I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have had to do our first groom at home , Louis was slightly overdue his appointment when lockdown happened, he’s not keen on being groomed at all , it took us 3 days and even had to muzzle him , I dread to think what he’s like for the groomers , any one else going through the same ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like you did a great job! We have been grooming Digby at home and it was certainly more of a challenge this time with our two boys also being at home😬. I usually get my husband to try to hold him steady on the table and feed him treats while I do the clippering. We give him a break and then do the same with the scissors. Then do his head and ears another time. Over the months we’ve managed to get it down to about an hour and a half in total, but that’s accepting a rough and ready look, which is fine for us 😀

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a bit rough and ready, do you trim his claws? Before picture .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes we do his nails too. (With muzzle on just in case as he’s a wriggler!)
We tend to do a nail clip every 2-3weeks, just taking 1-2 mm off each time depending on need. He is getting easier each time, but definitely doesn’t like it . It made me smile seeing Louis in his shades 😀

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes , I thought it would be nice to make people smile , is it just straightforward to clip the claws? And thank you for answering and hope you are all well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just clip a couple of mm off. If the claws are white you will be able to see where the live area begins, if they are dark you will need to look at the underside of the claw to see it. Make sure not to clip into the live part as this will be painful and bleed. The dew claw is a bit harder to get the claw clipper into, but it’s really important to do it or it curls round on itself. I would start with a YouTube clip if youve never done it, but it’s quite easy once you’ve done it a couple of times. Good luck 😀 we use a muzzle as Digby can get a bit tetchy and the muzzle just means I’m not anxious about him catching me so there’s no anxiety for him to pick up on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts