I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I've just joined the site as I'm interested in buying a cockerpoo puppy. I've looked at several breeder websites and wondered if anyone knows a good breeder around the lancashire, Yorkshire or Cumbria area. I also would like peoples thoughts on bringing a puppy into a house with my other baby, my 16 year old cat who thinks she it part dog!! I love her to bits and don't want to upset her she is not like most cats independent and aloof. Has anyone else introduced a cockerpoo to a house with an older cat? Am I best just waiting.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcome, think their are a couple of people on hear with elderly cats who may be able to help.

so for you puppy hunt do you know what your looking for, English/American toy/min then what generation are you looking for and are you after a girl/boy, do you have a colour preference.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hi there and welcome .. It s always a consideration introducing someone new ... I think theres a thread asking people what other pets they've got .. mot sure if its good or not that your cat thinks its a dog lol... Good luck with your search, great choice I think you just need to know what you want and ask plenty of questions and ensure that you are happy with the answers.... but will keep a look out when you say what your after we love a project x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,m thanks for you comments back. I would like a mix with a small cocker English and a miniture poodle, don't want anything too big. I like the apricot and cream colours or black. I probably would prefer a girl though I'm slightly concerned about when she comes into season!!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Hi,m thanks for you comments back. I would like a mix with a small cocker English and a miniture poodle, don't want anything too big. I like the apricot and cream colours or black. I probably would prefer a girl though I'm slightly concerned about when she comes into season!!
what are your concerns about her season?. we had all our girls spayed before their first season.
my three english x min range from about 18" to 16" my american x min is abouth 14" the last time i chekd, she was 6 or 7 months when i last mesured her.

oo just masured Delta and she is about 15 1/2" but wont be sure till i clup her lol for some reason i keep thinking she is already 8 months old

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
what are your concerns about her season?. we had all our girls spayed before their first season.
my three english x min range from about 18" to 16" my american x min is abouth 14" the last time i chekd, she was 6 or 7 months when i last mesured her.

oo just masured Delta and she is about 15 1/2" but wont be sure till i clup her lol for some reason i keep thinking she is already 8 months old
Gosh Delta getting up there is nt she ... does nt look like your American baby is going to be any smaller than the others does it?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Gosh Delta getting up there is nt she ... does nt look like your American baby is going to be any smaller than the others does it?
not magerly smaller but she is a little shorter i think i will be happy if she matches gypsy in hight as Geyps is a littl over 16", but you still se the difference between her and Echo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have a 16 year old cat and after many months of trying to get the puppy, now 10 months old, to leave the cat alone, I have just given up. The cat had to have an emergency op a month ago to remove a kidney. We feel she deserves to have peace as she has been a pet to us since my kids were in secondary school. We have now divided the garden in two with a fence!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've wondered about Rosedaledoodles good to know someone has bought from there and can recommend. Since reading the problems other owners have had trying to introduce their new puppy to older cats, I think it would be best to wait and let Lulu live the rest of hers years in peace. At least I know the bread I want and that there is a good breader close by. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oooh it'll be torture... Im sure a few people have older cats with no problems ... not pushing you to look for a pup ......honest x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi

Just wondered if anyone had bought a pup from rosedaledoodles in Preston. I know one person OSCAR said they were getting one, did you and how are things going?

·
Registered
369 Posts
HI I've just joined the site as I'm interested in buying a cockerpoo puppy. I've looked at several breeder websites and wondered if anyone knows a good breeder around the lancashire, Yorkshire or Cumbria area. I also would like peoples thoughts on bringing a puppy into a house with my other baby, my 16 year old cat who thinks she it part dog!! I love her to bits and don't want to upset her she is not like most cats independent and aloof. Has anyone else introduced a cockerpoo to a house with an older cat? Am I best just waiting.
Hi
We have introduced our Cockapoo to our two cats aged 2 and 4 and Eddie was 9 months when we got him so not even a little pup. The cats disappeared for hours at a time at first (still came home for food though!) and Eddie is still learning the boundaries 6 weeks later, but I am sure with a little pup is must be easier?!

You are supposed to use stair gates and give the cat its own personal space to escape to and let them get the scent of each other through closed doors and never let the pup chase the cat. Our two cats swipe at Eddie when he gets too playful, but as he is older its been more difficult to train him to leave them alone!

Maybe as your cat is so old he wouldn't want to roam off? It is difficult to make the right decision and I certainly lost sleep stressing over introducing Eddie, but it is working and animals are very adaptable - it just takes time.

I suppose its down to your cats personality - mine had already grown up with our previous dog so although it was still scary for them, they had experience of dogs already.

I don't know if this is going to help much :confused: Sorry!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My friend has a gorgeous 2 year old choc girl from rosedales and is beautiful with an amazing nature and carol on this forum has maisy from rosedales,she is gorgeous and has a lovely nature too.With regards to inroducing a cat,i have 3 cats and 7 dogs,my persian as the first one here and after slowly introducing each time a pup arrives and not allowing the puppy to chase,its worked out great,the cats and dogs all live in harmony together:)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Hi Kendal

Sorry to hijack someone elses thread but can you give me an idea of when they stop growing please? Beau is only 19 and a bit weeks and someone said she is almost fully grown but I thought she had a lot more to go :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Hi Mandy, I have a Cocker (11) who came after our cat and it was no problem, we have since got a siamese (other cat died) and Phoebe chases him at every opportunity. How can I stop pup from doing it, how do you introduce slowly etc.?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My friend has a gorgeous 2 year old choc girl from rosedales and is beautiful with an amazing nature and carol on this forum has maisy from rosedales,she is gorgeous and has a lovely nature too.With regards to inroducing a cat,i have 3 cats and 7 dogs,my persian as the first one here and after slowly introducing each time a pup arrives and not allowing the puppy to chase,its worked out great,the cats and dogs all live in harmony together:)
Like Mandy says, my Maisy is from Rosedale doodles, she is the most fantastic natured dog, I couldn't have asked for better - she was brilliant as a pup and was dry from the first night we brought her home. Mandy's friend has Maisy's half sister from Rosedales (same mum) and again is fantanstic.This is a piccie of the day we picked her up - a year ago today!

This is her at about 4 months

and now

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Like Mandy says, my Maisy is from Rosedale doodles, she is the most fantastic natured dog, I couldn't have asked for better - she was brilliant as a pup and was dry from the first night we brought her home. Mandy's friend has Maisy's half sister from Rosedales (same mum) and again is fantanstic.This is a piccie of the day we picked her up - a year ago today!

This is her at about 4 months

and now

She really was beautiful from day one and has turned out to be the most stunning girl,just love her!:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts