I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on this site in a while, but I am in desperate need for help.

My cockatoo, Tanner, is about 10 months old. He is fixed and we bought him from a petstore when he was 11 weeks old.
He was fine as a puppy, and up until about 2 months ago he has been very touchy.
When we scratch his belly, he is fine but then all of a sudden he will snap at you. We will be sitting on the couch and we will be petting him as he lays on our lap and all of a sudden he will show his teeth and growl at all of us.

It is to the point where we are afraid to touch the dog. He has no reason as to why he is acting the way he is.

Has anyone else had this problem? We really don't want to get rid of him because we do love him but we can't have this in our house. We can't even trust being around Tanner.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Have you thought about looking into a dog behaviourist? can you tell us more about his routine, and how he acts throught the day. it could be he is confused as to who is the alpha and you may need to assert the family in being the alpha, but without more informaton I am affraid I can't offer any advice

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Definitely get him checked by a vet first, all books i've read about dealing with behaviour problems say get them checked out for physical problems first. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have taken him to the vet, multiple times.

He snaps for no reason at all. He has never been treated badly and he has never has any reason to turn on any of us. My mom is his prime owner, and last night she was brushing him like she always does and he snapped at her.

It's to the point where we are all afraid of the dog.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
if he did it when brushing it ccould be that tanner was slightly hurt, and letting you guys know.
If this is him trying to assert dominance, and again, I reserve jusdgement as I don't know the whole situation.....but you all need to make sure that he knows he is low on the list of leaders in your pack.
if he feels like he is the leader of the pack, then he will be stressed out alot, and worried. is this the only behaviour that he exibits? has he bitten anyone?
Do you leave his food down all the time? does he get possesive over toys or food? just need alot more information about it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.