I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are looking to get a cockapoo. We would like one that needs rehoming ( i think i may have fouind one, waiting for the owner to get back to me). I have 3 children, 6 and under and have been advised that cockapoos are great with children. Has anyone had any adverse reactions with cockapoos and kids, the one im hopefully looking at has been brought up with small kids (its only 6 months old though). Is there anything that i should particularly look out for, ive had an Irish Setter but cockapoos are new to me.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
My cockapoo loves kids...I think she thinks they are pups, she especially loves my almost 4 year old nephew...but she does jump up...just teach her to keep her paws on the ground and you should be fine...they love kids and are gentle with them

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good luck with your search. My kids were really nervous of dogs, but roll around the floor with Bella and take things out of her mouth no problem, Cockapoos are great :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for all your positives (tbh i didnt know what else you would say, ive asked people who are members of I love cockapoo!) If there is anything particular i need to watch forr, breeding probs etc, ive read lots of info but nothing beats real owners advice.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
thank you for all your positives (tbh i didnt know what else you would say, ive asked people who are members of I love cockapoo!) If there is anything particular i need to watch forr, breeding probs etc, ive read lots of info but nothing beats real owners advice.
Hi Katy, and Welcome xx

IF you find an older pup / dog that is up for rehoming - the first question HAS to be "Why is it up for re-homing ???" - if the answer is simple then it is just up to you to decide. I would have thought anyone with a genuine reason would happily let you take the pup/dog for a trial period of say a week (dogs are not human and it will not upset nor scar them mentally in any way - we have dogs come here for "holidays" without issue) - after that week you will know for certain if it is for you x - IF the owner is not happy with that then I personally would be asking more questions x
This is only a suggestion - not an instruction - some that we have heard are re-homed have been where the owner ended up with a dog that was not what they thought they had bought ! (an F1b or an F2 that ended up looking just like a Cocker or a Poodle - but they wanted a "Cockapoo") - but that is not a puppy's fault - it is miss-information by the breeder !
We have not that long ago been asked to re-home a puppy (8 month old) - as the family had not thought through the whole process and she was bought to "plug a gap" but there was no gap to plug.

Happy hunting x

Stephen xx

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
viset the dog but not to pick it up. ask if you and the owned can go out a walk with it so see how it is.

ask about any isues, some problems can be blow out of proportion others are swept under the rug so as not to put you off.

ask to groom it, feel all over the dog ask when it was last at the vets for a check up even offer to pay for a quick check up just to set your mind at rest, ask if they have done any training with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts