I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Angie I have a 12 week old called maximums training is going so well very intelligent breed have a trainer also
The weeing is constant and driving me to despair literally the hardest thing I’ve ever done
I’m doing everything the trainer says and outside every half hour as if I don’t he goes every ten minutes indoors
My friend said wait til he starts cocking leg your settee will be covered and smell
That was like my last straw I literally cried and then googled this site
Any light at end of tunnel !?
someone said their 11 month cockapoo still pees in home
Omg I can’t start thought of selling him and giving up but I really am that distressed. Im doing everything listed on here treats outside stopped telling off for accidents inside vets done urine test all clear confined to one room crate trained praise everything I’m so frustrated and don’t want to give up but if he starts cocking leg and doing it on furniture that’s a step too far for me as smell would be hideous and if this is for months and months to come omg

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Telling off for indoors will have set back your progress. Take out as soon as pup wakes up, after eating, after playing and at least every hour when awake. Keep him in a small area when you are not closely supervising him and learn his signs of sniffing round. He is only a baby at 12 weeks and no reason at all why he won’t get clean if you are consistent

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou so much yes today zero accidents I have set up small lounge so we have been there since 6am! I’ve taken him out after play after sleep and every 45 minutes he even took himself out once ! I have rewarded with treats when he has gone also as a small space I’m getting to know his sniffing etc!
yes I felt the trainer was wrong telling me to tell him off ! Also I went out for 2 hours and he peed on puppy pad at door so everything easier today but full on like a new born ! Can I ask why telling him off set me back as you are spot on it really did set meback but why ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Telling off for indoors will have set back your progress. Take out as soon as pup wakes up, after eating, after playing and at least every hour when awake. Keep him in a small area when you are not closely supervising him and learn his signs of sniffing round. He is only a baby at 12 weeks and no reason at all why he won’t get clean if you are consistent
Also what do you mean are not close supervising ??

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
If you tell a puppy off for toileting inside all you will accomplish is a dog worried about toileting in front of you. They still need to toilet and so will become more secretive about going which makes it much harder to capture them going outside so you can reward them. If a trainer told you to tell them off I would ditch that trainer as that is very poor advice. Look for an APDT or IMDT trainer who should be trained in positive reward based methods. By closely supervising I mean watching where they are going and what they are doing so you can spit the signs they are about to go. Raising pups is exhausting but the onus at the moment is for you to take them out and let them get it right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes it's very hard in the beginning but everytime he wees outside lots of praise and a treat and they soon learn that's where I'm supposed to go outside. He is still too young at the moment to realise this but by 4 to 5 months they get it. I don't know much about male dogs as I have a female and she has been brilliant but I do have friends with male dogs and they are 12 months and 3 year's of age and both have been in my house and cocked their leg on my suite and peed much to my disgust as I'm really house proud so I totally get where your coming from. It will get easier give it another month

1 - 6 of 6 Posts