him he has been great.

We never used a crate as we got Eddie when he was 8 months old - so we just risked it and left him, but we did do some preparation by building up the time that he was left gradually - meant lots of time in and out of the house stood in the driveway :D

You must get them to like being in the crate first though - don't just put pup in and shut the door and go! Build up the time in the crate with the door open with nice treats so they see it as a nice place to be, then gradually start shutting the door and leaving the room. From what I have read it can take a while to do this, but it will be worth it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts