I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I need some help!
I have a five month old cockapoo which we’ve had for two months.
During the day we leave her in the kitchen while we work, she is free to walk around the kitchen, she’s no confined to her crate. For about a month we had good progress with leaving the house. She used to jump into her bed and we would give her a kong and a food dispensing toy with chicken which she would play with while we left. The odd time she would cry when we left but it was mostly peaceful.
For the past three weeks on a Wednesday she comes with us as we leave for work as we drop her to doggy day care on that day. Then on Saturday mornings she comes with us as we go to puppy training classes.
For the past week now she has no interest in the kong or the toy and has started crying when we leave. No amount of chicken or treats can stop her crying. She always wants to come with us and tries to come out the kitchen door with us, we have to close the door practically in her face to stop her running out to the front door. She gets super excited because she wants to come with us and then when we open the front door to leave she starts barking and crying.
Some other information to have. We have a dog walker who comes to her at lunch time to walk her and let her out to pee, we leave the radio on during the day and we walk her in the evenings so she is well exercised. We get up and spend an hour with her in the morning training and playing fetch/tug of war. She sleeps in her crate downstairs, and she happily jumps into her crate every night to get her kong and go to bed. She wont go anywhere near her crate in the morning because she knows that was the previous cue to leave.
We have practiced leaving cues loads of times and she doesn’t cry. Like picking up keys, putting on our coats, picking up my handbag and going out the front door. Coming back in a few minutes later. Extending the time. This always goes well when we’re practising but for some reason she always seems to know which is the real time we leave and she cries.
I’m finding it quite stressful as I don’t really want to leave her like that.
There are no other signs of distress so I don’t think its separation anxiety. She is asleep most days when we come home. The dog walker says she doesn’t cry when she leaves the house. She doesn’t pee or poo or chew any of the furniture.
I’m just wondering if you have any tips that might help us out!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
She obviously really enjoys Wednesday's and Saturdays and wants more. Is there any chance she could go to day care Monday to Friday? You've shown her a better way to live than staying in the kitchen alone! :D. If the dog walker says she is happy when she visits at lunch times, then just maybe your girl is trying it on. I suspect you give off subtly different body language signals when pretending to leave and actually leaving. Besides which dogs know the time. She knows when you leave and when you are returning. Clever things...dogs! :)

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
This is tough - I hate leaving the dogs on the days I work... even though at the moment there is usually one if not two sons asleep in the house who will be around...
Your dog wants to be with you - it is a compliment, she loves you!
Dot will always come with me if there is an opportunity for her to come. She cannot come to work with me.... on those days I just tell her 'Nope you are not coming' and pick up my work bag. She doesn't cry or bark but she collapses into a slumped sit with the saddest expression and it breaks my heart ( and I suspect she knows it does) other times I say to her 'you can come' and she bounces out of the door tail waving, eyes gleaming and tail frantically wagging. Even if I'm just dropping a child down to the station or dropping some papers off in town...
Talk to your pup - Fairlie is a great exponent of how these dogs understand conversation!
If home your pup has to stay then she will have to get over this stage and start recognizing that some days she just doesn't get to come.
Interestingly my other two dogs are much more relaxed about being left at home and accept it well. Is it the poodle or the cocker in these dogs which make them such keen companions. I had always thought it was the poodle bit - but Kiki is fine about being left and she is much more poodle than Dot....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! While I would love to bring Jessy to doggy gay care every day of the week it's just not affordable! Also she is too young yet, she is so tired after one day I think thats enough for now!
We've actually done some training in the mornings and in the evenings by leaving the house for a few minutes and coming back in. My partner is doing it with me. It's really helped and she's 100% better now :)
These dogs always amaze me, i'm half thinking of getting into dog training now. i love it!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts