I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across your really informative site whilst searching for info on cockapoos-I dont have a dog at all yet but am keen to find out about cockapoos.
Its all been a steep learning curve as i'm no spring chicken!Indeed I can only do one finger typing (technophbic moi?) but hey I'm trying and really glad to find all you knowledgeable doglovers to put me straight.
Anyway I'm married with 3 daughters and 4 grandchildren and live near the sea and moors so feel lucky to live here near to lovely walks which I dont do half as much as I need to!-hoping a dog will cure that although I have read you cant go for long walks until the puppy is older or is that only in labradors which are prone to hip problems ?
As Isaid before we (yes husband,now retired also keen to reap dogwalking benefits when not reaping golfplaying benefits)have considered and rejected(regretfully) golden retrievers,labradors,labradoodles as growing too large.Spaniels seem to be a good size(not too big or too small)I didn't know cockapoos existed until a few months ago but they look amazing and sound clever,cuddly cute and just the sort of dog for us .
The thing is would we be good for a cockapoo being dog novices?
Any advice gratefully received!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think cockapoo's are brilliant dogs and very people friendly, flo is one and a half and is perfectly happy to sleep or walk for miles whatever we want to do. She is very easy and being as tho try don't shed hair or smell doggy they're very good for keeping the house respectable lol

They're also small enough to get on your knee and have a cuddle :) x

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello :)

I have only been a dog owner for about 4 months, so I don't have too much advice to give. A puppy really does get you out walking, that's for sure. I can't think of any other reason why I would be out walking this afternoon in -28 C, with the windchill, BRR... I only wish I had a lovely sea to walk near, like you do!

What I love about Cockapoos is how different they can look from each other, in colour, size, fur type, etc. So much variety! So I am sure you can find just the right Cockapoo for you.

I have found having being a first time dog owner IS a steep learning curve. It is like having a baby again....sleepless nights, toilet training, teething, discipline, etc. She is definately part of the family now, though. We can't remember life without her :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Flo is my first dog and I would now never be without one. For me a cockapoo was the perfect choice. The size is just right - big enough and with enough energy for long walks and fetching the ball but small enough to pick up and cuddle up at night. Flo is sooo attached and tries so hard to get everything right and figure out what we want. I have found her easy to train and really tolerant of our 4 year old daughter. When our little girl plays tug Flo seems to know how much force to use and when they play chase together Flo slows down and looks back so she can catch up and join in. I had always loved the look and size or the English Spaniel but didn't want lots of moulting and a cocker x poodle has turned out to be just right.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi Neesyanne, you sound like you would be a great owner. Cockapoos are great fun dogs - loveable and easy to train. They love retrieving balls and have endless energy, and you'll find it a great discipline having to do those lovely long walks whatever the weather! How else would you get to be out in the teeming rain every day? :)
I have heard that puppies should not be over-exercised - some say 5 minutes for every month of it's age, but most of us seem to find that once they are accustomed to walking with you (and they train off-lead really fast) they will rarely seem tired. Certainly by about 6-7 months they will be happy to walk a couple of hours. I get tired long before Dylan does!
I am with my pup pretty much 24/7 and he is my very best friend. I cannot imagine life without him now.
As long as you have the time and commitment, you will be great owners. x

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Neesyann

All the above comments are so true! My husband was dead against having a dog not having ever owned one before. However after several years my sons (14 and 10) finally made him give in. Well all I can say its changed our lives for the better and my husband loves Alfie our 7 month cockapoo. He has been an absolute dream to train picking things up easily. He has brought the family back together as the boys were starting to be more independant and not want to do things with "boring" mum and dad. Whereas now many a cold rainy weekend we all find ourselves wrapped up and on the beach (which cockapoos seem to love!!!) having fun! I'd def recommend this breed they are perfect in every way!

Keep us posted! :) x
Ps there are lots of techno phobes on this site ...me included!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bethany
Thanks for your advice-so happy to have found this site and the helpful people on it-think I am getting sure cockapoos are the ones for us! X

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Kelly.
Thanks for your advice-you seem really happy with your new puppy(my daughters think its a baby substitute-bit late for that lol X

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mandy,
Thanks for your reply Flo sounds perfect!-more convinced than ever that this breed is what we're looking for!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Dylansmum,
Thanks so much for advice -teeming rain and all(ever been to North Yorkshire? the rain has a special soaking agent usually mingled with sleet)Dylan looks like great fun its lovely to hear such positive comments about cockapoos-some people have only told us the downside of dog owning-being"tied" etc. nice to hear about the positive side thanksx

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Leone
Many thanks for your positive reply-you're not too far from Whitby if my rubbish geography is correct,which is the town closest to us .How great to hear that havingAlfie has had such a positive effect on your family.(if I knew what iI was doing I wpuld put one of those smiley things there must ask grandaughter-oh husband says just click on that:) looks upside down to me !) Will let you all know how search goes on there are pups in Barnsley if not too late) X

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well done Neesyann smileys in all the right places!! Dont worry it took me 6 months to post some photos on here and that was only with help from my 10 year old!!! Breeders online is a good website for finding breeders. We got Alfie from Anzil cockapoos in liverpool. Good luck with the search ............ x

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome neesyanne!
Cockapoos are definitely wonderful dogs. We had always had labs before but wanted something smaller with less shedding potential. They are just lovely creatures and although having a puppy can be exhausting sometimes(!) they are just so cute and fun that you can't help but love them. I know for us it has been a GREAT excuse to get out and move. I have never explored so much of my neighborhood/surrounding areas before! Watching them grow and learn is so rewarding too. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Also first time dog owner. We also consider labradoodles but like you say when you realise there is such a thing as a cockapoo a labradoodle just seems too big. Cant imagine a friendlier more loyal lovable creature and the news is spreading !!! Once met everyone wants one or two lol. I appreciate about the tying but the +'s outway the -'s and you sound to be in a great location for dogs ... how can you not lol. You never know your daughter might help you out .... good luck once you start looking you'll get the cockapoo bug x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts