I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - new member here and I could really do with some help/guidance please. We brought our Cockapoo ‘Storm’ home 3 weeks ago and she is now 12 weeks old. We have 2 issues:

We were really keen to crate train her and I’ve been sleeping on the sofa since we got her to help with that to be on hand and close by for the night time garden trips. I set my alarm for about 3 hour intervals and seems to be working ok bar a few accidents. We’ve got to the point where she will voluntarily go into her crate to sleep with the door open from about 2230 and we’re up and about around 0530. The first problem that I have is that I really don’t know how to move on to the next stage of her being shut in her crate while I go to bed - obv still doing the night time toilet stuff. This problem is probably made harder by the second issue:

since I’ve been doing most of the work with her, sleeping on the sofa, taking her for walks etc etc she has become super attached to me. She literally follows me everywhere I go all day. I can’t even go upstairs (where she’s not allowed until she’s toilet trained) without her crying and shrieking the house down. Even with other people around her, she only wants me.

So I could really do with some help on how to get back to my bed, with her in her crate, keeping in mind that she won’t let me out of her sight for the most part please!

thank you so much

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
OK - a few things - you need to start shutting the crate door before you are going to make any progress on the overnight crate, then once happy with that you need to move the crate further from you gradually over successive nights. I would also be pushing back the intervals for breaks.

For general leaving, child gates are your best friend, go through (or step over) gate and immediately come back before puppy objects, repeat until pup is bored with you and happy playing with stuff while you do that, then start to inch up the time gradually. It can really help to give them something interesting to do whilst you do this.

You can also practice moving from room to room, wait until pup settles down then quietly move to another room, wait for settle and move back to first room, again you are aiming for them to get bored with following you and decides to just stay and snooze

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK - a few things - you need to start shutting the crate door before you are going to make any progress on the overnight crate, then once happy with that you need to move the crate further from you gradually over successive nights. I would also be pushing back the intervals for breaks.

For general leaving, child gates are your best friend, go through (or step over) gate and immediately come back before puppy objects, repeat until pup is bored with you and happy playing with stuff while you do that, then start to inch up the time gradually. It can really help to give them something interesting to do whilst you do this.

You can also practice moving from room to room, wait until pup settles down then quietly move to another room, wait for settle and move back to first room, again you are aiming for them to get bored with following you and decides to just stay and snooze
Thank you very much - I’ve tried the ‘making her bored’ routine and def seems to be working already. I’ll keep it up and fingers crossed it’ll start making her feel a lot more comfortable about me not being there for longer periods.

With regard to shutting the door on the crate at night, I know already that she’ll freak out as soon as she realises that it’s shut properly. What should I do in that situation? Ive seen in some places that they shouldn’t be left to cry but also that they need to calm down before ‘rewarding’ them for calming down. Should I keep the door shut whilst reassuring her or wait til she’s calmed? My main worry is making the anxiety worse.

thanks again!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Have a look at crate games.

Pups grow up in a litter and need to learn that they are OK alone, leaving them to cry does not help that so small baby steps is the best way - but overall sounds like a fairly normal pup - they want to follow their person and need to learn to cope with them leaving without it being the end of the world.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts