I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a fabby walk in the woods with my Mum and her two dogs. Obviously they got muddy, especially Daisy who collected her normal amount of twigs along the way! At one stage she actually got stuck though! She was trying to jump through a brambly bit and then froze in the middle of it all! :( Hubby had to rescue her (he had the gloves on!).

By the time we got back home there was no way she was trotting off through the house so I stuck her in the bath (again!). Whilst bathing her I extracted another three twigs which I was not aware she had carried home :eek: several leaves and blimey, it took ages for the water to run clean!

I then brushed her and she had a couple of horrendous matts even though she had been thoroughly 'done' last weekend! I admit with everything going on last week I hadn't brushed her at all but even so I was quite surprised to find these whoppers on her legs of all places! (I think she chews the fur and causes them!)

I can't do this after every walk and I don't want to turn into an owner that avoids the mud so......do I need to bite the bullet and go to the groomer? If so do I get a wickle trim (wickle is for scared owners who don't want to get their Cockapoos trimmed) or do I be brave (hahahahaha!) and go for a Weller look (who I thought was very dashing!) or just keep on with the fluffy monster look?

She also needs her claws trimmed which I am happy to do but alas Daisy is not. I managed to cut one claw (yes one!) yesterday but it seemed to give her the hiccups! She then lay down with her paws hidden underneath her so that I couldn't see them! :eek:

Oh what to do.........? :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
I too love the longer coat but it isn't the greatest idea if you take your dog off roading, so i do keep roscoe's short for this reason. They are just as happy and they do dry off so much quicker.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Personally i prefer Betty with a fuller coat, practically i know it's been next to impossible, especially in the damper weather and as she is with a dog walker some days who i can't expect to brush her after every walk! So she is shorter at the moment and now i have to decide if i get her groomed more often but less taken off to keep her at a reasonable inbetween length.

I feel your battle!!!

x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I also love the longer coat .. but my dogs are short as winter walks are more enjoyable for my poos than having a longer coat that I pick at constantly to remove matts ... Honey is approx an inch all over and it is so much easier .. I will grow her coat longer during the spring :) thank goodness Picnic's puppy coat is matt free :) ...

Whatever you decide Sarah .. Daisy will look stunning short or long .. she a beautiful Cockapoo after all :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Having let Rufus get a little longer in the coat recently I took the decision to take him back again to a more manageable length this weekend. He was getting matts on a daily basis and just like Daisy he was gathering the contents of a school nature table during every walk! So......Rufus had a number 6 clip on Friday. This morning (Sunday) I had him back on the table as I'd forgotten to do one of his legs during the first clip!! Lol. He looked so funny on Saturday but I didn't have the time slot to finish him. The joys of home grooming!

Daisy is stunning so I can see it is a tough decision for you. On the plus side, whatever she has done, it will grow back! If you tried it shorter you could see how much easier it is practically and then next year make a decision as you have had experience of both.

Good luck with your decision making!

Karen xx

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Having let Rufus get a little longer in the coat recently I took the decision to take him back again to a more manageable length this weekend. He was getting matts on a daily basis and just like Daisy he was gathering the contents of a school nature table during every walk! So......Rufus had a number 6 clip on Friday. This morning (Sunday) I had him back on the table as I'd forgotten to do one of his legs during the first clip!! Lol. He looked so funny on Saturday but I didn't have the time slot to finish him. The joys of home grooming!

Daisy is stunning so I can see it is a tough decision for you. On the plus side, whatever she has done, it will grow back! If you tried it shorter you could see how much easier it is practically and then next year make a decision as you have had experience of both.

Good luck with your decision making!

Karen xx

Remind me never to come to you for a haircut:D:D

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Daisy's coat is gorgeous and looks like one of the easier types to maintain, but as she is 8 months old, that is the age when a lot of them get much more difficult to manage and start matting much more, so you may find that it becomes progressively harder to keep her matt free :( But she is so beautiful, it will be hard to get that coat cut short. I suspect that sooner or later you will have to though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Awww that first cut is the hardest. Freddie was 10 months when we gave in, though Darcey was about 18 months. The long look is beautiful, but in my experience (admittedly only with two cockerpoos), once the coat starts matting you have to accept that it will need cutting sooner or later. The thing is, once they have been clipped the hair tends to grow out rather than long (or at least it does on mine), so they look better kept short. Freddie always looks like he's doubled in weight when his hair gets a bit long.

So my advice - perhaps a little a scissor trim if your groomer will do it? You could go for a clip in the Spring if you can cope with her coat over the Winter?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh Karen that is so funny! Poor Rufus! :)

I am so torn I must admit. She is so beautiful with her fluffy coat but my friend has just been round to collect some dog food (we share an order but I store it) and she suggested a walk in the woods tomorrow with her Cockapoo Max! Arrrgghhhh! That will mean another bath unless I get Daisy some doggy wellies or something! :( I don't want to say no because I like doggy walks in the wood but she is going to come home a Daisy dirtbag again! :eek:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Awww that first cut is the hardest. Freddie was 10 months when we gave in, though Darcey was about 18 months. The long look is beautiful, but in my experience (admittedly only with two cockerpoos), once the coat starts matting you have to accept that it will need cutting sooner or later. The thing is, once they have been clipped the hair tends to grow out rather than long (or at least it does on mine), so they look better kept short. Freddie always looks like he's doubled in weight when his hair gets a bit long.

So my advice - perhaps a little a scissor trim if your groomer will do it? You could go for a clip in the Spring if you can cope with her coat over the Winter?
Thanks Jo. That is something that concerns me. Although I like Cockapoos short I have noticed on a couple locally that once they have been cut their coat seems to grow back differently. I love Daisy's loose coat and I don't want it to change. I have wondered if it is a coincidence that the cut is often about 10 months like Daisy and this is also when the adult coat comes in. Is it a result of the coat or is it a natural change? :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think it's just the natural coat change - which is usually the reason they end of getting cut so it all seems to happen at the same time.

I thought we would be able to keep Darcey's hair long as it seemed more wavy than curly - here's some pics of her as a youngster:

When she got to about eighteen months she looked like this:

But all of a sudden she seemed to turn into one big matt. I had her to the groomers and they got them all out:

But within about three weeks she was back to being really badly matted so enough was enough and this was the drastic result:

And just to complete the coat change pics, this is her now - a lot more curly:

Sorry for all the pictures!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great pictures! Thank you Jo. :) It is very interesting to see the changes. Darcey is gorgeous and her coat when she was younger looks quite like Daisy's now. It is amazing how curly she is now! :D x

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.