I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My 5 month old cockapoo has become very aggressive towards me and other family members (not so much to stangers). He is always barking and growling at us and biting. I understand that he is losing his baby teeth but this is aggression, and now I can barely do anything without him biting and growling, like stroking him or picking him up. It's made me a bit scared of going near him. I am quite worried and I was surprised that he could be that aggressive. does anyone have any advice or something similar with their cockapoo. Please answer, thank you!!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Where are you? If you are near enough to me in the Midlands in the UK I would be happy to come and take a look but it sounds like you need someone to come and see what is happening now. If you are based in the UK I can try to find a decent trainer to come and help.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I would also add - dogs should very rarely need to be picked up so I would question why the need to pick him up especially if he does not like it.

Likewise stroking is meant to be pleasant to the dog so if he is growling and biting when you do, either he is actually playing and it is just miscommunication between you or he is not liking it which may be something has scared or worried him and he needs a slower approach.

Are you going to puppy classes? Good positive reward based classes can be a huge help to new owners but it really does sound like you need some help. At this age problems should be relatively easy to resolve but you need to do something now so avoid conflict for now until you can get someone to see what is going on.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Five months old - your pup is on the verge of becoming an oiky teenage pup with hormones... He just needs help to behave like a good dog.
If you can take 2ndhandgirl's offer
Don't pick him up, he is a dog. I would keep a house line on him in the home so you can use it to lead him off furniture or away from a situation that you do not want him to be in.
Look at Some You Tube videos for clicker training pups. Cockapoos are very bright they really benefit from learning early on that training is FUN.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my cockerpoo is 4 months and just seems to be going through the same thing. Growling a little bit. She just seems to have changed a bit. My husband thinks it is her teeth. When she is like this, just can't seem to do anything with her. Starting puppy classes tomo. So hopefully this will help

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Hi, my cockerpoo is 4 months and just seems to be going through the same thing. Growling a little bit. She just seems to have changed a bit. My husband thinks it is her teeth. When she is like this, just can't seem to do anything with her. Starting puppy classes tomo. So hopefully this will help

Puppy classes will help. Learning commands like leave it and drop it come in real handy when they don't want to. Another key thing is not to react with anger or fear when he does growl. It turns into a bad feedback loop and can escalate a lot faster. When Beemer did it with a bully stick about that age, one he was interested in something else, such as going outside, all bullies or anything else he even hinted at resource guarding were put away. And we practice leave it and drop it to this day.

I also wonder if me having to swipe their mouths to pull out rocks and toy stuffing and plastic squeaker pieces has made asking them to give up things easier as I'm not scared of their teeth. Yes they hurt, but when the bee sting pricks your hand instead of her mouth or my hand is what pulls the big wad of cactus thorns out of his mouth before taking him to the emergency vet - well a scratch from their teeth don't seem so much.

Teaching bite inhibition, training commands, and removing temptation will make your life a whole lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Make sure you give your pup enough undisturbed rest time.
Good luck at puppy class.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
What is and what has been your approach when attempting to take things off him? Getting him to move etc? I've always found offering a high value treat instead of the dock, pebble or whatever gets an immediate and positive reaction, with plenty of praise for swapping. Re picking them up, again, how do you do it. I always approach mine gently, so they are not startled, I will stroke them first and then a hand placed under the bottom and between the back legs, ( so they sit on your hand in effect, and then the hand in front is between their front legs and around one leg.. This makes them really secure and they feel safe. It's how I get them in the car. It's a bit high for them especially in the garage where the light is not too good. Also helps when lifting on to the vets table, or onto the bed when they are feeling off colour. Always been gentle and friendly and calm. Never shout or scream at them and never chase them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
618 Posts
All the advice you have been given is good. Definitely do not pick him up if he is growling at you - that is a warning that he does not like that behaviour. Puppy classes will help, along with any training activities with high-value treats that can provide some mental stimulation. Make sure he gets enough rest - puppies need A LOT of rest or they can become agitated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts