I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Cindy had her keyhole spay yesterday and if it wasn't for the cone of shame and the bandages on her hind legs where they removed her dew claws at the same time, you wouldn't know she'd had anything done! Yeah! :D
How I'm going to keep her quiet for 10 days is beyond me. She's her normal, happy, bonkers self - which is great :), but if I only give her the three ten minute walks a day recommended by the vets she'll be bouncing off the walls; cone or no cone! They suggested I leave a lead on her in the house to keep some degree of control over her leaping about, but she's such a chewer she'll destroy it in no time and while I have an old lead I can sacrifice I don't want a trip to the vets to remove the bits of it she'll eat!!!!
Short of sitting on her, has anyone got any bright ideas for keeping her quiet (LOL)?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Afraid not - Darcie was the same full of it the following day and jumping on & off the sofa with no time to stop her! She has recovered fine although had a little fluid on her belly which didnt help as she was so lively and not resting but 3 weeks om shes as good as new :) good luck x

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
It is not easy!
I found that with Kiki if I shut her in the kitchen and ignored her, she would then sleep... I only took her out for two 10 minute on lead walks for the 2 days - but then increased the number of short walks to 4. I took her out in the car to do jobs and bought her a new stag bar...
By a week after her spay we were doing two 20 minute walks across the fields and two 15 minute walks on lead to do the school run.
Ignoring her and limiting her acccess to us at home was the only way to stop her being totally nutty.
That said she healed really well and was fine. I used a onesie for her - no cone, so she was comfy, but I suppose poor Cindy has to have the cone because of her legs...

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
we kept lady on a lead in the house for the first 3 days, we also sat with her on blankets on the floor so that she didnt jump on to the couch to be with us.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Farley goes in for her op tomorrow and I'm having the same concerns. Think she might have to go back into her crate at night, and whilst I'm at work for a few hours, to stop her from jumping up onto the chairs and windowsill! Have got a onesie ready for when she comes home. Fingers crossed she heals quickly without any infections.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
My vet more or less said do what you can but don't get too hooked up on it...they are gonna do what they are gonna do!!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Bonnie was so lively the vet said if she didn't calm down she may have to be sedated. It was a real effort to keep her quiet but Dexter was very gentle with her.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm in for an interesting 10 days :D.
Cindy's finally crashed out having led us a merry dance all day - not that I'm complaining, I'm just glad she's recovered so quickly. She's discovered that she can twist round far enough to pull the dressing from under the bandages on her legs and that she can scratch her spay incisions with her back leg - so the cone of shame may well prove to be redundant and I need eyes in the back of my head to make sure she doesn't do any damage. Sedatives....for Cindy? or for me by the end of next week? :D

Hope all goes well for Farley tomorrow and she has an equally quick recovery :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picked Farley up from the vets tonight following her op. Had a wee and poo as soon as she got home and had something to eat and drink. Still very sleepy and calm at the moment, can't see that lasting long. I'm sure she will be back to her lively self tomorrow. Onesie on so she can't get to her wound.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad Farley's ok. She looks really cute in her onsie. Hope you had a peaceful night. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Post op so far so good. Went back to the vets yesterday, day after op, as she just wanted to check that Farley had eaten/had a wee & poo and that her wound was ok. No external stitches so no further trips to vets needed. I'm keeping Farley on her lead in the house and she is sleeping in her crate at night and whilst I'm at work in the morning. Still quite soppy and wants lots of fuss. Think she is going to milk this for as long as possible! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Farley looks so much like my Molly, who is being being spayed on Friday, she'll have just turned 6 months and seems so young to be having such an operation. I'm dreading it. I am looking at onesies, but have no idea what size to get. A friend is going to give me some old baby grows to try!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the size advice. Had Farley had her first season? I'm beginning to panic that we are having her done too early, but I've just taken our vet's advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Farley hadn't had her first season. I also went on my vet's advice. There are so many different opinions on this that you just have to go with what is right for you. Farley has taken it in her stride and so far has been the perfect patient. Let us know how Molly gets on on Friday.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is a picture of Farley's scar 5 days after her operation. As you can see it us healing nicely. Onesie has definitely helped it to heal quickly

Attachments

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
in a few months you wont even see a scar I am sure....Lady has no trace of one at all. its quite amazing

1 - 20 of 28 Posts