I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my 15 week old Cockapoo bites my older dogs ears all the time. My older dog is laid back but is now starting to avoid my pup. Is this something my pup will grow out of ? Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Of course your pup will grow out of ear biting! He/she is teething and hasn't yet learnt that biting other doggie's ears is not a good way to make friends. Your older dog will surely reprimand your pup when he / she has had enough - as will other dogs - and this is how your pup will learn.

Things do get better once the adult teeth are all in - but that might be a little while yet. In the meantime, you can offer lots of other interesting things to chew on like ice cubes, kongs, antlers and the like. And make sure that your older dog is able to escape the relentless attacks when he/she has had enough.

It would be lovely to see some pics of your toothsome pup :)

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Miss Lilly is right - the only thing I would add is to interrupt and give you older dog a break if pup is doing it too much as some adults are just too polite.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
My collie is enormously polite and it took her ages to learn that I was not going to be cross with her if she told wretched puppies off. She was actually depressed for about a month after we got Kiki and would wander around with a wounded 'why?' expression. She was a lot less tolerant with Dot than she was with Kiki, but I have to say that as Dot did not care it really did not stop the ear/nose/tail/face/leg/other leg/other leg/other leg/belly biting at all. I would also say that they are all the best of friends now and rough and tumble and chase and bite and lick and cuddle all the time.
Inzi used to love it when I snuck her out for some quality her and me time, and I did put the pups in the kitchen behind a baby gate for their sleepy times, which gave Inzi a break too.
Can we have pics of the terror and the terrorized? :p

·
Registered
618 Posts
In the meantime, you can offer lots of other interesting things to chew on like ice cubes, kongs, antlers and the like.
Great suggestions here! One thing though - I've heard antlers are not safe for puppy teeth, as they are not very strong and puppy teeth can easily break if they chew antlers and bones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts