I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a new Cockerpoo owner to 11 week old Rufus. I picked him up last Wednesday and he's settled in really well, although I'm due to leave him for a couple of hours tomorrow and the few practices I've had have not gone down well. Any tips gratefully accepted :)

Also, is it just me, or is anyone else a nervous wreck around them?! I'm constantly worried there is something wrong with him! I think it might be because he's so tiny, though I do think he's grown since Wednesday.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hello :)
We ve always given Pepper something to do as we ve left. Like a Kong filled with food.
I was really nervous at first, first dog, but as time has gone on and as ive got to know Peppers little ways and become confident at handling her she is calmer too!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Hi Dottee and Rufus. Congratulations on your puppy, try not to worry too much they are quite robust little things. I lost out of the amount of times Weller got trodden on and tripped over and kicked across the floor when he was little, due to him wanting to be very close to me and therefore under my feet!!:)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I agree with Pepster - try leaving a treat when you go. A treat ball or kong filled with treats and cream cheese which is then frozen works well. Maybe you could leave one of your old t-shirts that you've worn or a smelly sock for Rufus.
But he will be fine. They have to get used to being left and the best way to do it is to build up the time gradually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all.

He's always getting under people's feet! Haha! And he's blooming quick for one so small! He also has an obsessions with nibbling feet and bows and laces on slippers/shoes.

Are puppies OK with Cream Cheese then? I had read a few places to use cream cheese but wasn't sure if it was puppy suitable. I have been putting a few treats in his kong but he gives up on it fairly easily, so putting the cream cheese and the freezing thing may hold his interest more.

I'm taking him to the vets tomorrow as he's got a slight discharge from his left nostril and his left ear seems a little irritated - just to add to my worries about him! Hopefully it'll be nothing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good advice already! It's a case of trial and error with kings! You'll find the thing that interests him the most. Just wanted to say hello and welcome. Advice of here is very helpful, I've found it very friendly. Congratulations on your new puppy, we collect ours in two weeks so are very excited! So watch this space for me asking all the same questions too!

Sam x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shall try the cream cheese and peanut butter - though he's a fussy thing! Not food driven at all.

Here is a pic from my phone, I haven't uploaded my camera ones yet.

This was Wednesday, I still can't get over how tiny he is! though I'm sure he's grown since then already.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Welcome to you both he looks lovely,you'll be surprised how quickly he'll grow take some pics with a specific item, then you can re-take in time and this will really show you the change, otherwise you probably wont notice x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, I shall try that. I do think he has grown but like you say it's hard to tell.

Well, I tried the cream cheese in his Kong and he loves it! It has made putting him in his crate so much easier. I froze it last night and put it in before bed and he didn't even know I was there so it made leaving him so much easier. He cried for about 10 minutes and then just took himself of to bed.

I was a bit worried when I couldn't find any treats he liked as no way of bribing, haha! I think he was wise to me when I've been feeding him in his crate but now with the Kong he's straight in.

x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.