I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have joined this site as my cockapoo, Buffy (who is 1 year), is doing my mum's head in.
She was guarding a tissue she had grabbed from the bin about a week ago and when my mum went to get it, she got defensive and bit her, causing bruises on her arm and her finger to swell as a result of the cuts.
I love her more than anything but my mum is now understandably scared of her.
This would be 'fine' as it was pretty much a one off but Buffy is terrified of buses and cars (particularly buses) she screams at them if we go past on the street and pulls on her lead to the point where we avoid the roads almost altogether, it wouldn't be so bad but my mum gets so angry and screams back at her when she does this, she also threatens to get rid of her a lot because she is so crazy. She really is a sweet dog she just has her moments and my family love her so much but my parents are at their wits end.
I would be distraught if we had to get rid of her and I can't move out yet and take her with me so there is nothing I can do. Any advice?!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I would say it is well worth booking a one to one visit with a good reward based trainer to set you all on the right path http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers

Resource guarding can be overcome but a dog who guards is very worried about having the item taken away from it and needs to be listened to. You need to start slowly and teach her to give things up and that moving away from them is always the better option. Molly came to live with me because her owners could not cope with her as she guarded anything. She now rarely guards and if she does it tends to be a sign she is worried about something and she can be easily moved away from the item.

If she is so scared of traffic you need to take her somewhere she can see them at a distance such that she can cope and take lots of tasty treats and then gradually move closer to them as she starts to cope. Getting angry with her will just make her much more worried and she needs calm structured training and understanding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with the shouting thing, it really doesn't help. Thank you so much for your advice! We have booked an appointment with a behaviourist and are getting blood tests done at the vets as she has become overly aggressive to anyone and everything (barking, growling, howling etc) since she turned 1. Thanks for the advice, will have a look at trainers and look at traffic from a distance to see if we can get her more acclimatised.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts