I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

It was great to find this site, we have an 8 month old Cockapoo called Lottie, she is a bundle of fun, she loves our 12 year old Lab x and has fitted really well into the family.

Lottie is the first Cockapoo we have ever owned, so it will be really interesting to hear the experiences of other owners.

At the moment I am tussling with the decision to have her spayed or not, and if so at what age. Has anyone had problems with having it done early, the vets seem divided on this?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, would love to see photos of lottie.

all my girls were spayed at 5 1/2 months. their are different opinions on spaying some say before season others say after. the before is ment to preven mamery cancer in later life my mums cockers both suffered from this, the were spayed after their first season which was recomended at the time(about 23 years ago)

so when the vet sugested we do them before their season we decided we would go with them and only time will tell.

·
Registered
818 Posts
It is much healthier to spay early, Kendal is right. I would of get 'Lo spayed at five months like Kendal, but the family wanted me to breed her. I put it off, but I got her spayed before her first heat, around nine months. Even vet's that lean toward altering later would be fine with eight months I think.

I think you should spay Lottie. Having a litter is expensive and stressful. It is a health risk for the dog, and can even effect temperament to a point. Everyone said breed Shy'lo, but I didn't want to take the chance anything could change. And even if all did go well, I would of been horrified if later in live my actions cause her health problems.

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Hey Jill! Welcome to the site. :) We have a lot of experience with cockapoos here. Don't be afraid to ask questions! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts