I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I haven't actually yet got my first ever cockapoo, but I am visiting / viewing a newborn puppy on Saturday. I wanted to know what people with poo's think of them and to learn a bit more about them before I commit :)

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hi JuJu, you have chosen a wonderful breed to have as an addition to your family. Just how newborn is your puppy though??? Most good breeders won't allow visitors to puppies until around 6 weeks as the risk of infection to a new litter and upsetting a new mum with her new babies. Have you researched your breeder at all?:)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, what kind of cockapoo are you going to see. do you have an idea what you are looking for?

i love my girls but they can be hard work, the puppy stage can be hard going for some, and the grooming is constentonce they hit 8 months as thats when the coat becomes troublesom, it does eas up but depending on the coat tipe its a lot of grooming.

but they are a lovely breed and i must love them as i now have 4 either that or im just mental.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I think it's safe to say that cockapoos are a BIG favourite on this site :D everyone will support you're decision to add a new addition to your family :) they're brilliant dogs, very intelligent & loving, i'm sure you'll enjoy bringing home a cockapoo :D

What sort of breed are you looking at? (show/working, english/american, miniature/toy) & what colour? Is the breeder well known or more of a one off?

Good luck :D

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Good luck!

I'm learning so much from this forum about the cockapoo, it's a great place especially if you've never had one before.

It's only a few days in but I can say that my Vincent is a ball of energy already, I'm glad we have a big garden (at least big for a city house) so he can run about it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hi Juju, what sort of cockapoo puppy are you viewing? I have a small 2 yr old American cocker x mini poodle who has a very poodley coat, very affectionate, bit timid, follows me everywhere. Also have a 3 month old working cocker x mini poodle, loose wavy coat, more lively, intelligent, affectionate, will be bigger than the first one.

Both are lovely, but its worth thinking about what suits you. Both are allergy friendly with my asthmatic son. :) Good luck with you search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done lots of research before even deciding what breed of dog I would like. I had two chocolate labs, unfortunately I lost my lovely Ella to cancer.
The puppy I went to see was one week old.... The breeder is very well established and registered (how do I find out more information than that?). He had several dogs, and there were 3 other litters of Cockapoo and one cavapoo litter (older than my litter). I have paid my deposit.... So I am definately going ahead with the new addition to my family. My Cockapoo is an Minature apricot boy. He is one of three apricot boys in the litter, and I won't know which one will be mine until I go pick him up.... As the breeder says, they change so much in the first few weeks!
I can only research so much into anything, which is why I wanted to join this forum, to find out what Cockapoo owners thought of the breed, especially compared to other breeds of dogs. The breeder has also bred choc labs in the past and tells me that cockapoos are alot calmer ...
It has been a while since I had a puppy..... So I only hope I can remember what I'm doing..... But I have 7 weeks to learn!!!!

Xx

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Vincent is an English (working) cocker spaniel x toy (working) poodle. He is VERY lively and love cuddles!
Do you know what your new puppies mum and dad are like?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
How exciting that you've put down a deposit! Is he bred with a show/working cocker?
What breeder are you getting him from? & Any names in mind? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
His mum is an English working cocker, dad a miniature working poodle. Both parents were very very friendly (and cute).
The breeders name is David Cooper, he own Martinshaw Kennels ... www.martinshawkennels.com ( I am hoping anyone who has heard of him only has good things to say) He was very nice and really helpful with questions and forthcoming with information for me.

I have two names in mind...Doodles (we are referring to him as Doodles already) or George (after Mr Clooney - it's the closest I'm ever going to get to cuddles from George Clooney ;) ) I am thinking the name Doodles will win as this has been the favourite name with everyone so far!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts