I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have had our new pup for nearly a week now. Milo is 12 weeks old - he was an older pup when we got him and he was used to other doggy company and play!

He has settled well and is adorable, but he will not leave my side. He cries if I leave him downstairs to nip upstairs or nip out to the bins. He cries and barks when we leave him at night and I am not sure of the best way of dealing with it. He is crated at night and we have tried giving him a small run area too but it doesn't make any difference. He is fine so long as we are in the room but he can appear to be fast asleep and wake up as soon as make to leave! I don't want to be too soft and give in to him for too long (I have been sleeping on the sofa to stop him being distressed) but on the other hand he hasn't been here long and it seems to be a big adjustment for him. The one time I left him as I had to go to the school, he was in a real state when I got back. Any advice would be appreciated.

We are off to the vets later for his vaccination and microchip.

I am looking forward to joining in the forums when I have found my way round.

Thanks

Andrea

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Andrea,

Milo is lovely! I think all puppies will cry at first, but I would be careful of giving in to it - it will teach him that he just needs to cry to get you to come and sleep next to him, and then that will re-inforce the crying. It's just my approach, but we ignored Rosie at night time and it really didn't take long for her to get used to it. Oh, it sounds really harsh when I write it down! We put a hot water bottle in her cage and some people recommend leaving the radio on.

In the daytime, we didn't really leave her alone for the first week, and then after that, it was just for the school run, so 15 minutes at a time and she eventually got used to it. Leave him with a Kong toy stuffed with treats and he will be so absorbed in trying to get that, that he might not even notice you are gone!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It's really early days for Milo and especially being a slightly older pup, it's natural for him to want to be with you all the time. As he gets more settled, I'm sure it'll get easier. Some people put the crate in their room for a while to save sleeping downstairs, but you have to do what suits you best and I'm sure he'll soon get used to it. Suggest you practice leaving him just for a couple of minutes and keep doing that, gradually increasing the time, so he gets used to you coming and going. If you give a stuffed Kong, as Louise suggests, or even more exciting for him would be a raw bone, then he will be absorbed in that. In fact a bone would probably help to distract him from following you around so much - worth a try. He will settle down - they all do!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's really early days for Milo and especially being a slightly older pup, it's natural for him to want to be with you all the time. As he gets more settled, I'm sure it'll get easier. Some people put the crate in their room for a while to save sleeping downstairs, but you have to do what suits you best and I'm sure he'll soon get used to it. Suggest you practice leaving him just for a couple of minutes and keep doing that, gradually increasing the time, so he gets used to you coming and going. If you give a stuffed Kong, as Louise suggests, or even more exciting for him would be a raw bone, then he will be absorbed in that. In fact a bone would probably help to distract him from following you around so much - worth a try. He will settle down - they all do!
I always thought you weren't supposed to leave your dog alone with a bone in case of splintering? Rosie has so many littered about the garden that she clearly does chew them on her own, but I've never given her a fresh one in her cage before.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I always thought you weren't supposed to leave your dog alone with a bone in case of splintering? Rosie has so many littered about the garden that she clearly does chew them on her own, but I've never given her a fresh one in her cage before.
Raw bones are fine. I give Dylan one when I leave him. Wouldn't do it with anything like a chicken wing because of the choking potential, but I've not heard of a problem with large raw beef or lamb bones.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Raw bones are fine. I give Dylan one when I leave him. Wouldn't do it with anything like a chicken wing because of the choking potential, but I've not heard of a problem with large raw beef or lamb bones.
Rosie is going to be VERY grateful to you for that bit of wisdom, Helen, thank you!

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Hello Andrea and Milo (a cutie!). hope you enjoy the forum. There's loads of useful info on here and lots of advice and help.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi

We were told to gradually build up the separation time - start with 2 mins - just walk out, no fuss or goodbyes (I used to stand in the drive where Eddie couldn't see me!), then walk back in and again no fuss or attention (no eye contact) until they they are calm and lay down - then give them fuss.

They need to know that its ok that you leave and that you will be coming back, but if you give them loads of fuss when you come back in you are reinforcing their separation anxiety - you are basically telling them that its ok to stress as mummy will comfort you.

It takes time - we did this for a couple of weeks increasing the time we left Eddie.

A Kong or bone that you save for when you go out would be a good idea to - just to keep them entertained. We keep a raw bone in the fridge and give it Eddie when we go out. We also stuff a kong and save this for when he is left. We also leave the t.v. on!

Hope things improve soon :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcom mylo is very cute, was he rehomed or just late leacing the breeder ?

try popping him in his crate when you are just pottering about the house, give him a chew or a toy or even better a kong with some soft cheese or peanutt butter inside it (not the kong moos stuff thats a waste of money)

you just need to be tough with him, let him cry and he will eventualy learn.

try locking the crate and leaving a radio (just quiet) so he hears something. and give him the kong or whatever so he has something the foacas on.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
as you can see from above excellent advice on here :)

Leave with kong worked for me, kong wubba another favourite, have a bit of playtime before you leave the house and wee time, then go .... he will get used to it .. promise.

If you need to do something up stairs .. just crate him ... it is all new form him and you, just remember this is short lived... it will ends soon :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I will try and get out tomorrow to get a kong (never heard of them before) and will try and be stronger tonight! I did put him in the crate for a few minutes and go upstairs earlier but he really wasn't happy. I will keep trying though as the longer it goes on the worse it will be.

Thanks again

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I know it is hard .. I was so soppy with oakley ... but you have to have some time away from him.... I am laughing here as this advice is coming from the woman who hates leaving her dogs .. I am a home gal these days.

We to the vets today to get more wormer, ear cleaner and rushed back as I miss them, can back to them and couldn't wait to take them for a walk. Oh I do force myself to go to sainsburys once a week, but rush around.... always come home with a treat PIGS EAR :)

My cockapoos are my life ....

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Dexter came everywhere in the house with me when he was little- going ou to the bins, shower, even the toilet! He was like a little velcro dog! After a while he became more confident and not worried about being away from me. I can leave him for 4 hours now and he is fine. Perhaps having him in your bedroom at night would make him feel safe and close to you and he might settle quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts