I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Cody. 5 months old
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting from North Scotland.
5 month old cockapoo totally refuses to walk to heel.!!!! Tried trainer, short leads, long lead.!!! He will walk on extendable lead, and recall is good with that.
He was very sick at 10 weeks old and was handfed for 4 days every 2 hours. Hence I have a velcro dog.!!! Vet checked..he is healthy.
Otherwise he is intelligent and has learned everything else very quickly, and is loving , funny and kind.
Any suggestions please.? Thank you.
Jencam

· Registered
25 Posts
Hi Jencam :) I start with teaching 'look at me ''so my dog is used to giving me their full attention.
I do this by getting my dog to sit then holding a treat in front of my nose and saying 'look at me' then give the treat/praise when the dogs eyes meet mine . Repeat many times in different areas to reinforce the behaviour eventually only treat occasionally but always praise .
This is the Dogs Trust way to walk on a lead ...

For a dog already pulling you can use a loose lead technique to teach the dog to walk nicely, so as soon as there is any tension on the lead walk in the other direction.

This video may help, if your dog is taught 'look at me' and used to giving you its full attention minimum pressure should be needed on the lead.

· Registered
Cody. 5 months old
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Comfort Grey
Door mat Dog Floor Flooring Wood

Hi Jencam :) I start with teaching 'look at me ''so my dog is used to giving me their full attention.
I do this by getting my dog to sit then holding a treat in front of my nose and saying 'look at me' then give the treat/praise when the dogs eyes meet mine . Repeat many times to reinforce the behaviour eventually only treat occasionally but always praise .
This is the Dogs Trust way to walk on a lead ...

For pulling I also use the loose lead technique to teach the dog to walk nicely, so as soon as there is any tension on the lead I walk in the other direction.

Pippin walks well on the lead when I need her too . I also have a retractable lead for playing madly in the field, I dare not let her loose because of scaring the in lamb ewes . Puffin is 5 months now.

This video may help, if your dog is taught look at me and used to giving you full attention minimum pressure should be needed on the lead.
Thank you...My boy will do everything else but walk properly.!!!! Eye to eye contact is easy...recall simple...all the many other things...wait when a car comes etc etc..no prob. Trainer is retired police dog handler....so frustrating for he and I.
But..hopefully he will grow into it.
All other commands, immediate response. Pic is Cody on armchair we used when he was so ill.!!! and he does share with others, which has surprised me. Thought he may have claimed it.
I suppose if his only fault is not walking to heel, this can be tolerated.!!!
Patience is the way with him. I am sure he will crack it.!!! Apart from his love of my slippers...lol. Thanks again.
Jen

· Registered
Cody. 5 months old
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. He is healthy as a flea.!!!! So easy to train, except for that one thing.....lol. He is great fun and adores little kids. Friend has 3 month old baby and Cody sits beside buggy while baby asleep. Watches anyone who goes near....strangers are not allowed near baby until he checks them out.!!! Friend has Cody's sister who basically is a lazy lump, but does the same with the baby..
Amazing how they know isn't it.!!!
My boy is a rogue in his own house , but perfect anywhere else.!!!! Does not move from my side at all.
Hey ho....this is the way of it..lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts