I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to this site. We have Coby, an 8 month old male, who is settling into our home. He was recently neutered, and is a ball of energy.

My question regards him wanting to be outside all the time. As I write, it's snowing, and it's not always possible for us to be out with him. He has access to our fenced in back yard, and because of his insatiable desire to be outside, we have started letting him out alone. The fence is secure as far as keeping him in, but it would be possible for another animal to climb in. We have had a raccoon within the confines, and deer can jump the low portions. Coby loves to be out, even by himself, and even if he doesn't come bounding over when we call him, he usually makes himself visible. We pretty much watch him when we let him out, but I can see starting to let him leave our sights more and more (give an inch....). Plus, in the snow, it's easy to spot him unless he ducks behind a bush. Come warmer weather, his buff fur will be harder to track.

I want to hear what people think about this. When I spoke to my vet, she said you have to do what you feel comfortable with, and said she does let her small dog out alone (and lets her ride untethered and uncrated in the car, as it's a risk she is willing to take; Coby rides in a carrier for now).

Thank you, and I look forward to getting to hear about you and your cockapoos.
Carrie

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I guess it's pretty much your choice. I live in an apartment so Molly goes where I go. I take her for an hour walk daily and then she has her pee/poo breaks so she goes out at least 6 times a day. If I had a yard I wouldn't leave her out cause she is so friendly I would be scared someone might take her. Molly LOVES snow so we walk an hour a day and she is fine with that. Some dogs need more exercise.

Molly used to be in her crate in the car but now she has a doggy seat belt. She whines but she always has so we just ignore her.:rolleyes: She is fine she can be chewing on her antler back there and whines I don't get it but she is just "special" that way ha!:D

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Your back yard sounds lovely...
In the uk our gardens tend to be much smaller and threat from wild life is not so great. During the summer months my back door is always open and the dogs go in and out at will - however our garden is not big and I still walk them a minimum of three times a day.
If your dog is outside a lot on his own he will amuse himself and become increasingly independent of you.
If you balance the time he has free with the amount of time you spend positively interacting with him - doing training, playing games with him, taking him out for walks or rides with you in the car, it is probably ok.
Word of warning - someones pup was bitten by a rabies infected something (racoon?) I don't remember and had to be quaranteened. It was all very traumatic. There is a thread about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts