I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right place to ask this... I have a Cockapoo and she has an undercoat that is matting!! It is the strangest fur I have ever had to tend to!! I love her look and I really don't want to have to shave her... but I don't want to hurt her when I brush her!! She is brushed just about everyday!! Yesterday I put a harness collar on her to go for a long walk and when I got back it had matted her fur where it touched her chest.. UGG!! I have thought about using thinning shears to thin out her undercoat... Has anyone used shears successfully?? Any other thought would be appreciated!!!! We both THANK YOU!!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, how old is she and what kind of brush are you using on her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is 14 months and I have slicker brush..a brush that is for undercoats (don't know the name) it is kinda like a rake LOL... a comb and a dematting rake that I use only to break up the mats.. but there has got to be a better way!! I was wondering also if there is a type of conditioner that keeps mats from forming!! I did get a great spray that has helped some!! Thanks for taking the time to read my post!! Any advice would be great!!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
lol no their is no magic conditioner that will stop mats from forming(i so wish there was) the best brush for mats is les poochs. and a pair or scissors to cut down in the direction of the mat, then just brush and combe till its gone, its all just part of owning a long haired breed like the cockapoo.

would love to see photos what is her name

has she ever been to a groomer?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sounds like you have all the right stuff and brush her everyday so the only other thing I can suggest is a detangling spray. Flo's fur is about 1.5 inches long and I use a coarse comb daily and a dematter for the odd stubborn knot. Harnesses can be a bit of a problem causing fur the matt where they rub which partly why I switched to a headcollar (gencon) for Flo. Sometimes bathing and shampooing too much doesn't help as it strips oils from the coat which will then matt more readily because it so coarse and dry. Over winter my hubby kept washing Flo's legs with shampoo everyday and I had to ask him to stop and just use water as she started getting really matted fur where her leg fur was stripped of natural oils.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much I am looking up the brush now!!! I sure wish there was a magic conditioner... That would be fabulous!!!

I am trying to post pictures now... I think my profile picture uploaded!!

and I did take her to a groomer a couple of times but once that made her look to much like a poodle and the another time they shaved her bald!! We called her the naked dog all summer... You could tell it depressed her...and me!! LOL I have since heard of another girl that is suppose to do a good job and I may try her... But I have to keep up on her coat because she will become one huge mat!!! Ugg!! But I love her and she is just gonna be a high maintenance girl just like all the others in this family!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do agree that washing her makes it worse!! and I did a spray that does seem to help!! I just had heard that a friend has a goldendoddle.. and she said that they use thinning shears... but I was scared to try that unless someone had used them on a cockapoo!! I don't want to make it worse!!!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I know what you mean about groomers. I gave up and got my own clippers. I didn't want to keep going through a cycle of radical 'poodle' cut then let it grow long then the groomer cutting her short cut again. I wanted her to look pretty much the same all the time but didn't want to pay a groomer every 3 weeks. I know trim her over myself every 3-4 weeks using a 1 inch comb attachment on Andis clippers and find that if a use a coarse comb daily for 3 minutes she never gets any matts. She gets a shampoo about once every 2 months and I find if washed less she seems to repel dirt naturally. She's not really that smelly but if a want to freshen her up I use a odour eliminator (I get Pet Head Poof which is lightly fragranced and smells of pears!!) If she rolls in fox poo (that really smells and is always around in our fields) then I dry her fur, rub in a little ketchup, leave to dry again then just shampoo the offending area.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i use thinning scissors on my girls. but not for mats i use them so i can trim them withour taking them to short.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks y'all for the help... I have sent am e-mail to the doodle web site to figure out which brush to buy.. I am on my way to the store to get some thinning shears and I am going to look at the clippers!! All in All it has been a great help!!!! I can't wait to report how it all works out!!! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Just bathed Wilf today and had to cut his legs shorter than Id like... not quite poodlie but shorter than normal as they were quite knotty... but dont use shampoo all the time on them but rinse his feet/legs regularly as his fur was long his feet would be really muddy after a walk but then rubbing them with a towel and leaving them to dry really hasnt helped.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It's so difficult in this weather. I've just got back from our morning walk and Dylan is really muddy, but it doesn't seem worth washing his legs because he'll be out again at 3 and the field is really muddy too! I'm tending to leave him in the morning and wash his legs after the afternoon walk. The he just about dries in time to have the dried mud on his belly brushed out before he's up on our bed in the evening. I hate muddy winters :(

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
It's so difficult in this weather. I've just got back from our morning walk and Dylan is really muddy, but it doesn't seem worth washing his legs because he'll be out again at 3 and the field is really muddy too! I'm tending to leave him in the morning and wash his legs after the afternoon walk. The he just about dries in time to have the dried mud on his belly brushed out before he's up on our bed in the evening. I hate muddy winters :(
We just give Flo one off lead walk over muddy fields each morning for about an hour which seems enough for her. I think I would lose the will to carry on if I had muddy dog twice a day.

I also lead walk her round the village and along busy roads at least once a week otherwise I think she would become almost impossible to lead walk and would also get nervous of cars if she didn't see them moving fast at close hand at least once a week.

Roll on summer. But then I suppose we go back to picking out seeds. Can't win with a long haired dog I think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I am ordering the brush that the guy recommend from doodlecountry... I know he has labor doodles but their hair seems to be similar.. I also am going to get the shampoo and conditioner he recommended!! If it helps I will let y'all know.. On the web site they give this brush raves so we will see!!!! I won't have it till the end of the week if I order on Monday.. I will report in for any that are interested!! Thanks for everyone's help!!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
lol no their is no magic conditioner that will stop mats from forming(i so wish there was) the best brush for mats is les poochs. and a pair or scissors to cut down in the direction of the mat, then just brush and combe till its gone, its all just part of owning a long haired breed like the cockapoo.
Yes there is! I had a dog grooming business a few years ago and came across a brilliant product is Tropiclean De-Matt. You use it either like a conditioner and comb through the coat with it on when wet, then rinse and dry with a hairdryer and see how easily knots come out. OR you can use it like a spot treatment (behind the ears or elbows on a little knot) and comb or rake out the knot/matted area while wet, then dry with a hairdryer without rinsing. The products are so skin friendly that they will not burn if you leave in until the next time you wash her.

De-matt enables us to keep our Cockapoo's shaggy and un-clipped. I just do some strategic prettying up on their faces with thinning scissors.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Gosh will look for that sounds great, save standing reading all the different kinds as well if you know its recommended, thanks x

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
They do a range of shampoos too, that have no soap or detergent in, they nourish the skin and don't wash off spot-on flea treatment. It's not in the shops but the importer (from USA) is R & L Pet Products, Unit 3, Rectory Farm Road, Sompting, Lancing, West Sussex. BN15 0DP. 01903 07515 164692 [email protected] they do mail order. www.rlpetproducts.co.uk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh My Word I just saw this and can't wait to order the conditioner!!!! Thanks so much!!!! Wishes do come true!!! :)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts