I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm brand new to the forum although we have been reading some of the threads for a few weeks. After many years we have finally put a deposit down on a gorgeous female cockapoo. The whole family are so excited we have been lent a crate but were not sure whether we should use it. :eek:

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Is it Hayley? Can never tell with usernames ;) What sort of cockpaoo mix did you fall in love with? Looking forward to hearing more about your new puppy.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's a very personal choice. I was unsure like you but as soon as I had done some research I could see all the benefits.

We started with a 30" crate as advised by our breeder (which is smaller than alot of people here have). It did take Lolly 6 nights to finally sleep through without crying and a while longer to be left in it during the day without crying.

The benefits are that puppies tend to be housetrained quickly if crate trained as they will learn to hold their wee as they don't want to mess in their bed, they have a special place to go where they feel secure, and you have peace of mind that they are not in danger or chewing anything they shouldn't while you can't watch them.

Lolly never learnt to love here crate, always going in reluctantly or so it seemed but for the few days after she had been spayed when she also had an ear infection and was feeling very sorry for herself she would take herself off to her crate by herself to sleep something she had rarely done before so she must have seen it as a safe, secure place.

Lolly toilet trained extrememly quickly and I think we only ever had one wee in her crate, and only a few more in the house. We upgraded her to a 36" crate at around 18 weeks. Then at 7 months we made the decision to get rid of the crate as I felt happier leaving her at home alone for slightly longer if she could move around the house. By that time I felt secure that she wouldn't wee indoors or chew anything she shouldn't

Good luck with your decision making and can't wait to hear all about your new bundle of fluff!!!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome. the crate thing is a personal choice, however the way i see it is when you bring a new baby into the house you dont just pop it in the midle of the room and leave it. or let a todler wonder about the house with no baby gate etc.

a crate is like a cot for a baby, its a safe place so they cant chew anything or get hurt. my mums 16 week old cocker puppy chewd thrugh a partiten wall down the the mettle suports, she was out for about 2 hours at the shops (over 20 years ago) since then she has never had a puppy without a crate.

do you have any photos of your pup, do you have a name in minde, what kind of cockapoo is she.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice

This is our first ever puppy so thank you all for your very helpful advice. Our little girl is cream. She is from an English cocker x poodle. Myself and my two teenage daughters have a whole list of names on the fridge. We pick her up next Saturday. Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hello & welcome!
Would love to see pictures if you have any & is she working or show cocker?
In regards to the crate, I agree with Janet (flounder_1)
We crated Izzie as a puppy at night & when we went out for her own safety & so that she wouldn't ruin anything, but we didn't keep her in it for too long tbh, we were happy with her staying in the kitchen with just her bed after a while so she has space to walk around, then after than she got the run of the house while we were out (doors upstairs were shut) so she loves to stay in the lounge now watching out of the window :)
It's a personal choice, and just because you use it at first doesn't mean you will always have to, so good luck with you decision :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
My dogs love their crates. They sleep in them a lot in the day as well with the doors open. I shut them in if we go out and at bedtime and they don't mind.
My kids know this is the dogs space so they are not allowed to disturb them in there. It gives the dogs a break too.

Good luck with your new arrival.:D

·
Registered
273 Posts
:welcome:
I am a first time dog owner and the crate has been a god send! initially i was unsure but with a puppy running round and getting into mischief it is very handy!

* it gives puppy a little security at night(even tho they dont like it at first)
* when i am cooking I can pop her in (not the oven lol) the crate when opening the oven door.
* when I need to do something in the house and can not keep an eye on her I know she is safe in her crate.
* when I need to go out for short periods of time.

puppies will find anything and everything to chew (including wires) so as well as a safe haven it is her little den too.

Good luck.xxx

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi Hayley, welcome to this forum.

We've had Gaia two weeks now and she has slept in a crate at night. She has not messed once in it, although in the first 10 days I had to get up in the night for her to go outside. For the last few nights she has slept right through to 6 am. Also we have only had a few wee's in the house and she does request to go out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with all above ...... wasn't sure about it at first but Dexter loves his crate now - gives them somewhere to go if they're tired or feel insecure - leave him in the utility in the day if we go out with the crate open which gives him space to move around but can go to his crate if he wants to - good luck with ur new arrival ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome:) I only joined this forum a couple of wks ago and we get our puppy on Sat 2! :D 6 sleeps!!! I bet ur all so excited just like us as my mum and I are getting brothers Griff and Mackie! I have decided to go with the crate as people have said it is easier to toliet train them. I think once Mackie is trained we will lose the crate, however we will just take things as they come and see what works best for him as every puppy and dog is different.x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.