I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help on dealing with a newish Cockapoo.

I have just bought a 6-month-old cockapoo from a divorcing couple and he has serious separation anxiety whenever we leave the room, go outside etc.

We are trying to crate train him for nights, but he hates the crate so much and won’t even go in it never mind shutting the door. We have tried to make it nice for him and encourage him in through the day with the door open and treats and he does now go in and out sometimes but close the door and he becomes so stressed it is horrible. He claws at the door and chews the bars, he pants and drools and is a total mess, I am scared he is going to hurt himself.

We are now taking it in turns to stay downstairs with him at night and he sleeps through no problem lying on the couch except we are in agony with back pain sleeping on the other one. We must get him used to staying downstairs in his crate and for when we go out but he just barks and gets so stressed constantly.

I don’t know what to do but if we can’t settle him, we may have to make some hard decisions.
To be fair we have only had him a week so I know it’s early days, but I can’t see him ever taking to the crate. We can’t even close a door between the living room and kitchen without him getting stressed and clawing at the door.

We already have a 3 year old Labradoodle who we trained easily and loved her crate. Now she is just looking on and wondering why I have done this to her ha.

Help!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have just bought a 6-month-old cockapoo from a divorcing couple and he has serious separation anxiety whenever we leave the room, go outside etc.

We are trying to crate train him for nights, but he hates the crate so much and won’t even go in it never mind shutting the door. We have tried to make it nice for him and encourage him in through the day with the door open and treats and he does now go in and out sometimes but close the door and he becomes so stressed it is horrible. He claws at the door and chews the bars, he pants and drools and is a total mess, I am scared he is going to hurt himself.

We are now taking it in turns to stay downstairs with him at night and he sleeps through no problem lying on the couch except we are in agony with back pain sleeping on the other one. We must get him used to staying downstairs in his crate and for when we go out but he just barks and gets so stressed constantly.

I don’t know what to do but if we can’t settle him, we may have to make some hard decisions.
To be fair we have only had him a week so I know it’s early days, but I can’t see him ever taking to the crate. We can’t even close a door between the living room and kitchen without him getting stressed and clawing at the door.

We already have a 3 year old Labradoodle who we trained easily and loved her crate. Now she is just looking on and wondering why I have done this to her ha.

Help!
I recommended this to someone else on this thread. I bought a sling carrier on Amazon for about 15.00. It's super soft and feels like a sweatshirt. Goes across your shoulder, the puppy goes in a pouch in the front. We got our cockapoo at 5 months, about 6 pounds. We are also crate training. I also bought a dog "box" for the car from Amazon that fastens to the seat, and keeps them safe. We have taken our cockapoo EVERYWHERE. The mall, supermarket, to drop the kids at school, my sons football game, my moms house. I've read that they need to be socialized as much as possible. We have walked her to go get ice cream,etc. Clearly, they can't walk the whole way. The sling is amazing. I even use it inside at home when I see that she's had enough, getting a bit crazy, I put her in the sling and can go about my business cleaning or cooking without her getting in trouble or peeing in the house. It also keeps her close to me, and feeling secure. Her crate training has been going well, because she is not alone very often. Highly recommend the sling carrier. Search ot on Amaxon, there are a few different options, not expensive. I got one that is a bit structured like a backpack, and one that is like a sweatshirt. Sadie prefers the sweatshirt version. They have pockets for treats and poopoo bags, even cell phones. Super comfy. I've always been a big dog owner so I'm learning about this tiny one as I go. It seems like she loves to play games like hide and seek, and is eager to please. There are great books about cockapoos on Audible. Give her a chance. And if you decide to offer her up for adoption, my sister has an amazing and beautiful home for her. You'd be welcome to visit. We have amazing vet references and histories with dogs. Not at all pushing that, but she has been looking to adopt a smaller dog, so if it doesn't work out, an option. My number is 845-664-3766 I hope ot works out for you guys!

·
Registered
Teddy Bear
58 Posts

Help!
can you move his Crate beside your Bed
maybe if he sees you he will sleep In His crate if he can see you

·
Registered
4 Posts
can you move his Crate beside your Bed
maybe if he sees you he will sleep In His crate if he can see you
I think this is a good idea. We keep our crate in our bedroom. We carry her upstairs at bedtime and try not to leave the room. So, it's the last thing we do at night.

She is also very cracker-oriented. We gave her a cracker when she goes in. Now she is excited to go in for her reward and sleeps all night.

Our prior dog slept on our bed. Kinda nice, kinda not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts