I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone have a cockapoo that is carsick? I have had Betty for three months now and every time I take her anywhere in the car longer than a ten minute journey she is sick. I have tried not feeding her before a longish journey, I leave the windows open, I have sat her in the front, the back, sat her up, laid her down - all to no avail. Today I went visiting family, and within 15 minutes she had been sick. Thought I might take her to the vet to see if they have any suggestions. Does anyone have any experience of this and perhaps can suggest a solution. She is only six months old, will she grow out of it? All suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Jane

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I think you may be right about it being stress related, we never go for walkies in the car as we live in open country and only have to go outside for lovely long walks. The only time we go in the car is to visit friends/family/the office etc..

I could put her in the car and start taking her for walks somewhere but in all honesty I know that I would never keep this up. Alternative therapies are a good idea, will look further into this.

It really is such a shame, I have to physically pick her up to put her in the car as she pulls away from it. I took her out in the car today for the first time in about two weeks, I tried to leave it as long as I could as I thought this might help.

I am wondering if some dogs are just prone to carsickness as are some humans.

The last thing I want is to upset her but there are times when she has to come with me in the car as opposed to being left for long periods of time at home. For the record there are no long lasting ill effects, no matter that she has been sick, the minute she is out of the car she is racing around as per usual!

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have just met a women in the village who has rescue dogs and she said get a bean bag - apparantly the beans absorb the motion of the car. She said it was a well known remedy!
Have ordered one off internet, hopefully it will work.

Once Betty is in the car, she just curls herself up and doesn't show any signs of stress whatsoever, I don't think she likes getting in the car cos she knows it makes her feel ill. After about 10/15 minutes she starts to paw at the seat and then promptly pukes! The signs are always the same so I am sometimes able to stop.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Jane

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone,

Have found a big memory foam pillow (very thick) and have put this in the car for her to sit on. My theory is that this will absorb the motion of the car. Have done two 15 minute journeys plus a five minute journey and so far so good.

Spoke with vet today who reckons she will grow out of it. Fingers crossed. My personal theory is that she is prone to car sickness as are some humans.

Have had a couple of nice walks at the end of the above journeys but she is still not keen on getting aboard!

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Maureen,

The honest answer is that I thought it had - have been out a couple of times and she hasn't been sick, however, this morning we were only out for about 10 minutes and she was sick!

Will persevere with it as the theory behind it makes sense.

Jane

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Morning,

I am sure your cockapoo is the same as mine, they want to be involved with everything you do! Saturday morning, I just wanted to take some rubbish to the dump, five minutes there, five minutes back. Betty was sniffing around the black sacks and as usual where I was, she was. On the spur of the moment, I picked her up and popped her in the car on her bean bag. Sure enough on the way back, only a couple of minutes into the journey, she was very sick. I really don't know what to do, currently, Betty has to either stay at home or when I visit friends/family for the day she just has to be carsick. As you say, the very second they are out of the car they are as happy as larry! I am really at a loss, it is quite difficult as I am out and about a lot and always assumed my dog would be coming with me.

Jane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.