I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've got a 12 week old puppy, Diesel, he's been with us 4 weeks now, he's a little snap dragon, especially with me, he lunges at my legs and arms, hangs off my clothes. He's crated and sleeps lovely through the night. His biting is really getting me down. I've tried all sorts, pushing him away with a stern no, stopping & walking away even screaming at him and pretending to cry. I don't want to put him in his cage as punishment as I'm worried this will make him frightened of his cage. I make sure I have toys nearby to put in his mouth before he bites. He bites at the family but not as much, my 10 year old son is getting terrified of him. What can I do ? I'm starting to think I've made a terrible mistake in getting him :(

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
There seems to be loads of posts about puppies biting at the moment. Your pup will grow out of it, puppies bite and snap. They are rude little monkeys that are not born with good manners.
Firstly, sleep! Puppies need LOTS of it. Make sure pup gets plenty of bedtime. Tired puppy = snappy puppy.
Secondly I would buy a house training line ( use under supervision as puppy could get tangled and hurt) let the pup trail the line behind him, when he starts biting use the line to remove puppy from who ever he is biting. This way he will be getting next to no attention for the biting. I would ignore, no screaming or noise as pup thinks any reaction is great. It's about removing puppy from the stimulus. Your son may also be good at this as it will let him control pup with out having to put his hands near this teeth. Firm but gentle. Be consistent and eventually it will stop, I promise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Puppy Biting

I'm also having problems with my 13 week male Pup biting and he does have plenty of sleep. He sleeps whenever he can is very rarely disturbed.
I have tried most of the ideas on here and he still snaps; I am also trying not to put him in his cage when he starts because I also do not want him to become scared of it. When told off, he can sometimes just loose it and run off and then around frantically. He does tend to go for either me (Only Male in House) or my 13 year old daughter he does nearly everything for him in my absence. I'm worried that this will carry on into his older years.
Any further advice is most welcome.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Be patient. They will outgrow it. You could compare it to a toddler having a temper tantrum. When puppies are overtired they will get bitey. Just stay calm, redirect their attention towards a toy then ignore them.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Sorry to sound unsympathetic but this is perfectly normal. It's what puppies do. Dexter was the absolute worst biter. I had holes in the bottom of my trousers where he hang on to them by his teeth when my back was turned. Telling him off never worked. As you rightly say it's wrong to use the crate as punishment. I used to shut him in my downstairs loo for a few minutes which worked a bit.
Don't despair he will grow out of it and finally get the message. Give him lots of long lasting chews and you will need bags of patience. Bonnie did all her biting on Dexter not us so he got his come uppance! Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes they do grow out of it eventually but it is so annoying when they do it , I find a rolled up newspaper placed around the house that you can grab and give them a slap on nose with works along with a voice command , They then understand that if they bite they get a surprise ,it does not hurt just shocks them , be consistent and do not ever let puppies get away with it, there mother dog would not so why should you ? i will probably be reprimanded for this advise !! haha

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
yes they do grow out of it eventually but it is so annoying when they do it , I find a rolled up newspaper placed around the house that you can grab and give them a slap on nose with works along with a voice command , They then understand that if they bite they get a surprise ,it does not hurt just shocks them , be consistent and do not ever let puppies get away with it, there mother dog would not so why should you ? i will probably be reprimanded for this advise !! haha
I'm sorry Janice but I strongly disagree with you. You should never never ever hit or slap your puppy or dog! Would you hit a child? Sure they may get a surprise when you do but in the end you will end up with a dog that will cower in fear every time a hand is raised above its head or worse, a dog that becomes aggressive in order to protect itself.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I think we've moved on since the smacking and hitting days. When I was a child it was normal to get the odd smack from your parents and children even got smacked and caned at school. It the same with pets. I would never smack my dogs especially a young puppy, rewarding good behaviour is so much more effective.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Do not, do not hit your puppy!!!!! Janice, what are you thinking?!?
Hitting your puppy will just teach him to be scared of you and make a much bigger problem for you.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

Wait - are you suggesting hitting a 12 week old puppy that probably weighs 5-6lbs for doing what nature has designed them to do?

First they don't just "grow" out of it which is why everyone has given amazing suggestions already. You also have to teach the baby-puppy bite inhibition as that's what the mom and littermates would do. I know this because I watched Lexi&Beemer do that with each other. I understood what they were doing because the same advice previously given by others fit exactly what they were doing.

Second, your logic doesn't make any sense to me. The very point of smacking the nose of a baby-puppy is to inflict pain. By adding the length of the newspaper you actually add more leverage and torque making the impact significantly harder than if you used the part closest to your hand. Where do baseball players hit the ball on the bat? The furthest part of the bat because of this. So it's just not true. Otherwise the baby-puppy wouldn't be "shocked".

Third, a baby-puppy's mom would never react that is not commensurate to the offense. She would also teach bite inhibition which means she would be letting it gnaw on her (hanging of ears) until it was too hard and then give the baby-puppy correction to not bite down so hard. It would not overreact.

Finally, I don't think it's a funny. Suggesting inflicting violence on a tiny helpless creature and then laughing about being reprimanded is not amusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
:rolleyes:ok have it your way after all you all no best, lets let the puppy go on biting the owners and it may bite a child in the face but thats ok ? if the puppy bite its mother or siblings the mum would bite puppy or siblings would retaliate , we are dealing with dogs not children.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am going to leave Janice's comment up as it highlights everything you should NEVER do to a dog.
Janice please do not offer up violence as a way to treat puppies, this could be the shortest comeback in history!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wait - are you suggesting hitting a 12 week old puppy that probably weighs 5-6lbs for doing what nature has designed them to do?

First they don't just "grow" out of it which is why everyone has given amazing suggestions already. You also have to teach the baby-puppy bite inhibition as that's what the mom and littermates would do. I know this because I watched Lexi&Beemer do that with each other. I understood what they were doing because the same advice previously given by others fit exactly what they were doing.

Second, your logic doesn't make any sense to me. The very point of smacking the nose of a baby-puppy is to inflict pain. By adding the length of the newspaper you actually add more leverage and torque making the impact significantly harder than if you used the part closest to your hand. Where do baseball players hit the ball on the bat? The furthest part of the bat because of this. So it's just not true. Otherwise the baby-puppy wouldn't be "shocked".

Third, a baby-puppy's mom would never react that is not commensurate to the offense. She would also teach bite inhibition which means she would be letting it gnaw on her (hanging of ears) until it was too hard and then give the baby-puppy correction to not bite down so hard. It would not overreact.

Finally, I don't think it's a funny. Suggesting inflicting violence on a tiny helpless creature and then laughing about being reprimanded is not amusing.

lexi and beemer how many litters have you bred have you watched consistently mothers and puppies , don't think so ? i have and i do no what i am talking about .

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
From working with numerous pups at classes as well as my own dogs and friends who have fostered many pups between them, those most likely to bite people are the ones raised with humans who have hit them or otherwise made them afraid which is exactly what this is likely to lead to.

My dogs are not afraid of me and if someone has to make a sudden grab for them one day for any reason they are not likely to fear they are going to be hit and maybe bite out of fear.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Janice, the number of litters a person has does not dictate the respect that animals should have. by your logic a puppy mill is a great representation on how to care for dogs.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
This is my two playing when Chance (black dog) was around 3 months and Molly was 3 - they are playing using their mouths as dogs do and the game would stop immediately if either was getting too rough.

You will notice at the end of the video Chance gets too close to the yellow toy and Molly stops playing and warns her - all done with body language and no aggression or rolled up newspapers in sight.

http://beanydogz.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/playing.html

Chance was born in my friends house and I saw her, the other pups and mother most days, I did not witness rough telling off at any stage. As Chance got older the other dogs sometimes told her off, but again all done with body language and not touching or hurting.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts