I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Gracie is settling in well. The first night was difficult, not much sleep had by us. The kids however slept through lol. My partner slept downstairs with her last night as it was her first night and he had booked the day off today. He is back at work tomorrow so we are going to try to leave her tonight downstairs by herself. I am very nervous and know it will be a rough night but she has to get used to it. Anyone got any handy tips to help get us through then night?????

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
leave chews for her and maybe a kong, some people crate their puppys all night from day one and they are fine other let them out for a pee around 2 in the morning. just leave her to cry, she will learn, leave a radio or something on, just low volume so their is still a noize downstairs for her.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
awwwww, lovely, she is very curly, lol did Joshua get much work done at school or was he too busy telling everyone about his new puppy lol

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
leave chews for her and maybe a kong, some people crate their puppys all night from day one and they are fine other let them out for a pee around 2 in the morning. just leave her to cry, she will learn, leave a radio or something on, just low volume so their is still a noize downstairs for her.
Yep, agree with Kendal after a couple of nights she'll be fine. We just put Flo in the utility room. Put a blanket and maybe an old cuddly toy in her crate that she can snuggle up to. Wrap a warm hot water bottle in a blanket so she feels warm and cosy. We always left Flo's crate open, left a bowl of water their and put a puppy pad in a large seed tray by the back door which she learnt to wee in after a few weeks. You can spray the puppy pad with something that encourages to go to it for a wee - can't remember what it's called but got in in Pets at Home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks all for your handy tips. We have a crate for her but we don't have a small room for her so we have placed her crate in the dining room where its nice and warm. We will put a radio and hot water bottle there for her and come down to let her pee on her pad at some point during the night. She hasn't eaten all that much since we bought her home. She is showing interest but just doesn't eat that much. I'm hoping in a couple of days that she will have adjusted.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
She's lovely ... the picture with the teddy is great it will show you much she grows. Mable cried for a few minutes on the first night but after that did nt . When we put her back in after a wee in the night if we left straight away she would cry but if we waited a couple of minutes until she'd settled down then she was fine.... Good luck ..its like with babies you'll do what seems right for you, its trial and error x

·
Registered
389 Posts
So So cute!

I barely remember those early days, thanks to sleep deprivation! Chloe has always slept in her kennel in our living room. She has her stuffed bunny in there with her, which she has had since her first night here. Chloe needed to get up at night to pee for over a month but my friend's cockapoo slept through the second night. I actually slept downstairs on the couch to listen for her, silly me. My friend has her cockapoo's kennel in her bedroom at night but both my husband and I are slightly allergic to our dog, so that is not an option for us.

No matter what you do, it goes by so fast... Enjoy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Well........ last night went as expected. Gracie cried a lot. She was put to bed by my partner in her crate with a soft teddy and some chews. She cried but i think she did get some sleep. I came down to let her out for a wee at 3am but she didn't do one as she had already peed on her bedding in her crate :( I stayed with her for 45 mins as she was very awake and playful. I won't be doing that again though as i don't want her to think that its play time in the early hours of every morning. I put her in her crate again this morning while i went for a shower and she cried the whole time and once again peed in her crate. I want to stop her from going to the toilet in her crate but don't know how???????? I out her on the newspaper before putting her in there but she doesn't do anything. HELP???????:confused:

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Well........ last night went as expected. Gracie cried a lot. She was put to bed by my partner in her crate with a soft teddy and some chews. She cried but i think she did get some sleep. I came down to let her out for a wee at 3am but she didn't do one as she had already peed on her bedding in her crate :( I stayed with her for 45 mins as she was very awake and playful. I won't be doing that again though as i don't want her to think that its play time in the early hours of every morning. I put her in her crate again this morning while i went for a shower and she cried the whole time and once again peed in her crate. I want to stop her from going to the toilet in her crate but don't know how???????? I out her on the newspaper before putting her in there but she doesn't do anything. HELP???????:confused:
You don't have to do anything to stop her from peeing in her crate...she will stop it on her own....likely she is just new and nervous....lady did it a few times but stoped....just keep fresh towels around so when you do take her out at 3am you have a clean towel to give her and you won't have to be awake for too long....she will cry for a while but when she realizes crying doesn't get her anything...and that it is a safe and nice place she will calm down....dogs don't like to mess where they sleep....she will absolutely stop that soon not to worry.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Dont worry you're not doing anything wrong ... she's a little baby x She would have just wee'd in the pen she was in. I put soft bedding in then tucked one of those wee pads over it then put fleecy blankets on top, then would remove the top layer in the night if they were wet and have extra ready to replace all done without talking, without putting the light on then back to bed .. what a job. Maybe not suitable if your using those pads to encourage where to go to the toilet , but I only used them to stop all the bedding getting wet. Mable would cry when she wanted a wee but to start with we didnt make it in time ... if Gracie's quite I'd have a tendancy to leave her. Praise her and treat her when she goes in the crate not when she comes out... so in the morning approach quietly and ignore her initially ( hard I know especially for Joshua) just so that going in is fun. Its hard initially but it gets easier .. honest x x x

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
P.s Mable is 20 weeks and if she's been left in her crate during the day she has usually wee'd in it . So i take her bedding out and put in old towels then throw them in the wash. She might only have been left for 30 mins not sure if she does it when she knows we' ve come home, but better in acrate where its managable then in the house x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Delta is the only one of mine who peed in the crate, i have no idea why as i know for a fact she can hold it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
It's just so confusing the crate training. We have now bought a play pen that extends from the crate so we can leave the crate door open. She still just whines the whole time she's there. Hopefully she'll get used to it. She has done a wee and a poo in the garden today :)

Wilfiboy - Does Mable wee and poo in the house?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
It's just so confusing the crate training. We have now bought a play pen that extends from the crate so we can leave the crate door open. She still just whines the whole time she's there. Hopefully she'll get used to it. She has done a wee and a poo in the garden today :)

Wilfiboy - Does Mable wee and poo in the house?
You've done what I was about to suggest as it's a pity if she wees in her crate/bed when her instinct is not to. We did the same with Flo and left the crate door open then put a puppy pen around at night. You can then put some newspaper or a puppy pad down and some water then hopefully she'll get out of her crate in the night to wee if she needs to. If the crate is quite big then put a plastic box in the back of it so her crate/bed is only a small space to sleep in then she is more likely to get out to do a wee.

They do wee and poo in the house till they figure out what you want them to do. During the day when she's getting tired take her out for a wee, say a word as she is doing it (we always said "hurry up"), treat, put her in the crate and shut door for hour or so while she has a nap then when you get her out take her back out for a wee.

I used to shut Flo in her crate in the day when I could take her out after her nap for a wee but would leave her crate open at night.

Because we always said a cue word when she was weeing she learnt that "hurry up" meant have a wee. Now if I want her to do a wee (before we go out, before a long journey etc. if I say "hurry up" she will do a wee on command.

·
Registered
710 Posts
We say "hurry up" for Rufus too when we go outside and he's pretty good about stopping and peeing right then. He never peed in his crate but he definitely cried the first few nights for a little while. We just made sure that if he drank or ate we brought him outside soon after. Also a great one that worked for us was whenever he slept on his little bed during the day, we'd take him out the second he woke up and he always peed outside. It was a routine I think that really helped him to learn that peeing is done outside only! (Not that he doesn't still have accidents sometimes, as he's 3 months, but very rarely now)

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Mable does nt poo we still have the odd accident with weeing ... but as she can go longer with out needing to wee we sometimes dont realise she needs to go so she may have an accident by the door ... but she's quite good at wanting to go out just to go to the kitchen and food!!! Also I have to remember to move the towel off the floor that I dry their feet on cos this is much more comfy to wee on than the freezing cold wet floor x

61 - 80 of 85 Posts