I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I would like some advice on my cockapoo Milo. He’s almost 10 weeks old we have had him for just over 1 week.

We have been trying to crate train him, the first couple of nights were terrible with him waking up every hour or two whining and crying. We had him in our bedroom in the crate but it didn’t make a difference.

Im the end we took his crate back downstairs and slept on the sofa for the rest of that week which seemed to work and he settled.

He is now sleeping downstairs and we are back upstairs he sometimes wakes up for a wee around 5:30am.

The issue main issue we have is that we can not leave him in a room without us being in there crated or not without him whining and crying constantly!

I have tired putting a kong in with him but it only entertains him for a few minutes before he starts again. He doesn’t seem to be massively driven by food he’s quite fussy with food.

we really need to get him to be used to be left on his own at least for a couple of hours as me and my partner both work.

any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are at a loss!

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
You need to build up very slowly and gradually so it sounds like you can leave him with a kong for a few minutes? You need to practice at that level and then very gradually increase the time so he is not crying and getting upset

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone,

I would like some advice on my cockapoo Milo. He’s almost 10 weeks old we have had him for just over 1 week.

We have been trying to crate train him, the first couple of nights were terrible with him waking up every hour or two whining and crying. We had him in our bedroom in the crate but it didn’t make a difference.

Im the end we took his crate back downstairs and slept on the sofa for the rest of that week which seemed to work and he settled.

He is now sleeping downstairs and we are back upstairs he sometimes wakes up for a wee around 5:30am.

The issue main issue we have is that we can not leave him in a room without us being in there crated or not without him whining and crying constantly!

I have tired putting a kong in with him but it only entertains him for a few minutes before he starts again. He doesn’t seem to be massively driven by food he’s quite fussy with food.

we really need to get him to be used to be left on his own at least for a couple of hours as me and my partner both work.

any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are at a loss!

thanks in advance
I agree with the above. Milo will get there but you have to slowly build it up and increase the time gradually. He grows everyday and starts to understand as days go by. Patience is key though and you’ll see the result. Most people do say devote at min 3 months to get him settled in. Well done and all the best

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for all the helpful feedback.
He does seem to be getting slightly better day bday!
I think sometimes I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing because there’s so much conflicting advice out there.
Here’s a picture of him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The best way to stop your puppy from crying at night is to respond to their needs. If they are crying because they are feeling anxious, then some gentle reassurance from you that you are close by maybe all that is needed to settle them back to sleep. ... It can take a while before they are settled into a regular sleep pattern. I must say you should once go through this site, this will help you a lot, you will surely love this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts