I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So two very important concepts....

1. I am trying to crate train Dexter and he absolutely hates it. I put him in there a few times during the day while I am home so he can get used to it while he still sees me but he still goes crazy with crying/whimpering and I feel like I am torturing him :confused: Is this normal? I know it'll take time for him to get used to it but I feel like I am doing it wrong.

2. Before I picked Dexter up his breeders mentioned to me to be careful about taking him outside because he hasn't had his last set of shots. This leads me to believe that he was never exposed to the outdoors (grass/trees/flowers) because when I take him out, he has no idea he is supposed to use the bathroom. Again, I feel like I am doing everything wrong, so any tips that will help me get him more used to the outdoors and the idea of using the bathroom outside would be greatly appreciated!!

Maybe I'm overreacting, it is only day two or his first full day with me, so maybe I just need to be patient and give him time. We'll see how nights 2 goes. Luckily he is so cute and fun :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
i've had my puppy for just over a week now so i am defo not an expert. but this is what we've tried so far: his whimpering was quite bad at first too - when we were in the same room as his crate he was fine, but as soon as we left he would whimper. to try to stop this we went out of the room, waited for him to stop whining (even if it was for 10seconds), went in whilst he was still quiet and gave him attention. the next time we'd wait for a longer period of silence - eg 30 secs, then go in and give him attention. we gradually increased the time we'd wait.

this was a slow process, and even though he still whimpers a bit when we leave the room, he calms down much more quickly and ends up falling asleep.

with the bathroom issue, we found that repeating the phrase 'be quick' in a hushed but happy voice helps him to realise he should try to go. and make sure after EVERY wee/poo outside treat him and praise him like he's done something amazing. if he doesn't go in three minutes take him in and put him straight into the crate (no fuss) and try again 10mins later. keep doing this and eventually he will go. takes time and patience but you will get there.

frank is now brilliant at weeing - he does so as soon as he's outside. but the poo situation is a bit different - sometimes he's sniffing around and we think he's gonna go, but then he walks to the backdoor wanting to go back in. also if neighbours make any noise in their gardens at all, this puts frank off and again he won't go. hopefully he'll improve as the training continues.

i wish there was a magic wand to make it all happen straight away, but realistically it takes time. keep us updated on how he's doing xx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
give hum a kong when he is in his crate, it takes mind of being in the crate and makes it a positive place to be.

in a puppys brain just like a baby its a case off when they need to go they just pee where they are. its up to us as the owners to teach them where we want them to pee, in the wiled they would pee anywhere.

lol dont wory your just a worried new owner, as they get older you will start to relax.

folow Jen's advice and yould be laughing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
1. he still goes crazy with crying/whimpering and I feel like I am torturing him Is this normal?
Not normal, a crate shouldn't be a bad place, something they dread and avoid at all cost. They should like it! Jens advice is great on this issue.
2. I feel like I am doing everything wrong, so any tips that will help me get him more used to the outdoors and the idea of using the bathroom outside would be greatly appreciated!!
Go with Jen. :) Also, once he understands to go outside, he'll still consider a far off room as good as outside for a while longer. This will speed up house training: http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/umbilical-cord-training.htm

Here's a vid that can apply for crates (it's teaching mainly for play pens) from a trainer I love, look through her stuff, she's great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxhcb-itO4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the all of tips. I don't think he hates the crate, I just think he hates being away from me. Last night he slept in it fine (granted his crate was on the bed with me) but I even caught him playing with a toy in there before we "woke up". I am going to try to leave the crate on the floor tonight and see how that goes. I guess the separation anxiety is just part of the process?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts