I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was supposed to have Poppy cut and groomed today. The groomer has been once before, and Poppy wasn't impressed. He came today, she started growling lightly and barking. I picked her up. He then said thanks, and grabbed her of me roughly, Poppy was still clinging to me. Next thing he throws her bodily on to the stairs and starts screaming. Apparently she bit him and drew blood:(. I did see a small amount of blood and it didn't look anywhere as nears as bad as he was making out (I am a nurse, so do know a bit about wounds) But didn't hear any growling when she was supposed to have bit him. She's never bit any one before, even strangers she greets with like and kisses.
He's now gone off to get a tetanus. Poppy has been sat shaking under a chair since he left. Thought I'd got out of the nipping stage etc, looks like I've got my work cut out for me.

:(

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
OMG what a bloody awful man.....I think he needs to get a new job!!!!!!
Poor poppy!!
I would ask doggy friends if they use a groomer or ask at your vets, recommended ones are far better,
I would be so angry if I were you. Hope Poppy is ok
xx

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Maybe when he grabbed her he trapped her skin, puller her fur or pressed hard on an area which was very uncomfortable for her.

Has she exhibited this with anyone/anything else? It sounds pretty out of the blue which says to me that it was the situation rather than bad behaviour, although I'm no expert on this.

And I agree with everyone else on this, I think he's not in the right job if he over reacts to a nip like that!!!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I do not know why some people work with Animals...I am sure he grabed her roughly...you have never talked about aggression before with Poppy so I am sure this is a one time thing....and just as a side note....as groomer....shouldn't you always be up to date with your tetnus, since cutting yourself is highly likely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
It definitely sounds like this guy went in with the wrong approach. If he was a professional he would have introduced himself again to Poppy very slowly and not have grabbed her off you like that! Poor Poppy! I think I would have bitten him.

Hope she gets over her little shock and I agree, surely he would be up to date with tetanus jabs in his line of work. If I were you I wouldn't use him again!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
dont like the sound of him, i think as a groomer you have to exspect a dog to get you at some point.

i have never (touch wood) been bitten by a dog bad enough to traw blood but i have a good couple of bruses form dogs having a snap at me both at the kennels and in the groomen room, some from dog snapping at another do but i got in the way.

defo ask about for other grooming recomendations.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I used to take Izzy to Pets at Home as they have a grooming salon, I think they do in most of their branches. In our PaH there were always at least two staff present. The salon was in the shop, so everyone could see through the glass, and therefore you could be confident the dogs were treated properly as it was on public view. Maybe find somewhere like that for a while so that you know nothing untoward can happen behind closed doors. Once she is happy to go you could try an independent groomer again - but not the one you used! Good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replays, Poppy seems, to be back to her old self, so that's one good thing. Plus have been chatting to some friends and had a recommendation of a dog groomer. She always sits and plays with the dogs for 20-30 minutes before grooming them, to let them get used to her. Think today was the last thing I needed. As some of you know I've been of work with anxiety and depression, occupational health, HR and my GP said I'm not fit to go back yet, so last Monday, work asked me to come in and told me my employment was terminated. So all in all I've had better months

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Simon, so sorry to hear about your troubles. I agree it was the last thing you needed at this time. I hope you will be able to appeal against the decision, but whatever you do I wish you all the best. Hugs to you, and Teddy sends Poppy big licks.:hug:

·
Registered
148 Posts
So sorry, Simon, that things aren't so good at the moment. Anxiety and depression aren't always fully understood, even by those in the medical world - as I'm sure you know. All I can say is take the advise of those you trust and take your time. Things will get better, although maybe slower than you would wish. As for the groomer - I agree with previous posts - that man is in the wrong job.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.