I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

My wife recently convinced me to get a puppy. I've never had one so didn't really know what to expect and I'm finding it very difficult. Our pup is now about 10 weeks old but we have found we are unable to leave her alone for even the smallest time. She cries, whines and barks the whole time. I'm getting concerned that she won't take to being left alone. Everything I have read says they should be fine after a week or so. I mean we're only talking 10 minutes to get her used to the idea of being along. We have a crate, we have kongs, toys in the crate but nothing works. Does anyone have any help or advice!? I know it's going to take time and patience but how long should it take?!

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's a problem most puppy owners encounter...... Try leaving her for 30 seconds. Say something like "see you soon" and walk out the door. Then walk back in. Next time try for a minute, leaving by the same door and saying the same words. She will soon cotton on that using those words mean you will be coming back. Then the time can slowly be built up in leaving her alone over the next few weeks and months. Routine and consistency is key and don't rush into leaving her for long periods as she is still so very young. It will take a good few weeks to build up her confidence. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a 12 week old pup and are expecting our first child in February! Anyone been in a similar situation? How did you get on?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm sure it will get better, 10 weeks is still like a tiny baby:).
Our puppy is now 9 months old, she would still rather be with us but seems to understand when we leave. When she was 10 weeks old I couldn't even have a shower without her crying, I either had to wait till she was asleep or take her into the bathroom with me! Even then, at the beginning, she cried and barked when I was in the shower cubicle!
When I go out I give her a little kiss and tell her, won't be long, see you soon. I make sure I'm totally organised to go before I shut her in the kitchen and say it otherwise she still barks and cries!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We had same problem with Henry at that age! What seemed to help was a nightlight and a tape playing soft outdoor sounds. Made sure his toys and bully were always in his crate with him. We leave the door a little open.
Now he's good for a few hours in his crate as well as all nite. Hope this helps a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts